CAM Molestation Issue

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Re: CAM Molestation Issue

Post by queserasera_2 »

I'm not overly familiar with law processes, but what would they be hoping to get from this action?
0 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

queserasera_2 wrote:I'm not overly familiar with law processes, but what would they be hoping to get from this action?
The court docket says "Other Intentional Tort."
"Torts are acts committed by one or more individuals or entities (“tortfeasors”) that result in harm to another individual or entity. The harm is often physical injury, but it can also include reputational harm or property damages. Most torts are caused by negligence or carelessness, but some are intentional. Intentional torts, such as battery or false imprisonment, are those that carry an element of intent. Generally, intentional torts are harder to prove than negligence, since a plaintiff must show that the defendant did something on purpose."
https://www.justia.com/injury/intentional-torts/

So I'm guessing monetary restitution from Jeriah would be the goal of this action.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
mike wrote:Can an alcoholic be cured overnight to the extent where he could be trusted to eat in a bar without being tempted to drink? I could be convinced of that being possible long before I would believe that a person with a serious sexual addiction could be cured overnight.
Anyone in true recovery wouldn't [tempt] themselves like that. That's just stupid.
well, i think those of us who have rejected any sin or temptation for Jesus’ sake understand the awful fear of falling back into that temptation, whatever it might be. i thank God i am not tempted by alcohol or abuse of the vulnerable, but i have my own struggles, they are enough to help me appreciate the hard battles others fight, and must fight. some are monumental. we are to encourage one another.

Personally avoiding, or refusing, to return to places of temptation is critical, whether gov or others see the potential pitfall or not. Know yourself, be honest. Be strong. In ignorance, some offer alcohol to alcoholics. Don’t be a stumbling block, don’t fall for them, either. It can require terrific internal fortitude.
1 Thessalonians 5:11
https://biblehub.com/1_thessalonians/5-11.htm

…10He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him.

11Therefore encourage and build one another up, just as you are already doing.

12But we ask you, brothers, to acknowledge those who work diligently among you, who preside over you in the Lord and give you instruction.…
the world can be a hard place. we must continually return to Our Father for direction and strength. it’s a fight for Life or death. choose Life!
Excellent Post-
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Aslanhasheard wrote:
queserasera_2 wrote:I'm not overly familiar with law processes, but what would they be hoping to get from this action?
The court docket says "Other Intentional Tort."
"Torts are acts committed by one or more individuals or entities (“tortfeasors”) that result in harm to another individual or entity. The harm is often physical injury, but it can also include reputational harm or property damages. Most torts are caused by negligence or carelessness, but some are intentional. Intentional torts, such as battery or false imprisonment, are those that carry an element of intent. Generally, intentional torts are harder to prove than negligence, since a plaintiff must show that the defendant did something on purpose."
https://www.justia.com/injury/intentional-torts/

So I'm guessing monetary restitution from Jeriah would be the goal of this action.
Waste of time and money........unless his name is on the family farm.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

His family is pretty well-connected, and probably has not taken many measures toward asset protection - most plain families around these parts don't.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote:His family is pretty well-connected, and probably has not taken many measures toward asset protection - most plain families around these parts don't.
Well, the extended family aren't going to share any legal liability for anything JM did. However if he has any assets in the immediate family, including assets in his wife's name, those could be subject to seizure for restitution. Personal savings, real estate investments, college savings, etc. Some assets are immune from lawsuits such as certain retirement accounts and primary residence depending on the state. Also, if he did make any attempts to hide assets such as transferring them to a brother or parent or some else's name or tried to hide them in some way. Those arrangements can be unwound by a court. You can't just "give away" your money or even do things like donate it to charity or a church if there are legal claims against you. The courts can unwind all of that sort of thing and are very good at it. I sort of doubt that a long-term CAM missionary has a lot of assets to hide. But one never knows.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
KirkDaniel
Affiliation:

Post by KirkDaniel »

Aslanhasheard wrote:According to the Holmes County Court records site a "John Doe" has filed a civil claim against Jeriah Mast.
More power to 'em.

I wonder if this is one of the locals?
0 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

KirkDaniel wrote:
Aslanhasheard wrote:According to the Holmes County Court records site a "John Doe" has filed a civil claim against Jeriah Mast.
More power to 'em.

I'm inclined to think it is since they're using Slater & Zurz LLP that's based in Akron, Ohio.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Aslanhasheard wrote:
KirkDaniel wrote:
More power to 'em.

I'm inclined to think it is since they're using Slater & Zurz LLP that's based in Akron, Ohio.
If they are on contingency, they have sniffed out something.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
KirkDaniel
Affiliation:

Post by KirkDaniel »

Aslanhasheard wrote:
KirkDaniel wrote:
More power to 'em.

The Daily Record confirms it is a local. Made me want to cry this morning. All that this young man has gone through that now he feels he must take this step.
0 x