Hi from appleman

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Hi from appleman

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm Thanks, I was wondering where this conversation was. I took four and a half years from this May 2017 until Jan 2022 to eat my first Cosmic Crisp.
https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.ph ... 122#p15122
appleman2006 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:21 am
temporal1 wrote: Have been reviewing Rose's blog recently, and wondering if you folks have any plans for COSMIC CRISP?
https://www.cosmiccrisp.com/the-facts/
I am not real familiar with the Cosmic Crisp.
I am guessing it is especially bred for a Washington State climate and is their attempt at trying to benefit from the Honey Crisp phenomenon. Honey Crisp is the first really popular apple in a long time that cannot really be grown well in the Washington climate and it is driving them crazy out there that they are missing out on it. I am guessing this is their attempt at getting a part of that market.

Call it apple politics if you will. :)
For some reason I find apple varieties interesting.
Thank you for finding this post from appleman! i was thinking of it recently, no idea how to locate it. (Some of the former Cosmic Crisp links aren’t opening, i’ll add this one:)

Cosmic Crisp Story
https://cosmiccrisp.com/story/

i have 3 of these in my kitchen now! it’s been a little hard finding them this year, but, finally! :D
they store well, and, are slow to turn brown when cut. great for me, i almost always cut in half, for a second day.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:58 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm Thanks, I was wondering where this conversation was. I took four and a half years from this May 2017 until Jan 2022 to eat my first Cosmic Crisp.
appleman2006 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:21 am

I am not real familiar with the Cosmic Crisp. I am guessing it is especially bred for a Washington State climate and is their attempt at trying to benefit from the Honey Crisp phenomenon. Honey Crisp is the first really popular apple in a long time that cannot really be grown well in the Washington climate and it is driving them crazy out there that they are missing out on it. I am guessing this is their attempt at getting a part of that market.

Call it apple politics if you will. :)
Cosmic Crisp was bred/developed at Washington State University and is only licensed to be sold to Washington state growers. I'd like to pick up a sapling or two to plant in the yard but they seem to be unavailable at local nurseries and only sold to commercial growers. WSU holds the patent and apparently sales are only restricted to Washington growers for the first 10 years and they have to pay royalties back to WSU.

It is some kind of cross between Honeycrisp and enterprise apples, trying to keep most of the characteristics of the honeycrisp but later ripening, better storage characteristics, and more suited to Washington's climate.

Maybe they will eventually be available to home gardeners, but not at the moment.
Luckily I live near Washington and was able to find a nursery in Washington who was able to sell me a tree. So I have a Cosmic Crisp planted in my orchard. But it is tiny, last year it was a mere stripling of about 18” tall.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am

Cosmic Crisp was bred/developed at Washington State University and is only licensed to be sold to Washington state growers. I'd like to pick up a sapling or two to plant in the yard but they seem to be unavailable at local nurseries and only sold to commercial growers. WSU holds the patent and apparently sales are only restricted to Washington growers for the first 10 years and they have to pay royalties back to WSU.

It is some kind of cross between Honeycrisp and enterprise apples, trying to keep most of the characteristics of the honeycrisp but later ripening, better storage characteristics, and more suited to Washington's climate.

Maybe they will eventually be available to home gardeners, but not at the moment.
Luckily I live near Washington and was able to find a nursery in Washington who was able to sell me a tree. So I have a Cosmic Crisp planted in my orchard. But it is tiny, last year it was a mere stripling of about 18” tall.
I'll look harder then! None of my local nurseries had them. They are my daughter's favorite apple.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:10 am

I'll look harder then! None of my local nurseries had them. They are my daughter's favorite apple.
Raintree Nursery. I see now they are saying they can only sell to Washington residents:
The plants are licensed and limited by WSU to ONLY be sold to people residing and growing the plants in the state of Washington. WE CANNOT SHIP this tree to an address outside of Washington State.
Last spring when I bought mine, that didn’t come up at all. I didn’t ask them to ship it though, and so they probably assumed I was local.
Last edited by RZehr on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am
Raintree Nursery. I see now they are saying they can only sell to Washington residents:
The plants are licensed and limited by WSU to ONLY be sold to people residing and growing the plants in the state of Washington. WE CANNOT SHIP this tree to an address outside of Washington State.
Last spring when I bought mine, that didn’t come up at all.
Bingo! Thanks. They aren't cheap and I see they only ship to WA addresses: https://raintreenursery.com/products/co ... 3169602743

The Q&A says you have to wait until 2027 to get them sold outside of WA.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 am i have 3 of these in my kitchen now! it’s been a little hard finding them this year, but, finally! :D
Time for some housecleaning in the kitchen, maybe?

I keep my apples in the fridge, middle shelf on the right. No problem finding them if they are always in the same place. :idea:
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:08 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 am i have 3 of these in my kitchen now! it’s been a little hard finding them this year, but, finally! :D
Time for some housecleaning in the kitchen, maybe?

I keep my apples in the fridge, middle shelf on the right. No problem finding them if they are always in the same place. :idea:

1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last spring when I bought mine, that didn’t come up at all. I didn’t ask them to ship it though, and so they probably assumed I was local.
What other variety did you plant with them? For pollination I would need to put in two different Mid-Late Season apple varieties and I'm not familiar with any of these other varieties on the list except for Pink Lady. You can't use the Honeycrisp for cross pollination because they are too closely related.

0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:30 pm

What other variety did you plant with them? For pollination I would need to put in two different Mid-Late Season apple varieties and I'm not familiar with any of these other varieties on the list except for Pink Lady. You can't use the Honeycrisp for cross pollination because they are too closely related.

From June 24, 2020: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=163&start=130
Tonight we finished planting our apple orchard. 16 trees. We’ll see how they do!
King
Golden/Yellow Delicious
Macintosh
Gala
Red Spy
Arkansas Black
Red Delicious
Gravenstein
Granny Smith
Braeburn
Fuji
Pink Lady
Yellow Transparent
Cosmic Crisp
Honey Crisp
Zestar
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

My personal favorite is the Jonathan. Most people think of it as a "cooking apple", but we ate them right out by the tree.

[Closest variety to it I've ever tasted is one we could get in Brazil, the "Nacional" (meaning 'national'). We still have a few apple trees in out back yard here in Berlin, and there's one which is a rather small apple, thick skinned, and bearing late. They also keep better than any of the other varieties which were here when we bought this place, and there were a LOT of different types. (We've really thinned them out, because they were planted much too close for in a yard, and we couldn't maintain all of them. They seemed to not get enough sun, and they got a lot of moldy stuff on them. I suppose we neglected them, because we never had to spray our fruit trees in Brazil - Jambo, Malay Apple in English, Mango, and Pupunha, Peach Palm in English. Didn't have to spray the pineapple, either. So we intended to do it 'natural' here, too, but that didn't work. I suspect that part of the problem was that the varieties the previous owner had planted were not native species. But then the Malay Apple is not native to South America, either.)]
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.