Affiliation

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Affiliation

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:00 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:23 pm I guess you just don’t move in ex-Catholic circles then. Because it is exceedingly common and I hear people use the term all the time. People write books about it. For example, here is a Philadelphia Enquirer article about ex-Catholics: https://www.inquirer.com/news/independe ... 90422.html
Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do. I've sometimes found out virtually every person in my workplace was ex-Catholic. None of them wore it like an identity.
Indeed. The only time I see it used as an identity or when articles are written, is because of axe-grinding. They are making a political point, usually homosexuality and homosexual "unions" or abortion; both of which the Catholic Church at large condemns as immoral and abomination. The Philadelphia Enquirer is typical mass media seeking the sensational to sell their news.
RZehr wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm I’m an ex-school boy.
Likewise :laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:17 am
So both of you identify as girls now? :D
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 am
Josh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:00 pm Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do. I've sometimes found out virtually every person in my workplace was ex-Catholic.
None of them wore it like an identity.
Indeed. The only time I see it used as an identity or when articles are written, is because of axe-grinding.

They are making a political point, usually homosexuality and homosexual "unions" or abortion; both of which the Catholic Church at large condemns as immoral and abomination.

Yes, for present day, this is what it’s come to.
Organized political blocs are out to get Catholics over these carnal sin reasons, they’ve been terribly effective across the board. Legally and socially. Catholics are the single biggest target remaining in Christianity (not that they are untouched by division). Present POTUS is one example.

So many are ashamed of their Catholicism (or Christianity) they lie, or deny it. Or face all manner punishment (as Josh often correctly describes).

But for Christians, our ancestral past was Catholicism (or EO, i’m not completely clear on that) - including Martin Luther and Menno Simons. In history, claiming to be ex-Catholic, or being suspected of it, could mean death. It was a hard beginning. There are many Catholics today who continue to hate ML, not many know about MS. From what i understand, even if they knew about MS, they still really blame ML. These men were ex-Catholics. Even tho neither wanted to be. i digress.

When i was young, the Catholic/Protestant divide was still intense.

Odd, tho, how today so many Catholics (and Protestants, and maybe Anabaptists) keep their faith on the down-low because of social pressures. Not so much physical violence/death (but that happens, too). Some years ago, on this forum, there was a member in England who was retired from her work as a child advocate in their court system. She described how being Christian as parents/guardians in their legal system had become a detriment. (i think this was RuthG. not certain.)

No speculation required. The handwriting is on the wall.

o.yeah.
Protestants and Anabaptists didn’t leave the Catholic Church because they rejected “all” of it. No.
They wanted to correct what they understood to be in error, not destroy it. This continues today. To begin, it was not possible without loss of life.

So, naturally, much will remain in common, all that can be agreed that is of Jesus Christ. Which is a lot.
Not all Bibles are identical. But the majority content is the same. No matter how many splits.

So, i agree. Denoms can be left and/or changed. The goal is not leaving Jesus. But even when it is, acknowledged or not, Jesus remains. Jesus can be denied, but He cannot be “left behind.” That effort will not succeed. Not in eternity.

People are really confused today. And, confusion is no accident.

The biggest confusion today is churches leaving Jesus to embrace the secular and even carnal.
This leaves many believers floundering and without.
QUOTES: WILLIAM BOOTH 1829-1916

“The chief danger that confronts the coming century will be
religion without the Holy Ghost,
Christianity without Christ,
forgiveness without repentance,
salvation without regeneration,
politics without God,
heaven without hell.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am
:lol: I cannot speak for RZehr; as for myself the opposite of school boy is retired old man. :lol:

======
temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 am
MaxPC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 am
Josh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:00 pm Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do. I've sometimes found out virtually every person in my workplace was ex-Catholic.
None of them wore it like an identity.
Indeed. The only time I see it used as an identity or when articles are written, is because of axe-grinding.

They are making a political point, usually homosexuality and homosexual "unions" or abortion; both of which the Catholic Church at large condemns as immoral and abomination.

Yes, for present day, this is what it’s come to.
Organized political blocs are out to get Catholics over these carnal sin reasons, they’ve been terribly effective across the board. Legally and socially. Catholics are the single biggest target remaining in Christianity (not that they are untouched by division). Present POTUS is one example.

So many are ashamed of their Catholicism (or Christianity) they lie, or deny it. Or face all manner punishment (as Josh often correctly describes).

But for Christians, our ancestral past was Catholicism (or EO, i’m not completely clear on that) - including Martin Luther and Menno Simons. In history, claiming to be ex-Catholic, or being suspected of it, could mean death. It was a hard beginning. There are many Catholics today who continue to hate ML, not many know about MS. From what i understand, even if they knew about MS, they still really blame ML. These men were ex-Catholics. Even tho neither wanted to be. i digress.

When i was young, the Catholic/Protestant divide was still intense.

Odd, tho, how today so many Catholics (and Protestants, and maybe Anabaptists) keep their faith on the down-low because of social pressures. Not so much physical violence/death (but that happens, too). Some years ago, on this forum, there was a member in England who was retired from her work as a child advocate in their court system. She described how being Christian as parents/guardians in their legal system had become a detriment. (i think this was RuthG. not certain.)

No speculation required. The handwriting is on the wall.

o.yeah.
Protestants and Anabaptists didn’t leave the Catholic Church because they rejected “all” of it. No.
They wanted to correct what they understood to be in error, not destroy it. This continues today. To begin, it was not possible without loss of life.

So, naturally, much will remain in common, all that can be agreed that is of Jesus Christ. Which is a lot.
Not all Bibles are identical. But the majority content is the same. No matter how many splits.

So, i agree. Denoms can be left and/or changed. The goal is not leaving Jesus. But even when it is, acknowledged or not, Jesus remains. Jesus can be denied, but He cannot be “left behind.” That effort will not succeed. Not in eternity.

People are really confused today. And, confusion is no accident.

The biggest confusion today is churches leaving Jesus to embrace the secular and even carnal.
This leaves many believers floundering and without.
QUOTES: WILLIAM BOOTH 1829-1916

“The chief danger that confronts the coming century will be
religion without the Holy Ghost,
Christianity without Christ,
forgiveness without repentance,
salvation without regeneration,
politics without God,
heaven without hell.”
Precisely. Additionally, Philadelphia is known unofficially as the "San Francisco of the East" in regards to pro-homosexual sentiment and citizenry. Of course they will have issues with the Catholic Church. I regard their antipathy as proof the Catholic teaching is correct regarding homosexuality and abortion. The devil hates God's victories.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am
Negative.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 am Even the simple affiliation of Seeker, Protestant, Anabaptist, Catholic or Eastern Orthodox would suffice.

This is not that hard. Not sure why it is so challenging. I still see some slow to better define their ideology.
What are you ashamed of or hiding?

Not intending to ignore. :)

i’m happy to say, for some years i had the wonderful experience of believing i had an affiliation and church. i have not had that for a long while now. my faith hasn’t changed. :) churches have changed. and i’ve learned more. my faith has matured. at least a little. i hope.

there is nothing quite like the sense of having a church home. i guess this is beyond simple “affiliation.”
i might have to create a label (something like george used for years, “Anabaptistcostal)? .. was that it?

i’m sad, not ashamed. i’m not hiding anything about it, i don’t think. i don’t even believe this, the unknown, is uncommon.
some here believe i’m Catholic. i just realized recently, my daughter thinks i’m OO Amish. (may i use “ :lol: ”? ) i did laugh pretty well, but, i think/hope it wasn’t “out loud.” :mrgreen:

i don’t know what i am.
i’m not sure who i am.
often i wonder if i am.
“Are you a Christian?”
“I don’t know. Ask my neighbor.”
UNKNOWN
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:44 am some here believe i’m Catholic. i just realized recently, my daughter thinks i’m OO Amish.
It is to identify where YOU think you are or fit. It does not need to be exact. Just a general idea. This lets readers understand your perspective better.

"Raised Lutheran"
"Conservative Christian"
"Seeking"

Any of these will help others know when you post something, you are not posting from an Anabaptist background or history. This helps you voice be heard more in perspective of the overall forum, especially since you do post a lot.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

(From the wife)

Yes, there are many stories going around about your and your siblings' ex-school days. In fact, my daughter told me she heard about your brother's bicycle slide shenanigans yesterday. We've used your family before as an example to our friends with lots of boys about how even the craziest of boys have hope and might end up ordained someday. ;)
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 pm
(From the wife)

Yes, there are many stories going around about your and your siblings' ex-school days. In fact, my daughter told me she heard about your brother's bicycle slide shenanigans yesterday. We've used your family before as an example to our friends with lots of boys about how even the craziest of boys have hope and might end up ordained someday. ;)
Take those stories and divide by two, subtract half of what’s left and multiply by .1 and round down. That should about do it.

Unless of course it is a good account.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Interesting to think, neither Martin Luther nor Menno Simons wanted a denom or group named after them.
Which affiliation would they choose, if they were members here?

The labels, “Christians,” “Lutherans,” “Mennonites,” all began as awful slurs that could mean death.
0 x

UNKNOWN