A Conservative Anabaptist Catechism?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
S A DeVault
Affiliation: Alien

A Conservative Anabaptist Catechism?

Post by S A DeVault »

I know that there are many different denominations in the Anabaptist tradition, so of course I'm not expecting something as universally authoritative as the current Catechism of the Catholic Church or the Catechism of the Council of Trent, but is there a Catechism or confession of faith that a majority of conservative Anabaptists would agree with? I'm really just eager to start to learn, and not sure how to go about it. Any suggested reading, besides my daily Scripture reading?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: A Conservative Anabaptist Catechism?

Post by steve-in-kville »

One thing that would set us apart from other groups is a "believer's baptism" instead of an infant baptism. I have Lutheran roots on my dad's side and we have several infant baptism certificates archives, written in German at that. Some date back to the mid-1700's.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

S A DeVault wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:51 pm I know that there are many different denominations in the Anabaptist tradition, so of course I'm not expecting something as universally authoritative as the current Catechism of the Catholic Church or the Catechism of the Council of Trent, but is there a Catechism or confession of faith that a majority of conservative Anabaptists would agree with? I'm really just eager to start to learn, and not sure how to go about it. Any suggested reading, besides my daily Scripture reading?
Hi S A, I'm not sure what you are looking for, or if it even exists as Anabaptistism is broad. You might start with Bender's "Anabaptist Vision" or Guy Hershberger's "Recovering the Anabaptist Vision" and "The Way of the Cross in Human Relations."
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Maybe it's not so "conservative" but this is pretty good. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/who-are-me ... -of-faith/

Unfortunately, a small majority at a recent conference has now rejected the part about marriage being between one man and one woman.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Schleitheim and Dordrecht Confessions would be about as close as you get for historical conservative Anabaptists. These are not universally agreed-upon in its entirety, mostly differing over the ban. Otherwise there might be a nit pick here and there but I would say they’re pretty close.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

See this thread for a discussion on the 1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith.

viewtopic.php?t=4842

This CoF is endorsed by many of the congregations and denominations that descended from the Swiss Brethren heritage, and is claimed by the congregation to which my wife & I belong. I am from the Dutch Mennonite heritage, and while this confession of faith was, as I understand, written by the General Conference Mennonites, who are also of Dutch Mennonite heritage (often we are all referred to as "Russian Mennonites"), my own faith background, Mennonite Brethren, has never claimed this confession.

What I think you might find interesting and revealing, would be to compare various confessions point by point. Individual congregational Statements of Faith might also be interesting to compare. (One stark difference in the original MB statements is that there was a recognition from the beginning (1860), that God calls men into the role of pastor by two basic means, through the voice of the congregation, and through a personal call. This latter form of a call to ministry is rarely if ever recognized in the congregations of Swiss Brethren descent.)
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
S A DeVault

Post by S A DeVault »

barnhart wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:22 am
Hi S A, I'm not sure what you are looking for, or if it even exists as Anabaptistism is broad. You might start with Bender's "Anabaptist Vision" or Guy Hershberger's "Recovering the Anabaptist Vision" and "The Way of the Cross in Human Relations."
[/quote]

I'll look up those two titles, thanks!
0 x
S A DeVault

Post by S A DeVault »

Neto wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:51 am See this thread for a discussion on the 1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith.

viewtopic.php?t=4842

This CoF is endorsed by many of the congregations and denominations that descended from the Swiss Brethren heritage, and is claimed by the congregation to which my wife & I belong. I am from the Dutch Mennonite heritage, and while this confession of faith was, as I understand, written by the General Conference Mennonites, who are also of Dutch Mennonite heritage (often we are all referred to as "Russian Mennonites"), my own faith background, Mennonite Brethren, has never claimed this confession.

What I think you might find interesting and revealing, would be to compare various confessions point by point. Individual congregational Statements of Faith might also be interesting to compare. (One stark difference in the original MB statements is that there was a recognition from the beginning (1860), that God calls men into the role of pastor by two basic means, through the voice of the congregation, and through a personal call. This latter form of a call to ministry is rarely if ever recognized in the congregations of Swiss Brethren descent.)
Hi Neto, I read this CoF, I found it very enlightening. I think I agree with everything in it, although giving up tobacco will be hard for me, as well as viewing communion from the Anabaptist perspective, mostly because transubstantiation was so hammered into me at the Roman Church
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

S A DeVault wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 am
Neto wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:51 am See this thread for a discussion on the 1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith.

viewtopic.php?t=4842

Hi Neto, I read this CoF, I found it very enlightening. I think I agree with everything in it, although giving up tobacco will be hard for me, as well as viewing communion from the Anabaptist perspective, mostly because transubstantiation was so hammered into me at the Roman Church
One of the closest things to a “catechism” would be the Martyr’s Mirror.
0 x
S A DeVault

Post by S A DeVault »

Josh wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:06 am
S A DeVault wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 am

viewtopic.php?t=4842

One of the closest things to a “catechism” would be the Martyr’s Mirror.
I plan on beginning to read Martyr's Mirror today!
0 x