Anabaptists Serving in Law Enforcement and the Military

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Anabaptists Serving in Law Enforcement and the Military

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:I don't think openness to serving in some capacity which may involve lethal force would always follow registration for concealed carry, but I suspect that a person moving toward use of lethal force (whether as a job or as "self defense") would first acquire a handgun and register for concealed carry.

My grandpa lived all of his life on the high plains in western Oklahoma, and never had a gun at all. I grew up east of there (also in Oklahoma), and we had water moccasins all over the place, especially around the ponds, and didn't need guns, especially not pistols.

Some of my dad's younger cousins had rifles for hunting growing up, and they were refused CO status because they hunted. That was up to the local draft board, but the attitude was there already then, that if you killed animals, you shouldn't object to killing the enemies of the nation. (This was in Garfield County, Oklahoma, in the late 50's & 60's.)
Very true. Even in the 40s this was the case.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I carry a .38 spl. in my back pocket while working outside in our gardens. First two rounds are birdshot. Hollow points after that. We had a real bad critter problem in our compost bins (rats). So there's more than one reason to pack heat.
What are the hollow points for?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:
I carry a .38 spl. in my back pocket while working outside in our gardens. First two rounds are birdshot. Hollow points after that. We had a real bad critter problem in our compost bins (rats). So there's more than one reason to pack heat.
Mushrooming, I suspect.

No, seriously. It's a legitimate morel use of the technology. The bullet expands (mushrooms) inside the rat, rather than passing clean through and damaging something beyond. And in case of a miss, less chance of ricochet.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Couldn't resist, eh? Is that a morel failure?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote:
I never used a .38 before, but I imagine that if the first two shots miss, the rat will be out of birdshot range and you'd need a solid bullet by the third shot. They're speedy little buggers.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Mushrooming, I suspect.

No, seriously. It's a legitimate morel use of the technology. The bullet expands (mushrooms) inside the rat, rather than passing clean through and damaging something beyond. And in case of a miss, less chance of ricochet.
Is this Military or Law Enforcement?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I'd consider it enforcement of the local "no rats in the compost bin" law. But maybe that's a hollow point, and the discussion actually has gone OT.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited