Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Post by silentreader »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm
silentreader wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm Can someone tell me the affiliation or 'type' of Family Harvest Mennonite Church in Fredericksburg PA?
BMA the last I knew.
Thank you.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:03 am From the OP

For an overview of the different Anabaptist groups and some thoughts on choosing a church with which to fellowship, An Overview of the Plain People will give you lots of information.

Ever since the Anabaptist movement began in 1525, it has been difficult for Anabaptists to stay separate from the world while retaining the vision and values of the early Anabaptists.
This chart shows what happened in North America as various groups have tried to avoid assimilating into the surrounding host culture.

Anyone is welcome to ask questions!
Here is a new resource on the Anabaptist spectrum by Joshua Lindsey

Joshua Lindsey
https://www.mastersbaptistcollege.com/administration
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

silentreader wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:41 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm
silentreader wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm Can someone tell me the affiliation or 'type' of Family Harvest Mennonite Church in Fredericksburg PA?
BMA the last I knew.
Thank you.
Late to the party, but I think they were a spin-off/plant from nearby Womelsdorf Mennonite.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I am interested in checking out a conservative Anabaptist fellowship. I've visited a few but they are all like 4 hours from where we live. My wife and I are considering moving if we find a good church, but it's a big consideration and she is more hesitant about doing so. So as a fallback, I am wondering if there is one near me that I can at the very least be a regular attendee at their church services.

I've checked out a BMA church and we are visiting another. We also visited a Rosedale church that is on the more conservative end of that network. These are places that were comfortable. We've visited several Bruderhof communities but that's not really what we're both looking for.

I live in Queensbury, NY. It is about an hour north of Albany, 30 minutes south of Lake George. An hour from the Vermont border.
We have obviously visited churches on the more progressive end of the spectrum of conservative Mennonite churches (or just beyond the spectrum). Finding other fellowships that are more conservative wasn't my first option, but it's also hard because the further conservative you go, the less likely there is to be information online that is easy to find. At this point, I don't care how conservative they are as long as they have church services open to visitors and have them in English. Years ago I used to see a family bring baked goods to trade fairs in our town, but they could have been far away and just made the day trip to sell their wares. But I assume there is something somewhat near me.

For the record, the closest church to me are in Lowville, Brooklyn, and a town about an hour south of Rochester. All of these are close to 4 hours away... too far to drive even on a Sunday morning!
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:54 pm I am interested in checking out a conservative Anabaptist fellowship. I've visited a few but they are all like 4 hours from where we live. My wife and I are considering moving if we find a good church, but it's a big consideration and she is more hesitant about doing so. So as a fallback, I am wondering if there is one near me that I can at the very least be a regular attendee at their church services.

I've checked out a BMA church and we are visiting another. We also visited a Rosedale church that is on the more conservative end of that network. These are places that were comfortable. We've visited several Bruderhof communities but that's not really what we're both looking for.

I live in Queensbury, NY. It is about an hour north of Albany, 30 minutes south of Lake George. An hour from the Vermont border.
We have obviously visited churches on the more progressive end of the spectrum of conservative Mennonite churches (or just beyond the spectrum). Finding other fellowships that are more conservative wasn't my first option, but it's also hard because the further conservative you go, the less likely there is to be information online that is easy to find. At this point, I don't care how conservative they are as long as they have church services open to visitors and have them in English. Years ago I used to see a family bring baked goods to trade fairs in our town, but they could have been far away and just made the day trip to sell their wares. But I assume there is something somewhat near me.

For the record, the closest church to me are in Lowville, Brooklyn, and a town about an hour south of Rochester. All of these are close to 4 hours away... too far to drive even on a Sunday morning!
i’m interested in learning with you. :)
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:54 pm I am interested in checking out a conservative Anabaptist fellowship. I've visited a few but they are all like 4 hours from where we live. My wife and I are considering moving if we find a good church, but it's a big consideration and she is more hesitant about doing so. So as a fallback, I am wondering if there is one near me that I can at the very least be a regular attendee at their church services.

Probably too conservative for you but it looks like there is a Nationwide Mennonite church near Bennington VT, and an Eastern one in the area of Wolcott VT.
2 x
Praxis+Theodicy

I saw the Nationwide church in Bennington and I plan on visiting it. Anything we should know before going? The entry for that fellowship on GAMEO lists their distinctives but they don't seem very, well... distinctive. It's stuff like the inerrancy of scripture. They didn't split off over a certain type of clothing or anything.

Which "constituency" would Nationwide fall under in the Introduction to the Plain People document at the top of this thread?
1 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:05 am I saw the Nationwide church in Bennington and I plan on visiting it. Anything we should know before going? The entry for that fellowship on GAMEO lists their distinctives but they don't seem very, well... distinctive. It's stuff like the inerrancy of scripture. They didn't split off over a certain type of clothing or anything.

Which "constituency" would Nationwide fall under in the Introduction to the Plain People document at the top of this thread?
I think they are considered ultra-conservative.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:05 am I saw the Nationwide church in Bennington and I plan on visiting it. Anything we should know before going? The entry for that fellowship on GAMEO lists their distinctives but they don't seem very, well... distinctive. It's stuff like the inerrancy of scripture. They didn't split off over a certain type of clothing or anything.

Here is a page that will tell you much about attending a ultra-conservative, intermediate-conservative, or moderate-conservative Anabaptist church.
Insert one of these terms instead of "Beachy" and everything will mostly apply.

http://www.beachyam.org/FAQs.htm
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Praxis+Theodicy

Hello.

In my search for Anabaptist churches, after many intentional months, I've found myself looking at "Christian Fellowship" churches. It was not easy!!! By the grace of God I came upon them through meeting people and hearing about these churches. But as you can guess, finding out about these churches is no easy task for a seeker. The name itself isn't very "Googleable", and they seem pretty averse to big denominational structures, so there isn't much of an umbrella organization with a website or any other accessible information. They are also averse to many labels, and don't like "Mennonite" as a label, but when pressed to define themselves, they have all offered the term "anabaptist" as a label. They cooperate with other Christian Fellowship churches and Mennonite churches, but this still doesn't make them easy to find.

Is this a good place to discuss these churches, help others find out more about them, and ask for information? Or should I start a new thread?
0 x