Beards - Given Unto Man

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Beards - Given Unto Man

Post by Heirbyadoption »

In discussion on various things we'd like to see on the Pilgrim Church / Kingdom Christians list, Adam had asked about why the encouragement for brothers to grow beards. I offered to address that privately, or start a separate post; he recommended here, so here goes. The following is an article I scratched out for a few brothers who asked for it some time back; it's probably 8 pages typed out, I apologize for the length, but it covers a few aspects of the subject. Feel free to cordially express disagreement if you deem it necessary. As mentioned before, and just to reiterate for clarity - the Scriptures do not require men to wear beards, but they do seem to take it for granted and there is positive evidence for them, rather than negative. Just sayin'... :dance:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Christian Brother’s Beard

When we consider those available writings and studies which address the visible appearances of Christian men and women, there are some aspects which seem to be rarely considered; this may be due to the fact that there are not many passages in Scripture which directly speak to these particular subjects, and also because there are even fewer explicit Scriptural teachings regarding them. In fact, when we open the Scriptures, we find that there are actually very few visible areas of Christian nonconformity which are clearly spelled out in the Bible, at least beyond their underlying principles such as modesty, simplicity, consistency, humility, and teaching us to avoid those things which are highly esteemed by the world around us. However, there are a few specific practices which involve personal appearances that we can definitely point to as having Scriptural support beyond principle alone; these would include the wearing of the headship veiling by Christian women and the wearing of the beard by Christian men.

When a church fellowship desires to establish any sort of corporate agreement regarding their visible appearance, there is a special challenge that comes with living among contemporary, individualistic culture: often the greater part of emphasizing a deliberate “nonconformity” in appearance falls on the sisters through their dress and veilings, while there is often less emphasis placed upon the deliberate “nonconformity” in appearance by the brothers. This is due in part to the ease with which simple and modest clothing can often be obtained for men, as opposed to the more limited availability for women. However, the Christian brother’s beard provides a clear mark of distinctiveness for the male gender which will also complement the Christian woman’s public testimony through a headship veiling, and thus help us to move away from a double standard which requires more of one gender than the other. The scope of this study is not necessarily intended to engage in an in-depth analysis of all those things connected with the appearance of a Christian believer, but rather, to focus specifically upon the beard which God has given to the male gender, and also how it can relate to our Christian walk.

Over the course of my lifetime, I have had the privilege of working in several “Plain”-owned businesses. Due to the size of these businesses, many of my coworkers were unfamiliar with church fellowships which continue to practice nonconformity against the prevailing culture through specific forms of “plain” clothing, appearance, and other practices which are based upon Scriptural teachings or principles. As such, I received various questions and comments from many of them regarding our appearance and the visible practices of church fellowships such as ours, and the majority of the questions which I encountered were usually directed towards the purpose or significance of such things as our beards or about the veilings which our sisters wear.

While my answers may have been sufficient for those inquiring, such discussions prompted me to further study upon the subject, and in sharing the results of that study here, I hope that my conclusions can somehow provide encouragement for other Christian brothers who find themselves on the receiving end of such questions. I believe we should be able to provide clear and simple explanations for those who ask why so many of the “Plain” or Anabaptist-type Christian fellowships continue to place such emphasis on the wearing of a beard, and the benefit of its visible testimony. And as with anything practiced by Christians, our first question needs to be what Scriptural foundation it has.

The Scriptures first specifically mention beards in Leviticus, but we have no viable reason to doubt that men wore them from the days of the first created man, Adam. The first specific Scriptures to be found are instructions in the Mosaic Law which taught God’s people how to deal with beards in a practical manner, giving particular instructions regarding them for when there were plagues and diseases. There are also subsequent references forbidding Jewish men to mar the corners of their beards, even if it may have been customary among some of the pagan nations and cultures around them.

