Anabaptist Evangelism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Anabaptist Evangelism

Post by Sudsy »

My family was unchurched and what most Anabapists would call very worldly. My mother was most influenced by my grandmother through her explanation of the Gospel. She had some very immediate, radical changes to her lifestyle upon becoming a Christ follower. My father was more of a 'show me something about your religion that makes me interested' and he mocked some of his friends who were churched but not showing anything that interested him as something attractive. If they had a light they kept it well hid under a bushel as scripture says. I think he found out later they were just religious but had not received a new heart. My mother's changed life over a two year period, when he gave her a hard time about her faith, was a big factor that what she had was real. The final drawing to investigate Christianity further was hearing the joy filled singing coming out the windows of that little Pentecostal church. He had to go see for himself and upon hearing the Gospel preached he responded and was also immediately, radically changed. He called it 'when I got converted'.

I think of a song we used to sing a few years ago that went -

What you are speaks so loud
That the world can't hear what you say
They're looking at your walk
Not listening to your talk
They're judging from your actions every day
Don't believe you'll deceive
By claiming what you've never known
They'll accept what they see
They know you to be
They'll judge by your life alone

I think that was what Greg was feeling convicted about in the OP video. We need a walk that opens the door for talk about the Good News. Imo, the walk that many of us present to the world here in North America does not draw people to the Light that Jesus is. I think a whole lot of dead religion is the bushel hiding this Light. This conviction hit me while watching this video as my experience in the past was much like Greg's.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Unfortunately I made fun at my wife too...
But yet her unwavering commitment to go to church without apology and silently bearing my cutting unloving remarks eventually softened my hard heart. :cry:
Blessing those that curse you and doing good and loving those hurting you is an extremely strong expression of Christ's love and effective in evangelism, but not on purpose. Rather the love, commitment and closeness to God is startling to the unbeliever.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:Unfortunately I made fun at my wife too...
But yet her unwavering commitment to go to church without apology and silently bearing my cutting unloving remarks eventually softened my hard heart. :cry:
Blessing those that curse you and doing good and loving those hurting you is an extremely strong expression of Christ's love and effective in evangelism, but not on purpose. Rather the love, commitment and closeness to God is startling to the unbeliever.
Good to hear that testimony of another Christian wife who remained faithful and steadfast.

I think how we respond at the funeral of a loved one can also be quite a testimony. I have been to a some funerals of Christians where it really was a wonderful celebration. There was support for those who now need to adjust to losing someone but so much was stated about them now being with their Lord and what a joy that must be. We do not grieve as those who have no hope.

And there are many other ways where a Christ follower will stand out as having something special. How we respond to things the world fears with a peace and confidence in God. How we respond to trials of all sorts if we count them as joyous opportunities. How we react to direct insults. How we avoid being involved in slandering anyone. How we work hard and help others. How we stay unattached to temporal things. How we appear as ambassadors and strangers in a foreign country. How we reach out to those who society looks down their nose at. So many ways that can open doors to share who it is that causes us to be this way.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit