MennoNet Politics Sabbatical

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

MennoNet Politics Sabbatical

Post by Dan Z »

MennoNet, as a discussion forum, exists as a place of engagement, enlightenment, education, and edification for Anabaptist and Anabaptist-interested folks.

Recently, board owner
Robert, has become increasingly concerned that the Politics forum of MennoNet has become a dominant place of partisan rancor, often a source of "heat rather than light," ultimately throwing the whole board out of balance and detracting from the mission of the site. After consulting with some of the other Moderators, it was decided that the Politics forum will be archived for approx. 40 days (beginning 1/8) as type of "Politics Sabbatical," with the hope of giving us all a break and allowing attitudes and relationships to reset within MennoNet.

We ask that during this period MennoNet members refrain from launching any topics that are overtly political in nature. Politics may enter secondarily into other discussions (e.g. Faith or Current Events) but the moderators reserve the right to lock any topic that becomes overtly political in nature.

Our hope is that this is a positive step for the board community, and we ask that you each take it as an opportunity to reset your own relationships and attitudes toward your brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderator Team

An additional statement from Robert can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3471#p113047
2 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: MennoNet Politics Sabbatical (beginning 1/8)

Post by Wade »

40 days... How about we try at least 40 years. :mrgreen:
2 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:40 days... How about we try at least 40 years. :mrgreen:
At the very least 40 months? :lol: :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote:
God cleansed the world in 40 days, but suggesting we can do the same in 40 days is quite egotistical, isn't it?

After 40 years in the desert, the Israelites still could not pull it together. What hope do we have for people to show kindness over politics? I fear we are doomed! Oh, wait! We do still have climate change and Corona! We may make it through.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Robert wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
God cleansed the world in 40 days, but suggesting we can do the same in 40 days is quite egotistical, isn't it?

After 40 years in the desert, the Israelites still could not pull it together. What hope do we have for people to show kindness over politics? I fear we are doomed! Oh, wait! We do still have climate change and Corona! We may make it through.
If not maybe 400 years of slavery?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: MennoNet Politics Sabbatical (beginning 1/8/21)

Post by Ken »

I'm fine with it. No one's minds are ever changed here and there are plenty of other forums out there for political discussion. Thousands of them. I admit I get sucked into political discussions here. But in retrospect it's mostly just back and forth between the same few people with never any meeting of the minds.

Of course every other topic can and does take a political tinge. From child abuse to nonresistance. So politics is not going to be avoided. But I expect overtly political forums are not really necessary.

I would encourage the forum owners to allow for discussions of the role of political involvement by the church. By churches themselves and individual members. I suspect that one consequence of the aftermath of this election will be a complete re-examination of the role of Christians in American politics. If those topics can't be discussed here, where can they be discussed?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Ken wrote:I would encourage the forum owners to allow for discussions of the role of political involvement by the church. By churches themselves and individual members. I suspect that one consequence of the aftermath of this election will be a complete re-examination of the role of Christians in American politics. If those topics can't be discussed here, where can they be discussed?
I think discussing the relationship of Christians/Churches and Politics are quite important...there are already a number of threads related to this in the Anabaptist and General Theology threads. Feel free to jump in or start one! :)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I never got even a tiny bit worked up about anything in the politics thread - at least to the best of my memory. But I did participate, and I suppose I may have contributed something that may have been received as an irritant.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote:No one's minds are ever changed here
And you accuse others of living in a black and white world? :)
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3453
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote:
Ken wrote:No one's minds are ever changed here
And you accuse others of living in a black and white world? :)
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3453
Touche!

I expect you have an example ready at your finger tips to prove me wrong? :D
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr