Men: How do you dress for Church?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How do you dress for Sunday Church

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Men: How do you dress for Church?

Post by Sudsy »

Here is a funny (yet perhaps sad) video regarding trendiness in today's churches and includes men's dress -

I'm not a big fan of 'Wretched' but some of his stuff is worth listening to, imo. And he is a hell fire street preacher.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I wear long pants and a button up shirt to work, in public, at home, and to church services.

Sunday's I wear my best that I have. I like wearing a white shirt but I have refrained because of stains and because of others uncomfortableness.
I used to not like white shirts but then I searched the scriptures and numerous times it says about the blood of Christ making our garments white as snow and the white shirt is a continual reminder and encouragement of the work, blood, death, and resurrection of Christ - to me.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Threads like this both amuse me and frustrate me at the same time. Over the years I've seen a big deal made about someone's choice of dress for church (both men and women) that fueled a lot of gossiping.

Our church is pretty diverse. We have the suit & tie types and we have the blue jeans and a polo shirt. We're all there for the same reason. Sure, there are a few "fashion divas" among the teenage girls, but its a small minority, I'm sure.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:I wear long pants and a button up shirt to work, in public, at home, and to church services.

Sunday's I wear my best that I have. I like wearing a white shirt but I have refrained because of stains and because of others uncomfortableness.
I used to not like white shirts but then I searched the scriptures and numerous times it says about the blood of Christ making our garments white as snow and the white shirt is a continual reminder and encouragement of the work, blood, death, and resurrection of Christ - to me.
Your reference to snow reminds me of my father who often said that he loved it when it snowed as there are flecks of dust in snow and he is reminded of that verse in Psalm 51:7 - "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

steve-in-kville wrote:Threads like this both amuse me and frustrate me at the same time. Over the years I've seen a big deal made about someone's choice of dress for church (both men and women) that fueled a lot of gossiping.

Our church is pretty diverse. We have the suit & tie types and we have the blue jeans and a polo shirt. We're all there for the same reason. Sure, there are a few "fashion divas" among the teenage girls, but its a small minority, I'm sure.
If you are comfortable wearing what you wear, this should not need to frustrate you.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

What frustrates me is how people in conservative circles turn up their noses to people who don't agree with them and/or conform to their dress code.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

steve-in-kville wrote:What frustrates me is how people in conservative circles turn up their noses to people who don't agree with them and/or conform to their dress code.
Why should it frustrate you? It seems you must feel guilty. But be assured that people in conservative circles do not all turn up their noses to people who don't conform to their dress code. We are used to dressing the way we do and are also used to other people dressing differently.
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

I’m attending a revival where the other evening the evangelist told the story of a rancher in the Carolinas who went to church as a younger man and was told to his face to get a pair of overalls without holes before he came to church again. (This was long before wearing holes in britches was even thought of as a fashion) The rancher stayed away from any and all churches for 55 years after that incident. His wife prayed that he would go to church and 55 years later he got to know a preacher and then went to his church and got saved. Maybe this post is a little off-topic, but I sincerely would rather see dress that is modest but beyond that I believe an overemphasis on dress can actually be detrimental to our Evangelical witness.
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

DrWojo wrote:I’m attending a revival where the other evening the evangelist told the story of a rancher in the Carolinas who went to church as a younger man and was told to his face to get a pair of overalls without holes before he came to church again. (This was long before wearing holes in britches was even thought of as a fashion) The rancher stayed away from any and all churches for 55 years after that incident. His wife prayed that he would go to church and 55 years later he got to know a preacher and then went to his church and got saved. Maybe this post is a little off-topic, but I sincerely would rather see dress that is modest but beyond that I believe an overemphasis on dress can actually be detrimental to our Evangelical witness.
As an aside - 'a revival' ? Sounds interesting. Is this the kind to basically revive the saints or is it the kind with considerable emphasis on reaching the lost or both ? I haven't been to 'revival meetings' for years and haven't heard of them in our area for some time. Perhaps this is more of an American thing nowadays ?
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I feel the same as many that it is a sign of respect towards God to wear a decent (but not prideful) outfit to church.

At the same time, at home I often pray in boxershorts. :roll:

Not sure what that says about me. :-|
0 x