Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Re: CAM Molestation Issue

Post by Aurien »

KirkDaniel wrote:
Aslanhasheard wrote:
KirkDaniel wrote:
More power to 'em.

I wonder if this is one of the locals?
I'm inclined to think it is since they're using Slater & Zurz LLP that's based in Akron, Ohio.

The Daily Record confirms it is a local. Made me want to cry this morning. All that this young man has gone through that now he feels he must take this step.
It's also in The Pittsbugh Post Gazette. Both sites put up a paywall but here are the links if anyone wants to try reading them.

https://www.the-daily-record.com/news/2 ... se-lawsuit

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime ... 1909200136
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

I'm not sure if this exactly fits here but it does mention CAM so I'm posting it here.

This guy is apparently a former Catholic turned Anabaptist and he has some things to say about how some Anabaptist responses to sexual abuse resemble certain Catholic practices.

https://anabaptistmedicalmatters.blogsp ... -past.html
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ernie posted this in the links thread, but I'm reposting here in case anyone missed it.

https://christianaidministries.org/high ... stigation/
CAM wrote:Update on Haiti abuse case
Sep 20, 2019

Thank you for your continued prayers and patience as we work through the difficult situation involving the abuse of minors in Haiti. The Board of Directors and CAM management are taking this issue very seriously and have been meeting frequently to determine the best path forward. We sincerely apologize that this abuse was committed by our employee.

An Anabaptist care group independent of CAM recently traveled to Haiti to research ways they can equip Haitian pastors to minister to victims. We are grateful for those who have made themselves available to meet emotional and spiritual needs. Our desire is for victims to experience healing.

The board has moved to provide appropriate assistance for confirmed victims. We started with reparation agreements with several known victims who had expressed a need of housing, vocational training, etc. We have since moved to a more comprehensive plan that includes a committee in Haiti that carefully considers each case and provides direct help for victims who come forward.

CAM recognizes that effective long-term success in protecting against sexual abuse requires, among other things, continual improvement of the hiring process and supervision of staff. Current efforts are focused on more robust background checks and screening. CAM is also strengthening current whistleblower and accountability programs. To accomplish these goals, CAM will provide updated training to employees on how to take more effective action should they become aware of inappropriate behavior or abuse.

Please continue to pray for the victims and all involved.

Sincerely,

The Board of Directors
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

mike wrote:Ernie posted this in the links thread, but I'm reposting here in case anyone missed it.

https://christianaidministries.org/high ... stigation/
CAM wrote:Update on Haiti abuse case
Sep 20, 2019

Thank you for your continued prayers and patience as we work through the difficult situation involving the abuse of minors in Haiti. The Board of Directors and CAM management are taking this issue very seriously and have been meeting frequently to determine the best path forward. We sincerely apologize that this abuse was committed by our employee.

An Anabaptist care group independent of CAM recently traveled to Haiti to research ways they can equip Haitian pastors to minister to victims. We are grateful for those who have made themselves available to meet emotional and spiritual needs. Our desire is for victims to experience healing.

The board has moved to provide appropriate assistance for confirmed victims. We started with reparation agreements with several known victims who had expressed a need of housing, vocational training, etc. We have since moved to a more comprehensive plan that includes a committee in Haiti that carefully considers each case and provides direct help for victims who come forward.

CAM recognizes that effective long-term success in protecting against sexual abuse requires, among other things, continual improvement of the hiring process and supervision of staff. Current efforts are focused on more robust background checks and screening. CAM is also strengthening current whistleblower and accountability programs. To accomplish these goals, CAM will provide updated training to employees on how to take more effective action should they become aware of inappropriate behavior or abuse.

Please continue to pray for the victims and all involved.

Sincerely,

The Board of Directors
Thanks for highlighting it. I had missed that one. There are things I appreciate about this statement.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Aslanhasheard wrote:I'm not sure if this exactly fits here but it does mention CAM so I'm posting it here.

This guy is apparently a former Catholic turned Anabaptist and he has some things to say about how some Anabaptist responses to sexual abuse resemble certain Catholic practices.

https://anabaptistmedicalmatters.blogsp ... -past.html
These many cases have convinced me, no matter denomination label, OR secular setting,
when sins+crimes occur, they are “equalizers” in gravity. They all fall into one common place:
outside Jesus Christ.

