Affiliation

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Affiliation

Post by Robert »

I pushed the field size to 24 characters. I hope this does not overfill the line. See if that helps.

Again, it does not have to be super specific. A general description is okay. Just something to help others better understand your posts. If someone posts something that is clearly not an Anabaptist belief and they have Eastern Orthodox or something like that as a affiliation, it helps others understand that it is coming from a differing faith background.

Conservative Mennonite is fine also. This gives a general understanding of your ideology and ways you see your faith expressing through your posts.

Catholic Persecutor is okay too. It lets us know you come as an Anabaptist Catcher so we can help you when you fall through the ice. :wave: (Yes, that is a joke targeting MaxPC) ;)
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Robert wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm I pushed the field size to 24 characters. I hope this does not overfill the line. See if that helps.

Again, it does not have to be super specific. A general description is okay. Just something to help others better understand your posts. If someone posts something that is clearly not an Anabaptist belief and they have Eastern Orthodox or something like that as a affiliation, it helps others understand that it is coming from a differing faith background.

Conservative Mennonite is fine also. This gives a general understanding of your ideology and ways you see your faith expressing through your posts.

Catholic Persecutor is okay too. It lets us know you come as an Anabaptist Catcher so we can help you when you fall through the ice. :wave: (Yes, that is a joke targeting MaxPC) ;)
Is that what the PC part stands for? Persecuting Catholic?
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm
Robert wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm I pushed the field size to 24 characters. I hope this does not overfill the line. See if that helps.

:lol: Persecuted Catholic more like.:lol:
I changed mine to something a bit more descriptive since there are 24 "flavors" of Catholic Churches (who are in communion with each other by the by); they are divided into 6 Rites. As with anything with the label "Catholic", it can be complicated. :lol:
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:23 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm

:lol: Persecuted Catholic more like.:lol:
I changed mine to something a bit more descriptive since there are 24 "flavors" of Catholic Churches (who are in communion with each other by the by); they are divided into 6 Rites. As with anything with the label "Catholic", it can be complicated. :lol:
Yea you did get the hot seat for a while, didn't you? :)
1 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

This is a good change, Robert. And I appreciate the way you've called attention to the affiliation issue. Thank you.

And just a suggestion for those who want to share more and/or other information—the signature line is a good place for that.
1 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Weaverland Conference, Lancaster conference, and Keystone Conference, all in my background.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm I pushed the field size to 24 characters.
I could only get 21 characters, not enough to make any meaningful change, so I added a "by-line" as someone else suggested.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:01 pm
Robert wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm I pushed the field size to 24 characters.
I could only get 21 characters, not enough to make any meaningful change, so I added a "by-line" as someone else suggested.
Are there any churches left that would be "conservative Mennonite Brethren"?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:12 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:01 pm
Are there any churches left that would be "conservative Mennonite Brethren"?
I don't know, but it is questionable. Possibly in some small town some place. My impression is that my brother's congregation was until around 5 years ago. (At that time they still held strong to non-resistance, but probably not any longer. From what my brother has told me, they moved away from MB distinctives "in order to survive in their community", the OKC area.) I defined what I mean in some post somewhere, qualifying it as 'conservative' in the sense as it was in the 1960's. Theologically speaking, the changes started gaining ground around 30 years ago. I remember it because we were home on furlough in 1991, and I wrote a letter to the editor of the Christian Leader, the US MB conference periodical. The issue was women in leadership roles. A woman from my own home congregation (I was still an MB member at that time) sent in a reply, and completely misconstrued what I had written. I did not respond further, but the month after that someone commented how I had been blown out of the water by this other letter. People do not carefully read what someone else has written before responding, it seems. I remember that the editors had titled my letter as standing for "tradition", a word I never used in my letter, appealing only to Scripture. I know because I told my dad that they had used it as something of a slur against me, and he said "No, tradition is good." (It is true, however, there had been a liberal voice in the Christian Leader for a long time then already, the editorial column of Katie Funk Wiebe.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

PeterG wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm
And just a suggestion for those who want to share more and/or other information—the signature line is a good place for that.
That's not a bad idea. For me personally, we're in between affiliations as a congregation. We are officially disbanded from the COB but are aligning ourselves with another Brethren conference. Truth be told, I'm not sure if that is 100% just yet.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!