Anabaptist Evangelism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Anabaptist Evangelism

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Martin wrote:
Sudsy wrote: Not all Anabaptists but many in our local area do not expand other than through raising children to follow in their group's footsteps.
This to me is evangelism.
I hate to be so blunt, but to me this is Judaism, perhaps even the Pharisaical brand.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote:
Wade wrote:The scriptures talk about being faithful with little and then being trusted with much.
I believe at least from my limited view that those wanting to honestly commit 100% are looking for something different than someone wearing a wedding ring against the teaching of scripture, with an energy drink sitting by, and with rock and roll looking set up in the background... I know these things aren't the weightier matters but they are a turn off.
People that want to join you together in something usually care less about what you say and more about what you do.
Like it or not, the people with the energy drinks, wedding rings, and playing drum sets are also the people preaching and spreading the gospel.
Which "gospel"?
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

Here's a quote from The Recovery of the Anabaptist Vision:
One significant implication of the Great Commission is the conception of the Christian calling or "vocation" according to to which all cultural aims are subordinated to the missionary task. All concerns of life such as family, occupation, guild, education, political responsibility all the elements of civilization to which men give themselves, are either subordinated or eliminated. Theologically this represents a judgment as to how far the natural order may lay claim on the Christian. A general characteristic of Anabaptism is its preoccupation with the purely redemptive processes. The orders of creation (Schöpfungsordnung) are acknowledged but they are left to Providence while the Christian devotes his energies to the preaching of the Word. [omitted] ...as between the socially unsettling mobility of itineracy and the stability of the "station", the Anabaptists instinctively chose the former. They saw themselves in the line of Abraham, who "went out not knowing whither he went." They accepted as normative the "insecurity" of faith with Jesus who had no place to lay His head and with the disciples who were called up to "take no thought for the morrow". Their first command was to "go". The natural demands of home and occupation were frequently regarded as "worldly concerns".
If the author of this chapter/essay is to be believed, then, in my own words, the early Anabaptists were rabid about sharing the Gospel. I think a fair argument could be made that it was just a "season", a result of the turmoil and upheaval of the times, and that season is long past. This kind of instability and insecurity is unsustainable perhaps, especially if you want stable churches and the ability to send missionaries to foreign fields at the expense of the home-folk. But these arguments and the others we could make - are they just excuses we use to make ourselves less responsible for sharing the Gospel?
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Martin wrote:
Sudsy wrote: Not all Anabaptists but many in our local area do not expand other than through raising children to follow in their group's footsteps.
I hate to be so blunt, but to me this is Judaism, perhaps even the Pharisaical brand.
No worries about your bluntness. My parents' faith did have a huge influence on me eventually choosing the same faith so I guess I'm Jewish. (Now, that I think about it, I'm a Messianic Jew just minus the phylactery). So because of this I would consider my parents to be evangelists.

It really bothers me though when people knock groups: Amish, Hutterites, and some Mennonites for not "reaching out" when these groups are retaining their young people and their population is booming. If you have real faith, I think your kids will want the same, right? Or am I being too simplistic. For me, this is proof that the faith is alive and well.

Also, Wayne, what do you think of the Bruderhof's reaching out or evangelism?
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Like it or not, the people with the energy drinks, wedding rings, and playing drum sets are also the people preaching and spreading the gospel.
Which "gospel"?
Huh? Of the 3 things mentioned, one is mentioned in scripture, and some translators have corrupted even that verse.
Bit of a jump to go from seeing energy drinks, wedding bands, and a certain instrument to seeing a corrupted message of Jesus Christ, don't you think?

The Apostolic Latter Day Church of Christ (new denomination?) may preach against all 3... anyone want to organize?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Martin wrote:
Even the Pharisees sent out missionaries.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Josh wrote:Like it or not, the people with the energy drinks, wedding rings, and playing drum sets are also the people preaching and spreading the gospel.
Which "gospel"?
In the case I’m thinking of, John Wesley’s. There is a significant call to discipleship and changed lives.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Martin wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:
Martin wrote:
No worries about your bluntness. My parents' faith did have a huge influence on me eventually choosing the same faith so I guess I'm Jewish. (Now, that I think about it, I'm a Messianic Jew just minus the phylactery). So because of this I would consider my parents to be evangelists.

