From the Margins

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

From the Margins

Post by Bootstrap »

Rereading an article from 2013 ....

When you mix religion, nationalism, imperialism, and fear, people do really bad things.
American culture is changing. Although we in the U.S. take pride in the separation of Church and state, the civil religion of our country has long “been Christianity.” Whether formally legislated or informally understood, Christendom takes shape when a national government and the Church partner to create a society in which a version of the Christian story is at the core of a culture.

To some, this may sound like a positive thing, but unfortunately Christendom has often left the Church’s hands dirty with the deeds of nationalistic conquest and greed. The Roman emperor Constantine inaugurated Christendom when he converted to Christianity in the fourth century and began conquering enemies in Christ’s name. For the first time in history, the cross and the sword became business partners.

Our society, however, like the rest of the western world, is in a transition toward post-Christendom. Post-Christendom occurs when Christianity no longer occupies the privileged center of public discourse.
In his book The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of Radical Faith, Murray describes some key characteristics of post-Christian culture, including the following transitions:
  • Churches no longer occupy a central place within culture;
  • Christians exist as a minority group amidst many ideological communities;
  • Christianity seeks not to rule over society but to witness to it through lived expressions of God’s kingdom;
  • Churches reimagine their primary role as a movement rather than an institution; and
  • Christians move from maintaining the status quo to radically following Jesus from the margins.
Shifts like these discourage many Christians—but should they? As an Anabaptist, I welcome them. In today’s post-Christian culture, Christians would do well to see these changes as opportunities to re-embrace our subversive roots and follow Jesus from the margins. The natural outcome could be a witness characterized by the fruit of the Spirit, enemy love, and justice for the poor. Perhaps, for people like David, Christian credibility will be revived afresh.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Re: From the Margins

Post by Bootstrap »

Another quote from Naked Anabaptism in a more recent blog post:
New Christians, from what some refer to as “Post-Christian” situations, are drawn toward seven core convictions that reflect our historical story. Murray summarizes them as:
  • Jesus is our example, teacher, friend, redeemer and Lord. – Christ invites us to follow him in all parts of life, by his example as we worship him.
  • Jesus is the focal point of God’s revelation. – Jesus as revealed in the Scriptures is the center from which all interpretation flows.
  • Western culture is slowly emerging from the Christendom era. – Culture no longer will be dominated by the church, giving believers an opportunity to evangelize in new ways from the margins of society rather than the center.
  • The frequent association of the church with status, wealth and force is inappropriate for followers of Jesus and damages our witness. – This is not to say that one cannot be rich and a Christian, but that we can be known for our identification with the poor and suffering of our world.
  • Churches are called to be committed communities of discipleship and mission, places of friendship, mutual accountability and multi-voiced worship. – In an age of individualism, Anabaptists model a communal faith that fosters spiritual gifts and authentic relationships.
  • Spirituality and economics are inter-connected. – In an age of consumerism, Jesus calls us to simplicity, justice for the poor, and generosity.
  • Peace is at the heart of the gospel. – Nonviolence, as modeled by Jesus, is evidence of the good news of the kingdom.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would admonish progressive Anabaptists to re-read their own material and consider why they are perfectly aligned with the half of the Empire represented by the Democratic Party.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I would admonish progressive Anabaptists to re-read their own material and consider why they are perfectly aligned with the half of the Empire represented by the Democratic Party.
I don't know anything about Kurt Willems except for a few blog posts I read. These seem spot on to me. Did you have issues with the content of these posts? (I found his blog when he followed me on Twitter, he seems to be a Greek-loving Mennonite too.)

I would rather keep the focus on Jesus and who we are in the Kingdom. So often, any discussion of what it means for us to live in this country as resident aliens gets derailed by changing the topic to the kinds of things political insiders want us to focus on. But these are not the things that make up the Kingdom of God.

Identifying with Democrats, Republicans, Trump, Sanders ... this is very common for Christians of all stripes. And it's a worry when we give away our identity like that. Let's face it, we are not experts on the inside affairs of American politics, but we're often wiling to beat each other up over these issues, blindly accepting the narrative from "our side". When we do that, we don't look like Jesus. And we lose our spiritual credibility if we identify closely with people who do not look like Jesus.

Can we look like Jesus and still be so entangled with the affairs of this world? When Ragpicker tells us to be careful about what we let into our minds ... isn't the ongoing political fight and identification with political heroes something we should keep out of our minds?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I've followed Willems for a while including his podcast ("Paulcast").

Unfortunately, he is also deeply committed to liberation theology. I would never have a place to fit in with him and his group, since I don't equate sin==oppression nor do I think that Jesus would want us to vote for Democrats to "resist oppression", nor do I think that Trump voters are inherently sinful just for voting for Trump.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I've followed Willems for a while including his podcast ("Paulcast").

Unfortunately, he is also deeply committed to liberation theology. I would never have a place to fit in with him and his group, since I don't equate sin==oppression nor do I think that Jesus would want us to vote for Democrats to "resist oppression", nor do I think that Trump voters are inherently sinful just for voting for Trump.
OK, I'm no fan of liberation theology, I haven't heard his podcasts.

But sometimes I think we spend so much time and energy reinforcing disagreements among Christians that we cannot focus on Jesus, the one who draws us together. And I thought the above posts did a good job of reminding us.
As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
Suppose we agreed not to talk about Democrats, Republicans, Trump, etc. for a few months. Would we even remember what Christians talk about? Sometimes I wonder.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Right. I really like the Paulcast and I think Willems is a good student (and dare I say up and coming scholar) of Greek.

And I liked everything in your original post. What bothers me is how little of the application of it I see. One of the reasons I have stayed with conservative Mennonites is I haven't really found anywhere else that takes seriously a commitment not to be of either the Republican or the Democratic kingdom. In this last election season, believers have been particularly willing to be aligned with one political belief system or another.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

I did a bit of reading on Willems' Pangea Communities. I would place them solidly in the peace and justice/non-violent resistance/subversion camp, quite different from nonresistance.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:And I liked everything in your original post. What bothers me is how little of the application of it I see. One of the reasons I have stayed with conservative Mennonites is I haven't really found anywhere else that takes seriously a commitment not to be of either the Republican or the Democratic kingdom. In this last election season, believers have been particularly willing to be aligned with one political belief system or another.
I agree.

And some of the conservative Mennos here have been very consistent in steering clear from identifying with political factions. Some other Mennos have been too.

I find that I struggle with that. MN is the most political forum I participate in, and when I see things that seem wrong to me, it's easy for me to get engaged in hunting down the facts from sources I trust. Especially since political opinions are often expressed with religious fervor, as though they were part of our faith or something, and people who disagree are treated as ignorant or morally suspect.

All of this distracts from discipleship. It takes too much time and energy, and generally leads to bad blood. I'm trying to get away from that.
0 x