Anabaptist Acronyms

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Anabaptist Acronyms

Post by Swiss Bro »

Here are some acronyms out of the Fröhlich / ACC / Nazarene spectrum:
  • ACC = Apostolic Christian Church = Common English designation for the Fröhlich congregations.
  • ACCA = Apostolic Christian Church of America = "unvertragsam" ("intolerant", i.e. facial hair prohibiting) branch in America (plus Japan, Canada and Mexico) post 1905 split. Note: the strict stance of the ACCA on facial hair seems to have somewhat alleviated recently.
  • ACF = Apostolic Christian Faith Church = conservative split off the ACCA in 2012.
  • ACCN = Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarean) = "vertragsam" ("tolerant", i.e. facial hair allowing) branch post 1905 split in America (plus Canada, Mexico). In Australia, the spelling is Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarene).
  • NCC = Nazarene Christian Congregation (aka Doroslovac Group) = split off Eastern Europe Nazarenes in 1948. Has congregations in the US. Note: Nazarenes is the common/colloquial designation for the Fröhlich congregations in Eastern Europe.
  • GACC = German Apostolic Christian Church = conservative split off the ACCA 1932, initially went by the name of CAC but is called GACC since 1955.
  • CAC = Christian Apostolic Church = split off the GACC in 1955 but took the CAC name.
  • INAC = Iglesia Nazarena Apostolica Cristiana = Spanish name for the Fröhlich congregations used e.g. in Argentina.
  • GET = Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter = original German name of the Fröhlich congregations in Western Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Sweden), now only used by the few remaining strict ("intolerant") branches in Switzerland and Germany. The strict German GET congregations add "Altmennoniten" (i.e. GET (Altmennoniten)). Attention: most of the conservative "tolerant" branches that are not affiliated with the ETG Federation (see below) use the name of GET (Nazarener). As a rule of thumb, when the word "Nazarene" is used, it is a "tolerant" branch.
  • ETG = Evangelische Täufergemeinde = name used since around 1984 by the "tolerant" congregations in Western Europe affiliated with the ETG Federation (now only Switzerland and Germany plus one non-affiliated congregation in Austria that goes by the ETG name). Before that, since the 1905 split, the branches were known as GET I and GET II. The non-affiliated "tolerant" branches now go by the name of GET (Nazarener) or something along these lines.
Hope I got that right. For more info, this is a good source:

https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/handle/181 ... p26-60.pdf
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

steve-in-kville wrote:COB - Church of the Brethren
DB - Dunkard Brethren
BBF - Biblical Brethren Fellowship (not to be confused with the Bible Brethren which is far more conservative!)
Are the conservative Bible Brethren Anabaptists? I found some websites and couldn't be sure.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

DB - Dunkard Brethren
BBF - Biblical Brethren Fellowship (not to be confused with the Bible Brethren which is far more conservative!)
There's also a Brethren Revival Fellowship.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
fritzmb
Affiliation: ACCA

Post by fritzmb »

Swiss Bro wrote:ACCA = Apostolic Christian Church of America = "unvertragsam" ("intolerant", i.e. facial hair prohibiting) branch in America (plus Japan, Canada and Mexico) post 1905 split. Note: the strict stance of the ACCA on facial hair seems to have somewhat alleviated recently.
Interesting that you would choose "facial hair prohibiting" as the distinguishing factor of the ACCA.
As of late 2017, the facial hair "prohibition" (which, as noted, had recently been somewhat alleviated, or maybe more accurately, ignored) was essentially completely removed (with appropriate admonitions to be prayerful about how our personal decisions can impact our brothers and sisters in Christ).
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

francis wrote:
DB - Dunkard Brethren
Are the conservative Bible Brethren Anabaptists? I found some websites and couldn't be sure.
They wouldn't have a website, I can guarantee that! They're not even supposed to have computers in the homes. Yes, they are Anabaptist. The conservative brethren groups can get really confusing as they don't really have a conference and often they are referred to by nicknames. This would warrant a thread all in its own. Perhaps I should start one?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
francis wrote:
DB - Dunkard Brethren
They wouldn't have a website, I can guarantee that! They're not even supposed to have computers in the homes. Yes, they are Anabaptist. The conservative brethren groups can get really confusing as they don't really have a conference and often they are referred to by nicknames. This would warrant a thread all in its own. Perhaps I should start one?
That would be an excellent thread too, Steve.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I'm getting ready to start a new thread on MN titled "Acronyms used on MennoNet"
Hopefully this can be made a "sticky" on the Announcements and Introductions Forum

This current thread is the place for discussion. The new thread will not allow discussion.

Please review this list and suggest any additions, deletions, or changes.

