MennoNet Politics Sabbatical

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: MennoNet Politics Sabbatical (beginning 1/8/21)

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Ken wrote:No one's minds are ever changed here
And you accuse others of living in a black and white world? :)
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3453
Touche!

I expect you have an example ready at your finger tips to prove me wrong? :D
Several of them in that thread, not to mention 14 people ready to testify (unless someone changes their vote, which they can truthfully only do from No to Yes).
Ken wrote:I knew nothing about Holdmans, for example, before coming here.
Next up: Changing your mind about the spelling of "Holdeman."
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

I don' think that affiliations will change by such debates. But doggedly affiliations are more like doggedly friendships, and why should they change?
On the other hand I think that standpoints are really modified by such debates.We learn to see that our standpoint had some hidden "presuppositions" or "implications". Like we say something but imply a qualification of our words which we didn't see and express beforehand. Or we see a hidden principle which leads our reasoning and which only now we try to express.
But these presupposed qualifications and principles will stay in our mind now and have an influence on our farther cognitive development. Say not the struggle not availeth ...
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

PetrChelcicky wrote:I don' think that affiliations will change by such debates. But doggedly affiliations are more like doggedly friendships, and why should they change?

On the other hand I think that standpoints are really modified by such debates.

:arrow: We learn to see that our standpoint had some hidden "presuppositions" or "implications".
:arrow: Like we say something but imply a qualification of our words which we didn't see and express beforehand. Or we see a hidden principle which leads our reasoning and which only now we try to express.
But these presupposed qualifications and principles will stay in our mind now and have an influence on our farther cognitive development.

:arrow: Say not the struggle not availeth ...

PetrC, this resonates! :D
This morning i’m thinking of a new thread, really asking for help with writing skills. :?
i’m having trouble.
(i hope it’s ok? - i now plan to use this post as part of the beginning.)

“Writing skills:” ..
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 56#p113256

the poem! i found it and plan to study it. lovely. 8-)
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... t-availeth

what a great way to begin a new day. thank you for being you. :wave:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

If this is the focus of the sabbatical, I think it will be time well-spent.
ohio jones wrote:You should be safe as long as you focus on

Lessons for the Church from the DC Riots

rather than

Lessons for the Church from the DC Riots
In 40 days, the world will have sorted out what happened in the DC riots. People will have been identified and charged with crimes, the back story on how this was all organized will be clearer, they may or may not find appropriate and effective responses, I pray that they do.

But it's more important for us to sort out the church, our allegiances, our world view, our walk with Jesus together.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:In 40 days, the world will have sorted out what happened in the DC riots.
Our discussions and plan to do this predated the DC events. Correlation does not mean causation.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I respect the decision. But it would be nice to have more notice. I saw Ernie responded to something I had written in his poll and I'd like to know what it was but I cant go see it.

Any reason you can't make that division view only?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:I respect the decision. But it would be nice to have more notice. I saw Ernie responded to something I had written in his poll and I'd like to know what it was but I cant go see it.

You could send him a PM, or pick up the phone and call him, or email, and discuss further amongst yourselves.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:I respect the decision. But it would be nice to have more notice. I saw Ernie responded to something I had written in his poll and I'd like to know what it was but I cant go see it.

You could send him a PM, or pick up the phone and call him, or email, and discuss further amongst yourselves.
True.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

joshuabgood wrote: Any reason you can't make that division view only?
I would have to to to each thread to lock them or I could archive the entire section. I chose the easy way. Also "Out of sight, out of mind."
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Reminds me of the other Mennonite forum where I was a member (not MennoDiscuss). It was first set as read-only, for some months, then one day it just disappeared altogether. Later I wished I had gone back & copied some of the stuff I'd written there, and in some cases, whole discussions. Recently I found a Word document for response I made to another member (I often worked in MS Word to get my grammar & spelling right, and to let something cool off, or me, rather, before posting it) who had just said something like "if you thought of that yourself you're a genius". Sometimes, when I'm feeling really stupid, I'd like to know if it really WAS something I'd thought out myself, and what in the world it was about. ;)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.