Affiliation

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Affiliation

Post by Robert »

I have noticed that a lot of members are playing pretty loose with the Affiliation field. While I do not want to be hard, it has a real purpose.

It helps others hear your perspective and understand better what foundation you are speaking from. It is for general or specific religious affiliations.

It would really help if everyone would take a minute to make sure yours defines your denomination/religious affiliation. Where do you find yourself fitting? Not what witty word you can post so it hides your religious perspective. Please take time to find a way to identify your religious perspective. Suggestions are denominational or conference connections that best describe or connect with you.

This helps those who read your posts to understand your perspective. It helps with understanding each other. It is an act of giving to others who read your posts. Let's please use it as intended.

Thanks.
4 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
KrisKramer
Affiliation: Raised Conserv. Menn

Re: Affiliation

Post by KrisKramer »

It's a real tiny little field

I have raised conserv menn

But my background with my family is Weaverland conference

But my mother's side of the family was
Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite
Hope Mennonite Fellowship
Charity
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KrisKramer wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:21 am It's a real tiny little field

I have raised conserv menn

But my background with my family is Weaverland conference

But my mother's side of the family was
Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite
Hope Mennonite Fellowship
Charity
What’s your affiliation?

In Anabaptism, how one was raised is not of spiritual importance - rather, what one chooses to believe in and live is.

My parents are Pentecostal / evangelical who don’t attend church, my grandparents were United Church of Christ, my great-great-grandparents were Catholic. None of that is particularly relevant to my own affiliation.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

So my "Banned... almost" isn't well received? Be honest, I'll change it.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 am So my "Banned... almost" isn't well received? Be honest, I'll change it.
Last I checked, no one is talking about banning you for your polls. :mrgreen:
As far as it goes, I find its too difficult to actually express a proper affiliation there... I've mulled adding it to my signature line.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

The affiliation character limit is much to few.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 am The affiliation character limit is much to few.
Agreed - I can’t fit my affiliation in there. (Or does it mean my affiliation’s number characters is too many?)
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Mine just has the name of our congregation, because it is one that has no higher level affiliation. This congregation's background is renegade Beachy Amish-Mennonite, about 16 years before we joined. But theologically I am conservative Mennonite Brethren (not to be confused with any non-Dutch Mennonite group also using the name 'Brethren'). (What I mean by 'conservative MB' is rural conservative MB by 1960's standards. The city MB churches were already quite different, but mostly in practice, probably not so much in doctrine.) The main areas in which I go against that heritage is that I do not hold to a pre-tribulational rapture, and do not think that baptism MUST only be done by immersion. (This latter actually changed in 1964, when the KMB & MB conferences merged.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

We attend the on-line meeitngs of a loose diaspora associated wit Singing Creek with Dan Z. and others in attendance. It's a rather organic fellowship. Our most common link is that we have all been associated at some time with the Bruderhof communities we seven do some singing out of their books.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Currently I would say the Salvation Army as this has been my on-line church for the past few months. I currently do not have a local church that I am attending. This is the closest to what I grew up in as a Pentecostal and I live the worship. Sample from last Sunday. Great message too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGd2AEMssw
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit