Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Comprehensive List of Churches/History

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

francis wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
francis wrote:
A small update (nothing big, sadly) I was looking through some legal databases and found an article describing a lawsuit in which the Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church (listed on the database linked above) won a suit against a commissioner in 1984 because they weren't paying social security taxes. (linked here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicf85.pdf).
This was the best I could find regarding specific congregations when going through the Freedom of Information Act files.

I can confirm here (http://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/dhimmi ... -exemption) that the above database of exempted churches was compiled in 2009 and since it was only requested because of a one-time myth (namely, that Muslims were exempt from Obamacare,) there likely have not been any requests made since.

So according to earlier comments, most mennonite churches should be indexed by either gameo or pilgrim ministry, is that correct? When I've looked, the place I usually attend (followers of the way) isn't on there, but I'm aware that they're their own group and not much affiliated with others. But the Sugar Hill Mennonite Mission in New York isn't in either database either, I only found it through Google Maps (of all places!)
Not really. Pilgrim uses the Christian Light Publishing database, which is quite incomplete, as it does not include the BMA or any BMA-like group, and does not include Brethren related groups. It also does not include "Froleich" related Apostolic groups. The CLP database also does not include Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, (Holderman), so that eliminates sugar hill.

As your group is BMA, it dies not make the list. I have visited your church, and enjoyed it immensely. I attend another urban anabaptist church, and am happy to know that there are others as well, doing the work. Sooner or later, I will be up in NYC, so see you there.

The most complete known database is Cory Anderson's, as it includes all of the above groups. I checked, both the COGICM and your church are there. This database is a bear to get running, and you have to get it directly from Cory. It requires a working copy of Microsoft "Streets and Trips" which is defunct. Let me know if you want more info, or need a specific church/location.

Blessings,

J.M.

Jerry
When I found Sugar Hill, it was the first time I'd found an Anabaptist church through google (successfully.)

I recently got ahold of Cory's directory ("A Portrait of our People") and it seems incomplete as well, no Eastern Pennsylvania or COGIC churches listed there. It's a beautiful book, but not as complete as I expected. Is Cory's database separate from that?
Yes. He has a digital directory, for which he charges a nominal fee. As above the principle burden is not what Cory is asking for, but the burden of obtaining a working copy of Microsoft "Streets and Trips" which is defunct. Some versions require XP! He also does not want this downloaded to the internet as well.

If you want Cory's address PM me, but I would look into getting the software running first.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sugar Hill is part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (popularly known as Holdemans) who have never been social security exempt and do not seek exemption. Older Holdeman people accept Social Security and Medicare benefits.

In retrospect, we’d be financially better off if we’d been exempt, but the Lord will provide for our needs.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Does anyone else here visit or attend Sugar Hill? If so PM me. I go there whenever I have to work in NYC on a Wednesday/Thursday or a Monday.
0 x