The commonality of how these abuse crimes unfold in all settings is staggering, and humblng.
No one can any longer delude themselves, “It would never happen here.”

We can now pray, “The jig is up.” But, no going back to sleep. :-|

Real change can only come from recognizing sin, confessing, repenting, submitting, obeying.
No skipping-over any of the steps. No matter who one is, no matter how important or how lowly.

My question remains, why do we fight so hard against the one process that will lead to salvation?!
It’s such a puzzle. It makes no sense. We should RUN to it! This is where Life is found.
People can be crazy, myself first in that line. i ask myself, “Why?”- and continue the struggle. :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

There are a lot of things I like about that statement.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:There are a lot of things I like about that statement.
The message is conveyed, “We hear you.” A milestone.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Randal Martin wrote:Jesus is being misrepresented in Haiti where CAM has continuously badgered Jeriah's victims with their attorneys and staff to settle for a cash payout. Those who have accepted payouts are being refused the very document they signed.
1) Can this be confirmed? 2) Why?
The CAM board has been aware of these "charges" for quite some time, but has not been able to validate or confirm any of this. If it is true, they would like to know about it. They are not trying to hide anything.

Some cash payouts were given to victims initially for "civil repair" but there was no intention to "silence the victims" from sharing about the abuse that happened to them. Some victims did sign a document agreeing to not disclose the amount of the settlement. This was made a very voluntary thing, done in conjunction with their parents and guardians, with no pressure whatsoever. Victims were told that they could talk about the abuse. The amount given to victims was based on their needs for a house or for job training, etc.
The board member who spent time in Haiti meeting with victims explains that American culture is different from Haitian culture. Americans would think of victims needing counseling. Haitian's don't think that way. They want "civil repair" for their inability to get a job in their local town or have a place to live.
CAM has moved toward giving "gifts in kind" where possible, as cash can sometimes hinder a victim's ability to succeed rather than help them to succeed. Victims are no longer being asked to sign the aforementioned document. While talking about the amount of settlement could create envy or misunderstandings, CAM does not want the victims or any spectators anywhere thinking that CAM is trying to silence victims. That has never been their intention at all.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Aurien

Post by Aurien »

Ernie wrote:
Randal Martin wrote:Jesus is being misrepresented in Haiti where CAM has continuously badgered Jeriah's victims with their attorneys and staff to settle for a cash payout. Those who have accepted payouts are being refused the very document they signed.
1) Can this be confirmed? 2) Why?
The CAM board has been aware of these "charges" for quite some time, but has not been able to validate or confirm any of this. If it is true, they would like to know about it. They are not trying to hide anything.

Some cash payouts were given to victims initially for "civil repair" but there was no intention to "silence the victims" from sharing about the abuse that happened to them. Some victims did sign a document agreeing to not disclose the amount of the settlement. This was made a very voluntary thing, done in conjunction with their parents and guardians, with no pressure whatsoever. Victims were told that they could talk about the abuse. The amount given to victims was based on their needs for a house or for job training, etc.
The board member who spent time in Haiti meeting with victims explains that American culture is different from Haitian culture. Americans would think of victims needing counseling. Haitian's don't think that way. They want "civil repair" for their inability to get a job in their local town or have a place to live.
CAM has moved toward giving "gifts in kind" where possible, as cash can sometimes hinder a victim's ability to succeed rather than help them to succeed. Victims are no longer being asked to sign the aforementioned document. While talking about the amount of settlement could create envy or misunderstandings, CAM does not want the victims or any spectators anywhere thinking that CAM is trying to silence victims. That has never been their intention at all.
How did victims end up with the impression that they weren't allowed to talk about the settlements OR the abuse at all?
0 x

Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:The CAM scandal has become the whipping boy for all things bad about conservative Anabaptists.
I don't think so, but the handling of the situation could be.
I am still saddened by what happened but am grateful with the direction of which CAM seems to be trying to go with handling things. I went so far as recommend CAM to someone recently that asked my advice about a charity to donate to.
0 x