Maranatha conference? - What do you know about them?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Maranatha conference? - What do you know about them?

Post by Haystack »

Is this the most conservative of the AM? It sounds very different from what I've experienced around Beachys.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: Why do you say that?
Have you read the document? Can’t work for any non-EPMC employer that uses internet unless said employer agrees to a filtering policy acceptable to the EPMC. Good luck on that, I would even have to quit my current job.
J.M.
Yes, I have read it. The lines are not firmly drawn with respect to employees of non-EPMC employers. That gives a lot of discretion to the bishops.
Based on various conversations I have had, I think there is significant flexibility with respect to the filtering which is accepted when an individual works for a non-EPMC employer.
Do you have at least a basic web filter in place where you work? Combine that with an ad blocker and you just might be OK if you are mature and spiritually stable.
Ken_Sylvania is correct. But maybe I could expand on his explanation. In certain Eastern congregations, the word "internet" is pretty much banned from mentioning. If there is a member that has a desire to use the internet, the church will vote on whether they will allow their members to have access under the restrictions of the bishop statement. They don’t vote on a specific individual having it, but if they will allow their members to use the internet at all (some would have rejected the bishop statement and say no internet, no matter the situation). In order to be allowed to have internet access, there needs to be both congregational approval and bishop approval. There are some districts which are split on the issue and while the bishop supports it, the individual church rejects it. Most people don’t realize the diversity of positions held within Eastern.

Now, the interesting thing this is that Eastern’s bishop’s statement is different than their written standard. Their last standard was written in 2014 and states something different.

Computers shall not be used for “Internet” connections to information pools such as the World Wide Web because of the detrimental effects this can have on spiritual life. Computers with audio features capable of sight and sound combinations similar to videos and television shall not be used. Using the computer for games and entertainment is not permitted. We caution against the conditioning effect of ‘the screen” upon the separated way of life. To limit cell phone use to basic communication, members shall refrain from using cell phones for pictures, games, music, or Internet connections. Because of its tendency toward secretive and inappropriate communication, we continue to be negative toward text messaging.

This difference in what was approved by the bishops vs by Eastern as a whole is part of the reason why Appalachian Mountain Church split off.

If anyone wants to see Eastern’s current standard, the link is below.

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Haystack wrote:Is this the most conservative of the AM? It sounds very different from what I've experienced around Beachys.
Along with Ambassadors, Midwest Beachy, and others including independent churches, this is basically where the ultra conservative minded Beachys have all gone. The rest of the BA churches have, predictably, ended up trending less conservative now that these groups have pulled out.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Does Maranatha have internet in the home or just business? Do they have the same policy of the EPMC?
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Chris wrote:Does Maranatha have internet in the home or just business? Do they have the same policy of the EPMC?
There was a change in rules about 2 years ago which loosened up the restrictions a lot. Internet is now allowed in home and in business as long as filtered (not sure if it is as extreme as Eastern though). Smartphones must have a security appliance installed. Not sure about accountability to ministry or a committee.

These rules apply to the local marathana churches close to me (Lancaster), and I am assuming conference wide.
0 x
MichaelPA
Affiliation: Christian

Post by MichaelPA »

ken_sylvania wrote:
MichaelPA wrote:I don't think Eastern PA Mennonites require black cars anymore. As long as the cars are a dark color, it is ok.
They never did require black cars.
A lot of them from this one specific congregation used to drive black cars, which is why I thought they used to require black cars.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MichaelPA wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
MichaelPA wrote:I don't think Eastern PA Mennonites require black cars anymore. As long as the cars are a dark color, it is ok.
They never did require black cars.
A lot of them from this one specific congregation used to drive black cars, which is why I thought they used to require black cars.
I can understand why a person would think that.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I myself drive a black car with black bumpers.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Josh wrote:I myself drive a black car with black bumpers.
You're outdoing YorkAndAdams :lol:
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Yeah, but i believe it is a Lexus. Black is Beautiful!
0 x