Other Scriptural references to the beard can be found throughout the Old Testament, but for the sake of space, I believe it is sufficient to state here that the Law of Moses stood firm until the time of Jesus Christ and His fulfillment of the Mosaic Law. While the Law did not require beards by direct command, it clearly took for granted that men would wear the beards with which God created them, and it proceeded to address them accordingly, especially in light of how specifically it dealt with exceptions to the wearing of the beard. Even the Old Testament prophet Isaiah suggests to us that Jesus Christ himself wore a beard (Isaiah 50:6) which God created His physical body with.

We can easily infer the same thing about the Apostle Paul who, by his own admission, had been zealously attentive to the Law, and likewise the many other believers of Jewish heritage in the early Church. However, it also seems probable that many of the Gentiles which joined themselves to the early Church were from Roman, Greek and various other cultures whose cultural fashions often promoted bare faces. This and the following are a few of the reasons why some “Anabaptist” church fellowships have left the decision (of whether to remove the beard or to allow it to grow) to the choice of individual conscience.

Another thought which is sometimes expressed is the fact that Christians are no longer bound by the specifics of the Old Law and that, in the New Covenant, we are now set at liberty from it through the atoning work of Jesus Christ. In conjunction with this, some people have tried to suggest that the beard was simply a ritual from the time of the old Law, and as such, should not be promoted any longer; however, a careful study of the Old Law will show that the beard was never explicitly commanded, even though it finds support there. Whether “necessary” or not is a judgment I am extremely hesitant to make for any other brother, for only our Heavenly Father can see the hearts of all men, but from my own study, I have come to the personal conclusion that a man’s beard was, and continues to be, far more than simply a Jewish or cultural practice. It is a biological feature which God has given to men since the day of Creation, and it is one which He has provided with a specific purpose!

There is significant support to be found in the extant (i.e. still available) writings of several of the early Church bishops and leaders expressing the point that the beard has always been given to men by God, and that it was given for a purpose; there was also a strong sentiment among early Church writers against the shaved faces of men (as being effeminate and a detraction from God’s deliberate separation of men and women in appearance). Among the more well-known early church leaders who taught that the beard was not only a God given testimony of gender-specific manliness, but that it was also a mark of maturity, were Clement (AD 195), Tertullian (AD 198), Lactantius (AD 304), Chrysostom (4th century), and Augustine (5th century).

In light of contemporary attacks on this concept of gender roles in our society, along with the rise of alternative lifestyles (even more so now than in the days of the early Church), we should seriously consider what seems to have been part of God’s original intent in this matter. As 21st century Christians in America, we Christian men can benefit greatly from asking ourselves and our wives if it is possible that our definitions of what constitutes “appropriate” and “attractive” in this area have been influenced by the cultural preferences, fashions, and definitions around us much more than we may be comfortable admitting to.

From the time of Jesus Christ until our present day, we can still find historical references to faithful remnants of believers, often small, persecuted bands which were many times driven into hiding. The Brethren movement among which I find my heritage has only been organized for a little over three hundred years, and other similar “Anabaptist” church fellowships have only been organized since the 16th and 17th centuries, similarly finding much of their background and impetus among the remnants of persecuted believers as well. Among several of the aforementioned groups, there remain various written records and portraiture still extant showing how many of the brethren in such groups chose to allow their beards to grow.

A few such examples can be found in the books Anatomy of a Hybrid and Stepchildren of the Reformation, written by late Dutch pastor Leonard Verduin, where we find accounts of the derogative labeling of these believers during the Middle Ages and the Reformation era as “heretics”, Anabaptists (or “rebaptizers”), and in some instances, as Bartmanner (or “bearded men).” Verduin further details the formation of one religious order by the Catholic Church in order to combat the efforts of these small bands of true believers and their itinerant preachers who spoke out against the “fallen” state churches. At times, members of this order even went so far as to copy the true believers by sending out monks in pairs, dressed in homespun clothing and sandals, and wearing long beards, and by these they were often mistaken for the very “heretic” preachers and believers which they opposed.

There are also written records of various 17th century Pietist preachers noted for their beards as well. One example of this can be found in Marcus Maier’s book, Origins of the Schwarzenau Brethren, documents the objections of various local authorities in the 16th and 17th centuries against various Christian brethren among the Pietistic renewal movement, along with descriptions of them referring to their “terribly long beards” which were especially noticeable in their opposition to the fashions of their day. Even further studies will find that the beard goes much further back in history than the last five hundred years of history as a symbol associated with God’s people.

Historically speaking, there is not much in the way of focused writing on this subject beyond the Anti-Nicene era. Nevertheless, I am encouraged to witness the growing number of Christian men, both young and old alike, who continue to make the deliberate choice to let their beards grow. I offer my personal testimony is that letting one’s beard grow as part of our Christian walk can provide a valuable tool for any brother in his visible identity of a Christian striving for the principle of separation from the world, both in conversation and appearance. There is a large variety of thought on what forms of dress are suitable or beneficial for Christians, but the simple fact remains that God has given beards to every man in some form; I suggest that He did so intentionally.

Sometimes it is suggested that beards simply function as culture or fashion symbols. Certainly, it is possible for it to fall into these parameters, but with the exception of a few Christian groups, wearing the beard has long been an established symbol among many Christian fellowships as a public symbol of nonconformity against contemporary fashions and styles. Among those various Christian fellowships who continue to promote the wearing of beards as a useful, beneficial, and even Scripturally-responsible choice, there are a variety of different reasons for doing so. Many utilize the beard as a sign of nonconformity in their desire to take a stand against the constantly changing fashions around them, especially with the contemporary blurring of gender roles in appearance.

More traditional groups may require the beard as the mark of a married man, or one with children, while others may ask their brethren to let their beards grow as a sign of their membership within their particular church fellowship. Some also believe that the beard provides a visible and God-given gender distinction between men and women, and as they look at such Scriptures as Genesis 1:31, Romans 9:20-21, and others, they consider it to be rebellion against God to refuse to let the beard. For anyone who may be interested in further study on this subject, it would be worthwhile for them to spend some serious time with this last thought.

I suggest that the question should not be, “Why should Christian men bother to let their beards grow?”, but rather that we ought to be willing to recognize what God has given to us instead, and ask the better and more accurate question, “Did God deliberately create men with beards, and who truly receives the glory when we choose to shave them off or allow them to grow?” Consider this question in light of the 6th day of creation, when the Creator looked down upon all things that He had made, including man, and said that everything which He had made was good (Genesis 1:27 and 1:31).
We return to the principle found in Romans 9:20-21 – the idea that our sovereign God has done nothing without reason, and that it is men who have turned God’s rightful designs to their own preference. While speaking of the hardness of the hearts of men, Paul refers us back to the creation analogy of the potter and his clay, and we find ourselves pointed once again to the fact that our awesome God, who gives nothing without purpose, and who has emphasized distinction between the genders throughout both the Old Testament and the New Testament, has given beards to men.

Human nature and cultural conditioning are usually quick to respond with the thought that since cleanliness and practicality lead us to trim things such as the fingernails and hair which God has given us, and since we cover the naked bodies which He made, we ought not to be so quick to encourage Christian men to let their beards grow simply on the basis that God gave it to them. However, simple observation will show how a public gender-differentiation is the immediate physical effect of the beards which God has given (with the exceptional genetic mutations) to men and not to women, whereas He gave to both men and women those things such as hair and fingernails which we trim for both health and the principles of modesty and stewardship of the body. And beyond this, there are additional Scriptural commands which deal with such things as hair and the covering of our bodies which God made, and which take these things beyond the realm of the beard with which He created men!

As we consider the physical aspect of beards, I have often received comments regarding my beard; in the hope of encouraging other brothers in Christ who are willing to think seriously about this subject, the following are some of the thoughts and responses which I have come to for myself in this area of a visible Christian testimony. Once again, God created men and women biologically different, and throughout His Word we find that He repeatedly makes a clear differentiation between men and women in many areas; the Bible addresses a variety of gender-specific issues, from responsibilities in personal lives, in families, and among the gathered church, even down to their manner of dress and the ways in which men and women ought to wear their hair.

Styles of clothing often change in form or style over time, due to everything from practicality and shifting fashions to availability and other influencing factors; one obvious example is how robes and sandals are no longer the standard form of dress among most contemporary cultures, while they remain among others. Yet it seems that nearly every culture retains some form of consciousness or distinction as to what attire and/or behavior is masculine and what is feminine; in spite of any cultural or clothing changes, the facial hair which God has caused to grow on the faces of men remains as an unchanging physical mark of gender distinction, even though some cultures choose to remove their facial hair and a few ethnic groups have genetically smaller quantities of facial hair than others.

Some believe that the beard does find an implicit support in the Scriptures, but that it should also be kept extremely short in keeping with the headship testimony of short hair for men and long and veiled hair for women (1 Corinthians. 11:1-16). The desire to live in accordance with this particular teaching from the Scriptures is commendable, but I would like to suggest that the instructions of the apostle Paul which address the subject (see I Corinthians 11:1-16) should be applicable to both men and women, especially where he did not specify one or the other. Both genders have hair which grows long on top their heads and which is dealt with according to specific New Testament teachings (such as we find taught in I Corinthians 11); however, with the exception of rare genetic deformities, women cannot physically grow full beards such as God created for men. Neither can some men, but I suggest this to be an genetic change, and therefore a justifiable exception). As a result, women are physically excluded from a consideration of the beard (just as, for example, men were physical excluded from certain rites of purification that were incumbent only upon women under the Law of Moses). On this basis, the application of the headship principle through different hair-lengths between men and women is not directly relevant to a discussion on the beard, but primarily to the hair which grows long on the heads of both genders.

In light of all this, there is nothing specific in the Scriptures which touches on the idea of a specific length for beards, with the exception of those principles of moderation, simplicity, consistency, and not drawing excessive attention to oneself. Some have well-meaningly suggested that the Scriptures forbids the trimming of the beard (often in association with the concept of a being visibly nonconformed to changing contemporary fashion), but beyond a few injunctions for the men of the Jewish nation under the Old Law, a study of God’s Word quickly reveals that this idea cannot be supported by the New Testament Scriptures themselves. To insist upon the necessity of an untrimmed beard is to ignore what the Scripture has to say about the change away from the binding power of the Old Law now that the Gospel has come (see Galatians 3:10-27). On the other hand, however, if Christian men succumb to the temptation to closely crop and shape their beards after whichever style is currently and temporarily fashionable in the culture around them, or repeatedly wear them and shave them off, it is possible that their choice may be more about personal vanity than it is toward practicality and simplicity (see Luke 16:15).

Among those “Anabaptist” church fellowships which still promote the beard as a mark of gender distinction and nonconformity against contemporary cultures, there has also been a prevailing tradition of wearing most of the beard, but to shave off that portion of it which grows on the upper lip (and which is usually separately referred to as a “mustache”). What few references I have been able to find in the history books and corporate decisions of these specific groups were that, A.) mustaches were often worn and groomed primarily for fashion, B.) mustaches were popular with the military during the formative years of the aforementioned church fellowships (nearly all of whom have sought to follow Jesus’ teachings on love, peace, and reconciliation), and C.) some of these groups came to believe that that the wearing of the beard without a mustache provided a distinct mark of nonconformity to the world around. There are also a few groups which object to wearing the mustache based on a faulty translation of the word lip in Leviticus 13:45, where lepers were commanded to wear a covering over the mustache on their upper lip to avoid contamination; the Hebrew word used in this passage and in a couple other places was sapham (Strong’s Concordance, H8222), referring to the beard on the upper lip, also known as the mustache.

Regarding the issue of fashion, it needs to be said that the abuse of something provides no real justification for avoiding its proper use. Regarding the military connection with the mustache, history has shown that this was distinctly a passing phase, and it seems better to strive for consistency and Biblical support in our practice rather than determining and changing our practice each time the contemporary culture around us makes a change. And finally, any choices which we make with an eye toward nonconformity must first be defined by God’s Word and the resources which He has provided us with: just as ears are part of the head, and fingers are part of a hand, the mustache is part of the beard which God has given men, regardless of any sincere attempts to consider the two separately. However, as Scriptural only speaks by implication and principle to this issue, this is best left to the personal study and conviction of each brother in Christ.

There is a very real challenge for the individual or group of believers which chooses to engage in a visible practice in order to take a stand against the constantly-shifting and self-exalting fashions around us (whether it be with a certain article of clothing, headcoverings, plain vehicles, simple homes, or even something like the wearing of the beard). The challenge is whether we can live in such a way that is both consistent and Scripturally-supportable, yet not take our visible choices to such extremes that we are primarily drawing attention to ourselves or our church fellowships. Our visible choices in this area ought not to receive the praise of men nor necessarily alienate them, but rather ought to direct attention and interest toward the One whom we seek to follow on a daily basis. There is no specific beard length designated in the Scriptures, and in light of this, I only offer the sober caution that we need to be especially cautious against making assumptions about the convictions of any professing brother in Christ based upon the length of his beard, or even the absence thereof – rather, we should first seek to know his heart.

As we think about the intent of our hearts, we return once again to the Biblical principle of nonconformity from the world and the things which it exalts. The Scriptures make it abundantly clear that men and women whose minds have been transformed and renewed after the example of Jesus Christ are called to a separation from the world (i.e. the secular, self-promoting cultures around us) in every area of life, including a separation from the trends, fashions, and especially from those things which are “highly esteemed” by unregenerate society. It is true that most of the Scriptures which dealt with specifics in type of clothing or appearance above and beyond the basic principles of nonconformity, modesty, simplicity, headship and gender differentiation were limited to the Jewish nation which lived under the Law of Moses, but let me encourage you that as Christian men and women under the New Covenant, we have an obligation to diligently strive to teach and maintain a Christian testimony in our lives and in our appearance which will be in accordance with the principles which the Word of God calls us to follow after.

In a small pamphlet on the wearing of the beard by Christian men, the late Brethren elder, J.I. Cover, wrote of how he felt that the wearing of a beard was significantly more distinctive than a particular uniform of “plain” clothing, even though he still appreciated and wore a simple uniform such as many Anabaptist fellowships had developed or adopted over the last 2-3 centuries. It is not my intention to minimize the practical values and testimonies that can be present through the wearing of plain and simple clothing which does not shift with contemporary fashion, but I also believe that many of those Christian brethren who have allowed their beards to grow can bear testimony with me to the truth of this old brother’s statement, and do so without doing any injury to their personal convictions regarding to nonconformity in dress.

My personal testimony is that I have been approached far more often with questions from those around me with regard to my personal beliefs than I ever received prior to my choice to stop shaving off my God-given beard each day. To wear my beard has served as a strong personal and daily reminder of the call to a higher standard than the unbelieving world around me, and it also acts as a personal reminder of the fact that I have chosen to identify with a group of Christian men and women who are seeking God’s will for their lives and desire to apply the teachings of His Word as literally as context will allow, including in the areas of dress and appearance.

Once more, for those of us Christian men who choose to wear the beard God has given us, it brings numerous opportunities to witness to those around us; I cannot emphasize strongly enough, however, that when those opportunities come, we must be prepared and willing to share about the Hope that lies within us (I Peter 3:15-16), for it is that Hope which makes all the difference in our lives! Many of those people who may approach us are only curious as to our different appearance, and sometimes they have questions about our particular church fellowship, but it is a higher and more solemn responsibility that we are given to take such questions as open doors toward conversations to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It is my earnest prayer that each one of us will always be open to those whom the Spirit will bring into our lives; examples may speak louder than words, but so many times our examples also need to be followed with our words!

