Have Christians unintentionally caused abortions?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
twinpines
Affiliation:

Re: Have Christians unintentionally caused abortions?

Post by twinpines »

I am curious what people's thoughts are for what the guy should do in this case and what the response of the church should be.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

twinpines wrote:I am curious what people's thoughts are for what the guy should do in this case and what the response of the church should be.
The father who fathered a child out of wedlock? He should repent, but usually that guy isn't around and certainly isn't interested in my opinion on spiritual things.
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

Josh wrote:
twinpines wrote:I am curious what people's thoughts are for what the guy should do in this case and what the response of the church should be.
The father who fathered a child out of wedlock? He should repent, but usually that guy isn't around and certainly isn't interested in my opinion on spiritual things.
What would repentance look like?
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Josh wrote:
Your answers are surprisingly judgemental and lacking grace. Maybe you have never been around repentant sinners that much. :angel
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ABC 123 wrote:
Josh wrote:
Your answers are surprisingly judgemental and lacking grace. Maybe you have never been around repentant sinners that much. :angel
I'm simply saying that most single mothers I deal with or have dealt with, the father is long gone and not in the picture. If he were, I'd be happy to befriend him.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

twinpines wrote:
Josh wrote:
What would repentance look like?
Take care of one's offspring and of one's child's mother.
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

Josh wrote:
ABC 123 wrote:
Josh wrote:
I'm simply saying that most single mothers I deal with or have dealt with, the father is long gone and not in the picture. If he were, I'd be happy to befriend him.
Am curious, are most situations involving a single woman getting pregnant in the anabaptist circles involved with a guy outside those circles. If that's the case, I'd expect the number of guys doing the same to be easily double that of single mothers but probably more likely 10x more common.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

twinpines wrote:Am curious, are most situations involving a single woman getting pregnant in the anabaptist circles involved with a guy outside those circles. If that's the case, I'd expect the number of guys doing the same to be easily double that of single mothers but probably more likely 10x more common.
Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge, no, and there is significant stigma (at least in my Mennonite group) attached to having a "town girlfriend".

If a young woman does get a town boyfriend, she usually is on her way out of the church when she does so. Of the few examples I can think of off-hand, I can't think of any who got pregnant.

Unmarried women becoming pregnant is quite common in some Anabaptist circles such as certain Amish groups, but there is great social pressure to become a church member and get married when that happens.
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

Josh wrote:
twinpines wrote:Am curious, are most situations involving a single woman getting pregnant in the anabaptist circles involved with a guy outside those circles. If that's the case, I'd expect the number of guys doing the same to be easily double that of single mothers but probably more likely 10x more common.
Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge, no, and there is significant stigma (at least in my Mennonite group) attached to having a "town girlfriend".

If a young woman does get a town boyfriend, she usually is on her way out of the church when she does so. Of the few examples I can think of off-hand, I can't think of any who got pregnant.

Unmarried women becoming pregnant is quite common in some Anabaptist circles such as certain Amish groups, but there is great social pressure to become a church member and get married when that happens.
So then if it's what I also expected, that most cases of singlehood pregnancy is with a insider guy why is it that you feel as you said in a post above, that its basically useless to talk to the guys. In the evangelical world as it is in the Bible, the strongest emphasis is with the guy to take responsibility. From your comments it seems to be different in the anabaptist world which would seem to unexpected to me.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

twinpines wrote:So then if it's what I also expected, that most cases of singlehood pregnancy is with a insider guy
Every example I can think of involves two young people who either left the church, or were on their way out of the church. Not much any of us can do to control them.
why is it that you feel as you said in a post above, that its basically useless to talk to the guys. In the evangelical world as it is in the Bible, the strongest emphasis is with the guy to take responsibility. From your comments it seems to be different in the anabaptist world which would seem to unexpected to me.
It's useless to talk to guys who don't want to listen to me.

For example, a (former) church member had loaded guns in his house that I felt were liable to being used for self defence purposes, a library full of Trump books, and I otherwise suspected he was becoming very attracted to the world. Unfortunately, he had no interest at all in talking to me about any of these things.

Another young man who never became a member but nonetheless went to youth, etc. wanted to get sportbike style of motorcycles. I advised him not to do so, but he went and did so anyway. He certainly isn't interested in hearing what I have to say about girlfriends, relationships, etc.

If a young man is interested in being part of the church and remaining in church, then you'd better believe I certainly take a strong stance against young men fornicating, whether with a girl in church or some girl out in the world. My stance is very clear that repentance from that involves public repentance, formal excommunication, and then a time of proving to be restored to being part of the body of Christ again. (The body of Christ is not composed of murderers, idolators, fornicators, and adulterers.)
In the evangelical world as it is in the Bible, the strongest emphasis is with the guy to take responsibility.
In the real world, single mothers tend to be more interested in hearing my input because they also want a lot of help with babysitting their kids, getting them in a good school, help moving, financial problems, help with legal problems with an ex, and so on.

If you have any bright ideas on how to get a "guy to take responsibility", I'm all ears. I can think of several children where I'd really like to see them take a proper role in their children's life and also reconcile their relationship with their children's mother.
0 x