Investing for Retirement

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Investing for Retirement

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Curious if they would have a problem with a pension one got at work? I am talking about the old "defined benefit" kind, which you can't touch, until you die or retire, whichever comes first :D

J.M.
I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Curious if they would have a problem with a pension one got at work? I am talking about the old "defined benefit" kind, which you can't touch, until you die or retire, whichever comes first :D

J.M.
I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
Yeah, I would love to see Edsel's take on this. Mine was a contributory plan so I paid for a good part of it. At the end, it is in effect, an annuity. Most university retirement plans were that way, until recently.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Yeah, I would love to see Edsel's take on this. Mine was a contributory plan so I paid for a good part of it. At the end, it is in effect, an annuity. Most university retirement plans were that way, until recently.

J.M.
My university pension is essentially the same as yours. It was something I paid into as well as the universities' contributions where I taught.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

As I was checking the Enga language translation of Acts 2:45 just now, I was struck by something in the ESV text. The verse reads:

And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.

There are two interesting things to note. The first is that the verbs were selling and distributing are in the imperfect tense. That means that they were ongoing actions happenings over a period of time. In other words, they didn't sell everything all at once. Rather, as the need arose, they would sell their possessions and distribute to those in need.

I wonder if that should be more of our focus in the discussion about Luke 12:33 and Matthew 6:19, not that we should have no possessions, but rather that we should sell (or liquidate or withdraw from our account) and distribute as needs arise.

Of course the complication is that the needs in the world are so great that we could sell everything we own and hardly make a dent (unless we are one of the 8 men in the world whose wealth equals that bottom 50%).

Thoughts?
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Adam wrote:There are two interesting things to note. The first is that the verbs were selling and distributing are in the imperfect tense. That means that they were ongoing actions happenings over a period of time. In other words, they didn't sell everything all at once. Rather, as the need arose, they would sell their possessions and distribute to those in need.
this makes a lot of sense to me.

but of course, it's entirely possible that it makes sense because it's what i want to make sense.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme