Comprehensive List of Churches/History

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Comprehensive List of Churches/History

Post by YorkandAdams »

Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned in my intro post, I am fairly new to the conservative mennonite sphere and am trying to gather as much info as possible specifically on conservative churches in my area. My local congregation has been extremely helpful providing detailed information, but I would like to know what is actually documented so that I am not doing work that has already been done. So far I have used pilgrim and G.A.M.E.O. in order to locate, study, and update information for the churches in my area, but I keep hearing there are larger databases that might be available. CLP and Cory Anderson's are the other ones I have heard mentioned. Could someone maybe fill me in on what these databases have that pilgrim or G.A.M.E.O. does not? Any single database more comprehensive than the others?

Or maybe the best question to ask is....
What resources do we currently have that can be used to identify and profile conservative mennonite churches?

Thanks!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Comprehensive List of Churches/History

Post by Josh »

Cory's database is the most complete but is a few years out of date. Myself and ernie have fairly complete databases for our areas. There are a few people who would have a great deal more information on specific subgroups, eg Mark Fitzgerald would know a lot about Brethren, Mark Earnest Burr seems to know every detail about Anabaptist groups in Ontario, and so forth.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Pilgrim Ministry uses CLP's directory which is basically the Mennonite and Amish-Mennonite folks they feel comfortable associating with.
Sword and Trumpet published a directory for awhile that listed all the other Mennonite groups, but their last issue was 2012.

Anderson's directory lists all plain Anabaptists that he was aware of at the time of publishing.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:Pilgrim Ministry uses CLP's directory which is basically the Mennonite and Amish-Mennonite folks they feel comfortable associating with.
Sword and Trumpet published a directory for awhile that listed all the other Mennonite groups, but their last issue was 2012.

Anderson's directory lists all plain Anabaptists that he was aware of at the time of publishing.
The IRS has a database of all groups that have qualified for a social security tax exemption. It was released under a FOIA request by a reporter during the "Obamacare" debate. I came into possession of it. It largely mirrors Cory's.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

A lot of them were approved before obamacare (the databse says 2005 for many of them.)
Link here: www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/SSAGroups.xls
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

francis wrote:A lot of them were approved before obamacare (the databse says 2005 for many of them.)
Link here: http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/SSAGroups.xls
A lot of them were approved in 1950.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

francis wrote:A lot of them were approved before obamacare (the databse says 2005 for many of them.)
I am supprised there was not more brethren groups. This is really useful thanks!
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

YorkandAdams wrote:
I am supprised there was not more brethren groups. This is really useful thanks!
Do Brethren typically opt out of Social Security? Holdemans don't.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote: Do Brethren typically opt out of Social Security? Holdemans don't.
Yes they do (at least for the more conservative denominations). I was able to find several different brethren groups in the list but each group only had a few churches listed. maybe the list is too outdated (latest update was 2009).
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

YorkandAdams wrote:
Josh wrote: Do Brethren typically opt out of Social Security? Holdemans don't.
Yes they do (at least for the more conservative denominations). I was able to find several different brethren groups in the list but each group only had a few churches listed. maybe the list is too outdated (latest update was 2009).
Seems unlikely if only a few churches are listed.

If a church has a large number of formerly Amish members, it will inherit their burden to retire without SS and often will show up on the list. I can think of some MC USA and CMC type churches who are on the list that meet this description.

There's even one Reformed church on there.
0 x