Groffdale Conference split

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MichaelPA
Affiliation: Christian

Groffdale Conference split

Post by MichaelPA »

The Groffdale Conference/Joe Wengers experienced a split in 2019. The new church is called the Midwest Conference. Does anyone know the reasons for the split?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Groffdale Conference split

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm in Lebanon County. We have no Joe Wengers. Just Lancaster and Berks has Groffdale churches. First I heard of this. Certainly curious, though.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

When we were out to Virginia (buying a vehicle from UnderShepard, 4 or so years ago), we were invited that Sunday noon to a home to which two Groffdale Conf couples were also invited. I remember them talking about strains within the conference, but (sadly) I do not remember what it was about. I know that in some places there has been conflict about the use of technology (how much, and what manufacturers, etc.).
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MichaelPA

Post by MichaelPA »

steve-in-kville wrote:I'm in Lebanon County. We have no Joe Wengers. Just Lancaster and Berks has Groffdale churches. First I heard of this. Certainly curious, though.
Aren't there a good amount of Hornings/Weaverland Conference in Lebanon County?
0 x
MichaelPA

Post by MichaelPA »

Neto wrote:When we were out to Virginia (buying a vehicle from UnderShepard, 4 or so years ago), we were invited that Sunday noon to a home to which two Groffdale Conf couples were also invited. I remember them talking about strains within the conference, but (sadly) I do not remember what it was about. I know that in some places there has been conflict about the use of technology (how much, and what manufacturers, etc.).
The Wikipedia article on the Groffdale Conference mentions the split. According to the article, the computer issue was one that led to the split. It says there were other issues too, but doesn't say what they were.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

While views on technology certainly were a part of what caused the split, I do find it interesting that before the split, the main group made shift towards being more restrictive on technology, seemingly to appease some of those bishops that threatened to leave. However, apparently it was not what they desired.

I think like a lot of church splits, power struggles among the leadership played a bigger part than people would like to acknowledge....
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

"1 Corinthians 11:19 And indeed, there must be differences ...
biblehub . com/1_corinthians/11-19.htm
"No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval.
New Living Translation

But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God's approval will be recognized!
English Standard Version

for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized."
electro-wiz wrote:... ... ...
I think like a lot of church splits, power struggles among the leadership played a bigger part than people would like to acknowledge....
0 x
MichaelPA

Post by MichaelPA »

electro-wiz wrote:While views on technology certainly were a part of what caused the split, I do find it interesting that before the split, the main group made shift towards being more restrictive on technology, seemingly to appease some of those bishops that threatened to leave. However, apparently it was not what they desired.

Do you know roughly how many people went with the new conference?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

re: power struggles - personality clashes

I think that it is important to recognize this when it happens. Sometimes there can also be a differing vision for ministry that brings about a parting of ways. Paul & Barnabas is a New Testament example. Some commentators may "decide" who was right and who was wrong, and those who chose usually say that Paul was in the right, because of the following verse, but you can look at the life and example of Barnabas, and see what kind of man he was. He was one who saw potential in unlikely candidates. When the newly converted Saul (Paul) came to Jerusalem, Barnabas was the only one who would 'touch him with a 3 cubit pole'. No one else believed in his conversion - he was 'pessoa non grata'. So I think that it was unfortunate that Paul could not extend grace to John Mark. The fact that he was wrong about him is demonstrated by his later great fondness for him. I think that Paul & Barnabas could have parted ways in a friendly and mutually blessing manner had Paul said "Barnabas, I know that your are a patient mentor, and you see potential in John Mark. Why don't you take him with you, and go to some of the more established congregations. I'll take Silas and go to some of the places where the settings are a bit more challenging." Then they could have blessed each other, recognizing the distinct giftings each had.

So it is not always a lack of true salvation on the part of one or the other parties that brings about a split, although I would agree that it demonstrates a certain lack of spiritual depth, IF the parting is not friendly. I do not think that it is a bad thing to admit to differences in vision and priorities.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I know one of the issues in Berks Co. was use of word processors. The more conservative group felt it was turning into general computer use.
0 x