It really bothers me though when people knock groups: Amish, Hutterites, and some Mennonites for not "reaching out" when these groups are retaining their young people and their population is booming. If you have real faith, I think your kids will want the same, right? Or am I being too simplistic. For me, this is proof that the faith is alive and well.

One wonders how those of us born with Gentile parents are going to be saved, then.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Martin wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:
Martin wrote:
My parents faith also had a huge influence on me. This is true of almost every man and woman born. I was baptized as an infant, received my first holy communion and was confirmed as a boy in the Roman faith. For most of us, our family, our neighbors, our culture, determines our religion. Religion is a cultural trait. If you were born of Hindu parents you would probably be Hindu. If the Stoltzfuses and Fishers were of Pakistani origin, they would probably be Muslim. Without religious propagation through socialization many (most) religions would die - and some have.

But I believe that the message and mission of Jesus is not some set of religious beliefs and rituals that can be passed on as an heirloom, rather the message of Jesus is something that must be brought to all men and women of every religion for whom it is good news to hear of God's kingdom. The Kingdom of God, which Jesus proclaimed, is something that transcends religion - it should create its own culture or at least a counter-culture. Jesus said "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."
It's actually quite easy to retain one's children in their culture and religion. That is why few people of any religion are converted to a religion different from that of their parents. It is not at all proof of any healthy living faith. If so then Islam and Mormonism are healthy living faiths.

I don't recall Jesus, at any point in His mission among us, suggesting that we should restrict our children's contacts, language, education, or style of clothing in order to make disciples. But he did say "Go and make disciples of all nations..."
I have long ago given up on paying any attention to the Bruderhof's recruitment efforts. I've done my small part in discouraging people from seeking there. Most first generation members who joined the Bruderhof in modern times (since the 1980's) have left. The Bruderhof is well on its way to becoming its own peculiar ethnicity because the absurdity of their beliefs becomes so apparent to someone from outside who joins them.
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Martin wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: I hate to be so blunt, but to me this is Judaism, perhaps even the Pharisaical brand.
My parents faith also had a huge influence on me. This is true of almost every man and woman born. I was baptized as an infant, received my first holy communion and was confirmed as a boy in the Roman faith. For most of us, our family, our neighbors, our culture, determines our religion. Religion is a cultural trait. If you were born of Hindu parents you would probably be Hindu. If the Stoltzfuses and Fishers were of Pakistani origin, they would probably be Muslim. Without religious propagation through socialization many (most) religions would die - and some have.

But I believe that the message and mission of Jesus is not some set of religious beliefs and rituals that can be passed on as an heirloom, rather the message of Jesus is something that must be brought to all men and women of every religion for whom it is good news to hear of God's kingdom. The Kingdom of God, which Jesus proclaimed, is something that transcends religion - it should create its own culture or at least a counter-culture. Jesus said "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."
It's actually quite easy to retain one's children in their culture and religion. That is why few people of any religion are converted to a religion different from that of their parents. It is not at all proof of any healthy living faith. If so then Islam and Mormonism are healthy living faiths.

I don't recall Jesus, at any point in His mission among us, suggesting that we should restrict our children's contacts, language, education, or style of clothing in order to make disciples. But he did say "Go and make disciples of all nations..."
I have long ago given up on paying any attention to the Bruderhof's recruitment efforts. I've done my small part in discouraging people from seeking there. Most first generation members who joined the Bruderhof in modern times (since the 1980's) have left. The Bruderhof is well on its way to becoming its own peculiar ethnicity because the absurdity of their beliefs and practices becomes so apparent to someone from outside who joins them and who is not thoroughly brainwashed of corrupted with privileged status.
0 x