Thank you,

Acronyms used on MennoNet
MN – MennoNet
MD – MennoDiscuss – the predecessor of MennoNet

BT = Bunny Trail
BTW = By the way
LOL = Laughing out loud

IMO = In my opinion
IMHO = In my humble opinion
IMVHO = In my very humble opinion :)

e.g. = example
i.e. = in other words

D&R - Divorce and Remarriage
MAP = Mission to Amish People
WIM - Women In Ministry

A document explaining the different plain people.
https://www.churchplantersforum.org/wp- ... People.pdf

Anabaptist Acronyms
CA = Conservative Anabaptist
CM = Conservative Mennonite
MB = Mennonite Born or Mennonite Background - also Mennonite Brethren (an evangelical-leaning Mennonite group most common in the great planes of Canada & the US)
NMB = Not Mennonite By Birth but identifies as a Mennonite in adulthood
AB = Anabaptist Background as a child; cradle Anabaptist
NAB = Person who was not raised Anabaptist but identifies as an Anabaptist as an adult

Anabaptist Conferences and Fellowships
BA or BAM = Beachy or Beachy Amish-Mennonite
BBF = Biblical Brethren Fellowship (not to be confused with the Bible Brethren which is far more conservative!)
BMA = Biblical Mennonite Alliance (A progressive-conservative group established in 1998)
BRF = Brethren Revival Fellowship
COB = Church of the Brethren
COGICM or CGCM = Church of God in Christ Mennonite; “Holdeman Mennonites”
CMC = Conservative Mennonite Conference; "Conservative Conference"; (conservative in theology; not plain in practice)
DB = Dunkard Brethren
EMC = Evangelical Mennonite Church
EMMC = Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference
KMF = Keystone Mennonite Fellowship (A moderate/progressive-conservative group that broke away from Lancaster Conference)
MC-USA = The more liberal/mainstream branch of Mennodom that is a result of the General Conference & Old Mennonite merger in the 1990's
MCC = Mennonite Central Committee (aid organization of MC-USA)
MDS = Mennonite Disaster Serevice
OGBBC-NC = Old German Baptist Brethren Church – New Conference
OGBBC-OC = Old German Baptist Brethren Church – Original Conference
OO = Old Order (Anabaptists who keep to old forms of worship and sometimes old forms of technology)
OOA = Old Order Amish
OOM = Old Order Mennonite
OORB = Old Order River Brethren
UMC = United Mennonite Church

Here are some acronyms out of the Fröhlich / ACC / Nazarene spectrum:
ACC = Apostolic Christian Church = Common English designation for the Fröhlich congregations.
ACCA = Apostolic Christian Church of America = "unvertragsam" ("intolerant", i.e. facial hair prohibiting) branch in America (plus Japan, Canada and Mexico) post 1905 split. Note: the strict stance of the ACCA on facial hair seems to have somewhat alleviated recently.
ACF = Apostolic Christian Faith Church = conservative split off the ACCA in 2012.
ACCN = Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarean) = "vertragsam" ("tolerant", i.e. facial hair allowing) branch post 1905 split in America (plus Canada, Mexico). In Australia, the spelling is Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarene).
NCC = Nazarene Christian Congregation (aka Doroslovac Group) = split off Eastern Europe Nazarenes in 1948. Has congregations in the US. Note: Nazarenes is the common/colloquial designation for the Fröhlich congregations in Eastern Europe.
GACC = German Apostolic Christian Church = conservative split off the ACCA 1932, initially went by the name of CAC but is called GACC since 1955.
CAC = Christian Apostolic Church = split off the GACC in 1955 but took the CAC name.
INAC = Iglesia Nazarena Apostolica Cristiana = Spanish name for the Fröhlich congregations used e.g. in Argentina.
GET = Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter = original German name of the Fröhlich congregations in Western Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Sweden), now only used by the few remaining strict ("intolerant") branches in Switzerland and Germany. The strict German GET congregations add "Altmennoniten" (i.e. GET (Altmennoniten)). Attention: most of the conservative "tolerant" branches that are not affiliated with the ETG Federation (see below) use the name of GET (Nazarener). As a rule of thumb, when the word "Nazarene" is used, it is a "tolerant" branch.
ETG = Evangelische Täufergemeinde = name used since around 1984 by the "tolerant" congregations in Western Europe affiliated with the ETG Federation (now only Switzerland and Germany plus one non-affiliated congregation in Austria that goes by the ETG name). Before that, since the 1905 split, the branches were known as GET I and GET II. The non-affiliated "tolerant" branches now go by the name of GET (Nazarener) or something along these lines.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

CAM
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote:I'm getting ready to start a new thread on MN titled "Acronyms used on MennoNet"
Hopefully this can be made a "sticky" on the Announcements and Introductions Forum

This current thread is the place for discussion. The new thread will not allow discussion.

Please review this list and suggest any additions, deletions, or changes.

Thank you,

Acronyms used on MennoNet

MCC = Mennonite Central Committee (aid organization of MC-USA)
MCC is an inter-Mennonite organization, with many Mennonite conferences participating. (At least it was originally, and was into at least the early 1980's.)

From their website:
MCC U.S. sponsoring denominations
MCC U.S. is grateful for the support of our sponsoring denominations and their congregations and members:

Beachy Amish Mennonite Churches
Brethren in Christ Church
Conservative Mennonite Conference
Fellowship of Evangelical Churches
Mennonite Church USA
U.S. Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches
(Including the BAM is a surprise to me.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Post #7 of this thread was intended to suggest a correction in spelling that didn't make it into the compiled list.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited