Finding a "Kingdom Christian" Church in my Area

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Finding a "Kingdom Christian" Church in my Area

Post by JoshScott »

JoshScott wrote:
Josh wrote:
stngdwtl wrote:This post is for those that are familiar with what I have read and heard referred to as Kingdom Christian beliefs. I am coming from a Protestant / Evangelical background and relatively recently discovered teachings by people such as David Bercot, Finnny Kuruvilla, and Dean Taylor.  I would very much like to find a church with beliefs such as this. I am trying to find a church in the Central Florida area that has these beliefs/teachings and also practices baptism by trine immersion for the remission/forgiveness of sins.  There are some Anabaptist types of churches in or near the area, but none of them have all of these beliefs.  I have found one or more churches that have some or many Kingdom Christian beliefs but do not practice baptism for the remission of sins.  I have also found churches that do teach baptism for the remission of sins but do not teach many (or any) Kingdom Christian beliefs.
Trine immersion and belief in baptismal regeneration will be found in the German Baptist Brethren, who do have a community in Florida. The German Baptists, however, predate Bercot, Kuruvilla, and Taylor, and most of them aren't terribly interested in the "kingdom Christian" movement, as they've already had those practices for hundreds of years.

If you like, myself or Ernie can get you in touch with them in your area.
Good answer Josh. Do keep in mind though (stngdwtl) that the GBB will require you to be baptized by trine immersion before being accepted as a member of their church *regardless* of whether you have been baptized as a believer already, whether by trine immersion or any other way.

Incidentally, this practice may make them possibly the most truly "Anabaptist" (rebaptizer) group of all, going by the literal definition of that term.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We Holdemans also baptise all converts and new members regardless of prior exposure to water in other places.

Personally, I think baptism is the proper symbol of church membership and I highly respect the German Baptists for the consistency of their position. Their baptisms are very joyful occasions and I strongly recommend attending one if you have the opportunity.
0 x
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

Josh wrote:We Holdemans also baptise all converts and new members regardless of prior exposure to water in other places.

Personally, I think baptism is the proper symbol of church membership and I highly respect the German Baptists for the consistency of their position. Their baptisms are very joyful occasions and I strongly recommend attending one if you have the opportunity.
From what I was told, Nationwide is the same. I may have misheard my pastor but he did say they only give baptisms to people who become full members and is a requirement for full membership. I don't know but don't think they recognise external baptisms.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Nationwide baptizes by pouring (like most Mennonites, Amish and Hutterites). Nationwide would rebaptize people who were baptized as children and people who were "sprinkled". If someone was immersed, they would accept that as a valid baptism. This is the position of most conservative Mennonites.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

JoshScott wrote:
Josh wrote:
stngdwtl wrote:This post is for those that are familiar with what I have read and heard referred to as Kingdom Christian beliefs. I am coming from a Protestant / Evangelical background and relatively recently discovered teachings by people such as David Bercot, Finnny Kuruvilla, and Dean Taylor.  I would very much like to find a church with beliefs such as this. I am trying to find a church in the Central Florida area that has these beliefs/teachings and also practices baptism by trine immersion for the remission/forgiveness of sins.  There are some Anabaptist types of churches in or near the area, but none of them have all of these beliefs.  I have found one or more churches that have some or many Kingdom Christian beliefs but do not practice baptism for the remission of sins.  I have also found churches that do teach baptism for the remission of sins but do not teach many (or any) Kingdom Christian beliefs.
Trine immersion and belief in baptismal regeneration will be found in the German Baptist Brethren, who do have a community in Florida. The German Baptists, however, predate Bercot, Kuruvilla, and Taylor, and most of them aren't terribly interested in the "kingdom Christian" movement, as they've already had those practices for hundreds of years.

If you like, myself or Ernie can get you in touch with them in your area.
Good answer Josh. Do keep in mind though that the GBB will require you (stngdwtl) to be baptized by trine immersion before being accepted as a member of their church *regardless* of whether you have been baptized as a believer already, whether by trine immersion or any other way.

Incidentally, this practice may make them possibly the most truly "Anabaptist" (rebaptizer) group of all, going by the literal definition of that term! No disrespect at all, of course, to any GBB out there. Even though I couldn't personally defend that practice, I feel that they are entitled to their tradition there and respect them for it.
From what I understand, new conference GBs have recently relaxed the requirement to rebaptize all new members joining from another denomination.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Re immersion baptism: what if you cannot swim? Do they have two strong men to hold onto you?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote:From what I understand, new conference GBs have recently relaxed the requirement to rebaptize all new members joining from another denomination.
As long as you were originally baptized via immersion, correct?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

aussieandy wrote:
Josh wrote:We Holdemans also baptise all converts and new members regardless of prior exposure to water in other places.

From what I was told, Nationwide is the same. I may have misheard my pastor but he did say they only give baptisms to people who become full members and is a requirement for full membership. I don't know but don't think they recognise external baptisms.
Nationwide does recognise external baptisms (even full dunking ones). However they would strongly require belief in pouring for any newly ordained ministers.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:Nationwide baptizes by pouring (like most Mennonites, Amish and Hutterites). Nationwide would rebaptize people who were baptized as children and people who were "sprinkled". If someone was immersed, they would accept that as a valid baptism. This is the position of most conservative Mennonites.
Do you know if they would rebaptise someone who had a Jesus-only baptism?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I don't know, but I assume they would rebaptize.
0 x