As Christians, what kind of government do we fear?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: As Christians, what kind of government do we fear?

Post by barnhart »

Swiss.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I fear all governments.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Robert wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:42 am I fear all governments.
Perhaps you are hitting on something here. Maybe we learn to fear the government that we have. If I live in a Deep Blue dominated state, then, since the reds have not power, I feel no threat from them. They are toothless. Or, if I live in a Deep Red dominated state, then the blues are toothless, and nothing to fear.

Beyond government, we still have the threat of wokeness. Or, perhaps in Portland, someone might feel threatened by the Proud Boys. But neither of these to sources are specifically government.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:13 pm ...Maybe we learn to fear the government that we have. If I live in a Deep Blue dominated state, then, since the reds have not power, I feel no threat from them. They are toothless. Or, if I live in a Deep Red dominated state, then the blues are toothless, and nothing to fear.
Isn't this the opposite of what can be observed in real life.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:52 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:13 pm ...Maybe we learn to fear the government that we have. If I live in a Deep Blue dominated state, then, since the reds have not power, I feel no threat from them. They are toothless. Or, if I live in a Deep Red dominated state, then the blues are toothless, and nothing to fear.
Are you referring to the way the party in power has control of the bully pulpit, or the narrative? Or, are you suggesting that the party out of power is truly more of a threat than the party in power?
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm
Are you referring to the way the party in power has control of the bully pulpit, or the narrative? Or, are you suggesting that the party out of power is truly more of a threat than the party in power?
It seems to me people are often afraid of the party that has little power in their region.
0 x
wesleyb

Post by wesleyb »

barnhart wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:06 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm
It seems to me people are often afraid of the party that has little power in their region.
I see this too. The narrative is “Yes, my side is in control now, but it’s very precarious and ‘they’ are coming to get us and destroy what we have any day now. I think both parties push this narrative on their followers equally. I’m sure it pays.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:13 pm
Perhaps you are hitting on something here. Maybe we learn to fear the government that we have. If I live in a Deep Blue dominated state, then, since the reds have not power, I feel no threat from them. They are toothless. Or, if I live in a Deep Red dominated state, then the blues are toothless, and nothing to fear.

Beyond government, we still have the threat of wokeness. Or, perhaps in Portland, someone might feel threatened by the Proud Boys. But neither of these to sources are specifically government.
Part is the definition of fear. If fear+respect go hand-in-hand, for instance, as a child may view his father, i identify with Robert’s succinct sentence. Another example, if i travel to ANY foreign land, i will take measures to prepare to respect (and fear) their laws. i cannot imagine attempting to cross a border illegally, i would expect harsh punishment for doing so - even if it were an innocent mistake. Fear+respect, indivisable.

Regarding wokeness, promoted through gov policies and funding, versus P Boys, etc., which are fringe and not promoted thru gov, there are distinct differences - one has made its way into gov. ‘Way too quickly+efficiently. Like wildfire.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
S A DeVault
Affiliation: Alien

Post by S A DeVault »

This might not add much to the discussion, but my uneducated 2¢ is that I fear any government that would attempt to stop me from worshipping God. That has been done by both right and left wing governments, in democracies, dictatorships, monarchies and everything in between. That being said, it seems that politicians on the left wing, at least in the States, are the ones pushing for more governmental interference in people's personal lives, currently. So they worry me the most right now. Maybe in a few years, it will be right wing politicians pushing such legislation
1 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Do you mean this in the sense that you do not think governments should exist? Or that you have a fear of what governments are capable of?
0 x