In conclusion, I leave you with a final testimony and an encouragement. I have found that being willing to wear my God-given beard has brought both a blessing and a help in my daily walk; it has not brought any real sort of embarrassment or burden, and in those few times when it has seemed a bother to me, a brief self-examination has revealed that my discomfort lay only in those times when I was walking where a committed Christian brother ought not to walk. I strongly encourage each brother, young or old, who may currently be considering whether to submit and accept the opportunity of this testimony which God has placed in your life: continue to search the Scriptures, lay your own will before the Lord in prayer, and then be willing to follow His leading on this subject. I recognize that the subject of the beard may seem trivial to some, whether that feeling comes from personal aversion, cultural influence, or simply a prior lack of consideration, but I suggest that you ask yourself this simple question: if the Word of God directly supports or even simply encourages something, do we dare brush it off as unimportant, especially based on reasons such as our personal distaste, our peer pressures, or the culture norms around us?

May your decisions be the result of the convicting work of God’s Word and His Spirit, and from a true desire to let Him work in your life! Seek counsel from your brothers in Christ, and yet remember that ultimately you must make your own decision on the strength of God’s Word and the leading of His Spirit rather on the strength of the choices of others, lest you later come to change your mind and regret your choice. Every one of us must answer for our own conscience, and Galatians 6:4-5 says to “let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another, for every man shall bear his own burden.”

There is little blessing in making a decision until you can submit to it with peace in your heart and a desire that God would be glorified through it. We read in Romans 14:22-23 that “happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith; for whatsoever is not of faith is in.” Finally, if you are convicted to make a change and submit this area of your life to the Lord, use it for the glory of God and as a testimony of His Gospel, just as Colossians 3:23-24 says: “Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.” May God bless you and guide you, my brothers, as you consider submitting this area of your life to Him!

Let all things be done with charity.

Christian Filbrun
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Beards - Given Unto Man

Post by JimFoxvog »

As one who has had a full beard for over 35 years, I appreciate much of this dissertation. My beard has led to discussions of faith. But I think you mean the Ante-Nicene, not the Anti-Nicene era!
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Lol. Thanx.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I dated a girl for a while who really didn't like beards and wouldn't kiss me when I had one.

I have a beard now, and am finding I like being part of a church fellowship where all men wear beards of some kind or another.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I appreciate your logic and reason and I must say it is the most well thought out and well written article on the subject I have ever seen. However at this point you are still a long way from converting me for a whole lot of reasons that I will not get into out of respect to your own position and convictions.

I do have one question though. What would your advice be to a person like myself who has grown up in a culture very far removed from beard wearing. Let me be quick to try and explain. In the church I am apart of beards are allowed although they are generally only worn by some of those that came from a setting where beards were common place. If I as a older man in the congregation were to grow one even if I were to wear your thesis on my breastplate so to speak :) I have no doubt that my intentions would be misunderstood by some, especially those that are considerably younger and may actually wish to grow a beard for mostly reasons that you did not mention above. Would you still advise me to grow one or would I be better off to find another way to try and promote some of the same objectives that you describe in your article above?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

appleman2006 wrote:I appreciate your logic and reason and I must say it is the most well thought out and well written article on the subject I have ever seen. However at this point you are still a long way from converting me for a whole lot of reasons that I will not get into out of respect to your own position and convictions.

I do have one question though. What would your advice be to a person like myself who has grown up in a culture very far removed from beard wearing. Let me be quick to try and explain. In the church I am apart of beards are allowed although they are generally only worn by some of those that came from a setting where beards were common place. If I as a older man in the congregation were to grow one even if I were to wear your thesis on my breastplate so to speak :) I have no doubt that my intentions would be misunderstood by some, especially those that are considerably younger and may actually wish to grow a beard for mostly reasons that you did not mention above. Would you still advise me to grow one or would I be better off to find another way to try and promote some of the same objectives that you describe in your article above?
When I go to a church where most men don't wear beards, I am struck by how naked they all look.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Appleman~ I dare say we've shared enough on MD that I'm not worried about you hurting my feelings or jumping on me. If anybody is prone to beat someone over the head, it'd probably be more likely me, lol. I'm always interested in hearing perspectives I may not have considered - who knows, I might have missed something. I'd be interested in the whys/wherefores of your position. My personal convictions aren't so shaky they can't handle a little adverse weather. :hug: But if you'd rather not get into them, that's alright too.

Per your question on growing up in a culture which has long shaved off their beards, I think it ultimately comes back to letting every man be convicted in his own mind. I didn't stop shaving my beard in order to adhere to Plain Culture, but because (as you may have noticed) I believe the Scriptures at least support it favorably and because I believe it to be very useful in my Christian walk and testimony. My intentions were actually misunderstood by a lot of MY friends when I let it grow shortly after I got married (they suggested everything from wanting attention to trying to be the Plain guy to campaigning for preacher, etc. etc.). Bear in mind I grew up in a time and area of our fellowship where our fellowship was starting to polarize and the conservatives all wear beards (usually untrimmed) and most of the rest did not, or those that did usually kept them a little more trimmed up, and younger brothers rarely if ever let their beards grow. Plus the congregation I was in was a city congregation with much more local populace interaction and higher education activity, rather than being a rural one, which had an effect.

So to answer your question, I would say if you are convicted to let your beard grow back out and your church does not forbid it, you will be blessed in spite of the misunderstandings of some and time will bear out your intentions. What other reasons do you reference that your younger guys would want to grow a beard for? If it's just for fashion, have the discussion, be open and kindly blunt about it, discuss it in your men's meetings. I don't know how tight knit your congregation is or how discipline works, but communication and godly examples are always the best start. And what other ways might you try and promote some of the same objectives that you describe in your article above?

And coupled with your question of whether I would advise you to go ahead and grow, don't shave tomorrow morning and you'll find that it's not you growing your beard. :lol: Seriously though, I'd be interested in what alternatives you might suggest.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

:D I've experimented enough that I have a pretty good idea of what happens when I do not shave. I am also blessed with enough of a shadow that no one has ever questioned my masculinity even though I shave on a regular basis. I might add that at this point I think I would have an almost totally white beard were I to let it grow even though my hair is still quite dark on top. Hmmm. Could add an element of maturity to my appearance. Never thought of that. ;)

In all honesty though I could not convince even myself at this point that I would be growing it for the right reasons so I do not think it would be proactive for me to go down that road. I still respect you and your position though even though I do not follow all of the logic.
For myself however I can think of a number of issues in my immediate circles and in me personally that rate quite a bit higher on the scale of needing work on ahead of this issue.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

HeirbyAdoption: Thank you for sharing this theme on beards. It's a good read. As a beard wearing man, I'll echo the fact that when "the guys" get together, sometimes the beard is a conversation starter about faith. Every opportunity... :D

I couldn't find the thread about the missing Plain Compassion workers. I understand that they've been found, thanks be to God. Continued prayers that they can continue to work for Jesus in that dangerous part of the world. They are brave disciples.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:HeirbyAdoption: Thank you for sharing this theme on beards. It's a good read. As a beard wearing man, I'll echo the fact that when "the guys" get together, sometimes the beard is a conversation starter about faith. Every opportunity... :D

I couldn't find the thread about the missing Plain Compassion workers. I understand that they've been found, thanks be to God. Continued prayers that they can continue to work for Jesus in that dangerous part of the world. They are brave disciples.
Let's not talk about them or what they do on an easily searchable public forum.
0 x