Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Post by Josh »

A less conservative church often accepts people from sticky situations like this. And that’s why a lot of groups gradually trend less and less conservative over time.

It would do “conservatives” well to decide to explore the backgrounds of people who want to transfer. Some of them have legitimate reasons and some don’t. The situations Steve-k describes… well, any decent church should have been reasonable and accepted their desire to move based on his story.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:39 am What are some of the impediments that prevent a seeker from admission to an Anabaptist fellowship?
Negative speech and insults?
Cynicism?
Refusal to obey the tenets of the group?
Divorce and remarriage has proven to be a really big one.

And submission to governments. Had a Christian guy this week tell me that he had no problem with wearing a mask during Covid, until the government told him he had to. Then he said “You can’t tell me what to do!”. He wasn’t the only one who responded exactly like that.

Nonresistance is one that some people don’t subscribe to.

Lifestyle rules. For example one guy today seemed to find it mildly peculiar that we don’t play golf. Our dress code is sort of complex, some are attracted by it, while others repelled.

These are things that might prevent a seeker from joining. Issues that cause a seeker to leave are different.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:12 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:39 am What are some of the impediments that prevent a seeker from admission to an Anabaptist fellowship?
Cynicism?

And submission to governments. Had a Christian guy this week tell me that he had no problem with wearing a mask during Covid, until the government told him he had to. Then he said “You can’t tell me what to do!”. He wasn’t the only one who responded exactly like that.

Lifestyle rules. For example one guy today seemed to find it mildly peculiar that we don’t play golf. Our dress code is sort of complex, some are attracted by it, while others repelled.

These are things that might prevent a seeker from joining. Issues that cause a seeker to leave are different.

D&R likewise.
We do not do golf either. In fact we do not follow most sports at all which make us somewhat odd to fellow Catholics.

That attitude of "You can't tell me what to do!": do you find that it bleeds into their attitudes at church as well?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 pm
Cynicism?

D&R likewise.
We do not do golf either. In fact we do not follow most sports at all which make us somewhat odd to fellow Catholics.

That attitude of "You can't tell me what to do!": do you find that it bleeds into their attitudes at church as well?
Not generally. They give up that attitude in order to join.
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:39 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 pm

D&R likewise.

Not generally. They give up that attitude in order to join.
Do you find that it easy for them to make that change or is it a process?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm actually shocked at how many "plain" men play golf.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh

Post by Josh »

In a transitional Anabaptist setting, as people who think they are "plain" or "conservative" are gradually becoming more worldly, it is not uncommon to see them start to pick up stereotypically worldly hobbies like playing golf.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:02 pm In a transitional Anabaptist setting, as people who think they are "plain" or "conservative" are gradually becoming more worldly, it is not uncommon to see them start to pick up stereotypically worldly hobbies like playing golf.
Some of that, to its defense, comes from the corporate world. As Mennonite businesses grow, they get invited to golf outings, paid cruises and the like. If you want to maintain your relationships, you gotta go with the flow.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:04 pm Some of that, to its defense, comes from the corporate world. As Mennonite businesses grow, they get invited to golf outings, paid cruises and the like. If you want to maintain your relationships, you gotta go with the flow.
That seems to be one of those complex discernment processes.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:04 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:02 pm In a transitional Anabaptist setting, as people who think they are "plain" or "conservative" are gradually becoming more worldly, it is not uncommon to see them start to pick up stereotypically worldly hobbies like playing golf.
Some of that, to its defense, comes from the corporate world. As Mennonite businesses grow, they get invited to golf outings, paid cruises and the like. If you want to maintain your relationships, you gotta go with the flow.
Strangely enough, I've never had to do any of these things in the "corporate world". I did used to imbibe (rather heavily) with my colleagues and clients, but since becoming a Christian I've stopped doing that. After the COVID thing happened, this stopped being such a big deal.
0 x