Confrontation vs walking away

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Confrontation vs walking away

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:
appleman2006 wrote: Sorry. I see we are getting a long way from the original topic.
Maybe we should just walk away from this topic then.
:D
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:
RZehr wrote:
appleman2006 wrote: Sorry. I see we are getting a long way from the original topic.
Maybe we should just walk away from this topic then.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
RZehr wrote: Maybe we should just walk away from this topic then.

Extremely passive aggressive! Claiming to be walking away while simply walking in place. :)
0 x
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

Appleman: "Extremely passive aggressive! Claiming to be walking away while simply walking in place. :)"
3 x
We see the figure but with no ground, it's impossible to tell if he is walking away or walking in place! Context is everything.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

hah :laugh

i think he got ya!!
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

Justme: Hermit????

Some years ago I was struck by an obituary in (I guess) the *Pendleton Times* (Franklin WV) for a contemplative Catholic nun who lived alone in a cabin on the bank of the Potomac (?), somewhere north of Franklin. She had taken a vow of lifelong silence. I have never forgotten about her and her courage. I admire her but feel very ambivalent about how she chose to live in devout isolation. I don't think I could do it!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

justme claims to be a hermit but I don't think she goes to that extend!
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Bill Rushby wrote:Justme: Hermit????

Some years ago I was struck by an obituary in (I guess) the *Pendleton Times* (Franklin WV) for a contemplative Catholic nun who lived alone in a cabin on the bank of the Potomac (?), somewhere north of Franklin. She had taken a vow of lifelong silence. I have never forgotten about her and her courage. I admire her but feel very ambivalent about how she chose to live in devout isolation. I don't think I could do it!
I met a monk who made that same vow.
His response was.......
No comment.
:mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I just experienced this again, today. As I've been thinking about it, and fuming a bit, and wondering what I might have done differently, I decided to look up this thread again. But a search on the word "confrontation" also brought up a post in a thread that I have not followed very closely, so I don't think I had read this before.

Postby TruthSeeker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 am
TruthSeeker wrote: My following comments are made to address in an overall way the need for accountability to accompany forgiveness ... and the innate tendency of many from Anabaptist roots to avoid the resulting tension. In her book, Unlocking Our Inheritance, Janet Keller Richards states:

"Anabaptists are concerned about 'keeping the peace' with others. Yet the type of peace which comes through avoiding confrontation is actually a false peace that has developed in our lives the unbiblical pattern of not discussing or working through problems and disagreements.

"A peacemaker not only makes peace by his cooperative spirit, but also by his willingness to work through issues--even if it requires pressing through awkward differences--to come to a place of true peace and unity, with no underlying tension or falsehood. On the other hand, the peace keeper wants to keep a facade of peace at all costs, avoiding confrontation or anything that will cause a disruption. The 'peace' which remains is not really peace but quietness. Underneath the quietness remains a hidden tension or unforgiveness."
Good quote. I'm just not sure how to apply it.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:I just experienced this again, today. As I've been thinking about it, and fuming a bit, and wondering what I might have done differently, I decided to look up this thread again. But a search on the word "confrontation" also brought up a post in a thread that I have not followed very closely, so I don't think I had read this before.

Postby TruthSeeker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 am
TruthSeeker wrote: My following comments are made to address in an overall way the need for accountability to accompany forgiveness ... and the innate tendency of many from Anabaptist roots to avoid the resulting tension. In her book, Unlocking Our Inheritance, Janet Keller Richards states:

"Anabaptists are concerned about 'keeping the peace' with others. Yet the type of peace which comes through avoiding confrontation is actually a false peace that has developed in our lives the unbiblical pattern of not discussing or working through problems and disagreements.

"A peacemaker not only makes peace by his cooperative spirit, but also by his willingness to work through issues--even if it requires pressing through awkward differences--to come to a place of true peace and unity, with no underlying tension or falsehood. On the other hand, the peace keeper wants to keep a facade of peace at all costs, avoiding confrontation or anything that will cause a disruption. The 'peace' which remains is not really peace but quietness. Underneath the quietness remains a hidden tension or unforgiveness."
Good quote. I'm just not sure how to apply it.
Pray about this Neto. Invite God I to the "how to". I think we sometimes apply the turning the other cheek in a way that doesn't help resolve issues. That seems the way of the peacekeeper in the quote. The Apostles were "real" in that they did confront one another. That's not the same as a blow to the cheek. It's speaking the truth in love do we can resolve issues. Restore peace. Ease tensions. We're imperfect people trying to follow our perfect Savior- we blow it, stumble, fall. We get back up, these are not unpardonable sins! But if you've lived a life trying to suppress for the sake of peace when instead you may actually both gain from healthy discourse, where we may sometimes need to say "I'm sorry", well- ask God to help you, He may be wanting to do a work in you, and the other person. (Well isn't He always?). Yet as Scripture teaches there are times to walk away, & we need the Lord to guide us moment by moment
0 x