Men: How do you dress for Church?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How do you dress for Sunday Church

Total votes: 0

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Men: How do you dress for Church?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I would vote other. I wear black jeans, black shoes and normally a button up shirt. This time of the year I wear a pull-over Henley-type fleece.

I still have my plain suit and a plain-cut vest, but I couldn't tell you the last time they were worn.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Mountain Merle
Affiliation: Redneck Mennonite

Post by Mountain Merle »

Sudsy wrote: And we know that one can be just as proud about their casual dress as they can about their 'dress up' clothes or anything in between.
I totally agree with that; pride can get us going and coming. And since we're talking about worship, God has the distinct advantage of looking on the heart while the rest of us have to put up with seeing the rest of you. Casual dress is one thing; casual undress is more disrespectful IMHO.
I'm wondering if we would "dress up" a little if, let's say, we were invited to a private meeting with the president. I'm also wondering if possibly we should at least dress on that level to meet with The King.
Just stirring the pot here! (and I'm even a redneck myself)
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I voted what I do most often, but it varies. I wear a fairly nice button shirt, often with long pants, which are sometimes newish jeans. When hot I'll wear shorts and sandals, but still a button shirt. No skirt to church yet. I don't think I've worn a tie to church since I was a child in the '60s, back when I was a Methodist.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I wear my plain 2 piece suit with a long sleeved blue shirt, buttoned to the top. Personally I identify with the question Merle asked about dressing for the King. I question myself on this but can't get over the feeling that it is more respectful to wear formal dress. To me, shorts and sandals seem disgusting and disrespectful. Do the young women come wearing their short shorts and other beach wear?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:I wear my plain 2 piece suit with a long sleeved blue shirt, buttoned to the top. Personally I identify with the question Merle asked about dressing for the King. I question myself on this but can't get over the feeling that it is more respectful to wear formal dress. To me, shorts and sandals seem disgusting and disrespectful. Do the young women come wearing their short shorts and other beach wear?
To your question - not at our church. The young women do wear shorts in the summer and some 'skimpy' (imo, immodest) light dresses in summer. Swim suits, never.

If it was up to me, I would prefer everyone upon entering the assembly put on an available 'choir gown' (the same for everyone that covers entirely whatever one wears to get to the assembly) and then clothing would be a non-issue that might detract from worship. But I doubt I will ever see those days. Perhaps an issue for another split ? :? :)

You included sandals that seem 'disgusting and disrespectful'. So, Jesus and His followers in the early church were 'disgusting and disrespectful' when they went to the temple to pray ? I think men's loafers could be a bad testimony because the scripture speaks out about being a loafer (lazy man). :lol: Sorry, just trying to add some humour. :oops:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

It has always somewhat amused me at the knots we twist for supporting that we insist on dressing to the nines to go to church. Ironically some people twist those exact same knots with almost exactly the same arguments to justify building cathedrals.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

appleman2006 wrote:It has always somewhat amused me at the knots we twist for supporting that we insist on dressing to the nines to go to church. Ironically some people twist those exact same knots with almost exactly the same arguments to justify building cathedrals.
I lean fairly informal on this as well applema. My Sunday-go-to-meeting clothing is the same version of my daily-wear, albeit usually among the newer button up shirts and slacks in my wardrobe. But on the other hand, I can really appreciate a sense of seriousness and formality when gathering to worship almighty God that encourages me to show up dressing at least as nicely as I would a business or community meeting. e.g. Flip flops and t shirts don't cut it for me.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:I wear my plain 2 piece suit with a long sleeved blue shirt, buttoned to the top. Personally I identify with the question Merle asked about dressing for the King. I question myself on this but can't get over the feeling that it is more respectful to wear formal dress. To me, shorts and sandals seem disgusting and disrespectful. Do the young women come wearing their short shorts and other beach wear?
I also identify with that perspective. That is why I try to maintain standards of modesty (no shorts or a t-shirts only look) even when not at church because Jesus is always with me, everywhere. Jeans and overalls are sometimes necessary for dirty work but they are always modest in coverage. It's not a point of pride in modesty for me. It's a point of expressing my personal view of how this applies to daily life and the example we are to set for our families and society at large.

BTW I don't own a pair of sandals but I do wear work shoes that protect my tootsies. Ever drop a wrench on barefeet or sandalled feet? OW! :shock: Then there's the issue of broken glass, nails that pierce flimsy shoes, etc.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
To your question - not at our church. The young women do wear shorts in the summer and some 'skimpy' (imo, immodest) light dresses in summer. Swim suits, never.

If it was up to me, I would prefer everyone upon entering the assembly put on an available 'choir gown' (the same for everyone that covers entirely whatever one wears to get to the assembly) and then clothing would be a non-issue that might detract from worship. But I doubt I will ever see those days. Perhaps an issue for another split ? :? :)

You included sandals that seem 'disgusting and disrespectful'. So, Jesus and His followers in the early church were 'disgusting and disrespectful' when they went to the temple to pray ? I think men's loafers could be a bad testimony because the scripture speaks out about being a loafer (lazy man). :lol: Sorry, just trying to add some humour. :oops:
But I did begin with the qualifier "to me." I never wear sandals or shorts and the people I normally associate with don't either. I never wear a T shirt or jeans - this is what I am used to and what is comfortable for me.

Hey Appleman, please notice that I did not argue or twist any knots in explaining why I do what I do.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Hats Off wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

But I did begin with the qualifier "to me." I never wear sandals or shorts and the people I normally associate with don't either. I never wear a T shirt or jeans - this is what I am used to and what is comfortable for me.

Hey Appleman, please notice that I did not argue or twist any knots in explaining why I do what I do.
I noticed and appreciate it. I was not including you in that comment. :)
0 x