Evangelism - how did you come to Jesus?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Evangelism - how did you come to Jesus?

Post by Valerie »

These wonderful posts of sharing one's spiritual birth are something I believe are important to reflect on and share and I am loving reading people's testimonies- which brought this passage to mind:

Revelation 12:11King James Version (KJV)

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

In the circles I've been in most of my walk with Christ- this would be sharing 'testimonies'

It made me wonder what the Anabaptists believe the word 'testimonies' is talking about for example in the above passage in Revelation. Learning how all the various Christian faith groups we've now been learning more about, I realize more and more how different words mean different things to different denominations.

Do y'all call these that are being shared 'testimonies'? We are accustomed to 'giving your testimony' like this when asked or if one feels led to share (prompted)- is that common within Anabaptism to do so? I have a former Amish friend who believes it is important, just wasn't sure if that is common in Anabaptism to see this as important or if it is something you generally don't share publicly.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

"Giving your testimony" is something that conservative Mennonites copied from the revivalists. CGC, Mennonite (Holdeman) doesn't really use this terminology. Instead they talk about "when you were born again" and "why you converted".
0 x
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

Like others in this thread, being exposed to and getting to know a Christian drew me to Christ. When I came to see and understand the commitment and integrity it made a powerful impact on me.

A few years earlier a friend had invited me to see the Jesus film at his church, and I went,but it didn't have any effect on me, for some reason- the key seems to be developing a personal relationship with a Christian who is sincerely cares about
"me" is a strong draw.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:"Giving your testimony" is something that conservative Mennonites copied from the revivalists. CGC, Mennonite (Holdeman) doesn't really use this terminology. Instead they talk about "when you were born again" and "why you converted".
Reminds me of my dad, Josh. He often would say 'when I got converted'.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit