MennoNet Politics Sabbatical

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: MennoNet Politics Sabbatical (beginning 1/8/21)

Post by temporal1 »

.. prayers for admin and mods.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

RZehr wrote:I never got even a tiny bit worked up about anything in the politics thread - at least to the best of my memory. But I did participate, and I suppose I may have contributed something that may have been received as an irritant.
While we disagree on some things, one thing I admire about you is your commitment to not getting involved in political discussions.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Aurien wrote:
RZehr wrote:I never got even a tiny bit worked up about anything in the politics thread - at least to the best of my memory. But I did participate, and I suppose I may have contributed something that may have been received as an irritant.
While we disagree on some things, one thing I admire about you is your commitment to not getting involved in political discussions.
I beg your pardon? Is this tongue in cheek? I felt I was very active in that topic. Sort of felt like I was too active in it. But if you’re serious, thank you for your kind words. I will assume you are serious.
I’m just surprised - and relieved- to receive positive feedback on my participation from someone. If anything, I’d had expected a slap on the wrist from someone, telling me to cut back.
0 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

RZehr wrote:
Aurien wrote:
I beg your pardon? Is this tongue in cheek? I felt I was very active in that topic. Sort of felt like I was too active in it. But if you’re serious, thank you for your kind words. I will assume you are serious.
I’m just surprised - and relieved- to receive positive feedback on my participation from someone. If anything, I’d had expected a slap on the wrist from someone, telling me to cut back.
I was being serious. Granted I haven't wandered around the politics forum for awhile. Maybe you changed. :D When I did wander through there I seem to remember that you kept much more to the traditional Mennonite stance of not getting overly involved in political matters or at the very least didn't get overly heated when discussing them. That's a rare trait to find these days.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Bootstrap wrote:If this is the focus of the sabbatical, I think it will be time well-spent.
ohio jones wrote:You should be safe as long as you focus on

Lessons for the Church from the DC Riots

rather than

Lessons for the Church from the DC Riots
In 40 days, the world will have sorted out what happened in the DC riots. People will have been identified and charged with crimes, the back story on how this was all organized will be clearer, they may or may not find appropriate and effective responses, I pray that they do.

But it's more important for us to sort out the church, our allegiances, our world view, our walk with Jesus together.
I wonder if we need more concrete guidance for how to approach this time. I'm genuinely confused about what is appropriate and what is not.

Could we have more concrete guidelines?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:Could we have more concrete guidelines?
The best advice I can give is to drive in the right hand lane, not right up against the barrier.

Maybe the lesson to be learned from Politics is that we don't learn from Politics.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Could we have more concrete guidelines?
The best advice I can give is to drive in the right hand lane, not right up against the barrier.

Maybe the lesson to be learned from Politics is that we don't learn from Politics.
Are you suggesting that those on the right are in a better place than those on the left? ;) :)
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Right.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I for one am enjoying the increased activity aside from politics. Although we still seem to drift back into old topics that have been banged around over and over again, at least to me they seem more focused on how we best follow the NT scriptures. We will still have our differences but I am already gaining a better appreciation for how others understand certain topics.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:Maybe the lesson to be learned from Politics is that we don't learn from Politics.
I see little evidence that we have learned much from politics on MN, at any rate.
Sudsy wrote:I for one am enjoying the increased activity aside from politics. Although we still seem to drift back into old topics that have been banged around over and over again, at least to me they seem more focused on how we best follow the NT scriptures. We will still have our differences but I am already gaining a better appreciation for how others understand certain topics.
These are the areas where we have more unity. And more in line with the reasons people at least claim to be here. Is bringing politics back after 40 days necessary?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?