Politics Section

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Politics Section

Post by Robert »

All threads in the Politics section has been archived and the section has been removed for an approximate 40 day sabbatical.

It seems mostly political talking points from both sides are presented and very little that connects it to Anabaptist theology. The Mods will be monitoring other sections to make sure that politics is just not carried over to those sections also.

The hope is that it will give everyone a pause and a chance to discuss other issues and topics more from a theological place instead of just spouting party lines.

After the 40 day break, the moderators will discuss it again to see if we feel it should be brought back or if we need more time away.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Re: Politics Section

Post by Robert »

I am also going to restrict any links from CNN or MSNBC during this time. Both have been shown to be politically based and not balanced.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Some seem to be having trouble not dragging in strong political tones in their discussions. We will start using the warning system. After 3 warnings, that person will be blocked from the forum for 3 days.

I know it may seem rather strict and hard, but many are really trying to respect the guidelines. Others are pushing the boundaries, either intentionally or accidentally, but the result is the same. It makes someone else respond in defense and press the same boundaries or not be able to voice their perspective out of respect of the new guidelines. That is unfair and we need to work harder and do better.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Tomorrow will be 40 days. Our plan is to return the Politics section as a whole, if I can remember what I did to remove it and undo that to bring it back. 40 days is a long time for me to remember.

A few new guidelines.

Politics is for discussion, that means a back and forth, not a place to post political talking points or not respond to questions or challenges.

"I" statements are strongly encouraged. Strong use of "you" statements may get you a warning. Speak for yourself, not for others. Speak to others, not about others.

It is OKAY TO DISAGREE. We MUST do it in a Christlike way. We have no Moneychangers here, so no need to overturn tables.

For every post in Politics, find another section to post in to help us all keep balance in our relationships with each other.

Mods will use the warning system. Each warning will age out after 30 days. If we don't get it cleared, let us know. It can be easy to miss since it may have to be done manually.

Anyone with 3 warnings will get a 3 day "break" from the forum. Once returned, if one gets 3 more, they will be removed from the forum completely. Bad jokes will not get warnings, or I would be gone in a few days.

It has been a nice break, but I look forward to being able to discuss things more fully. The US is quite divided and polarized. Let's be different and work to hear each other and find connections.

If things get too destructive, the Mods reserve the right to do another 40 day sabbatical from Politics.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

As a reminder, if you have enjoyed this sabbatical and would like to make it permanent (for yourself, at least; not for everyone), you may wish to join the "No Politics" usergroup. Instructions for doing so are here.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Politics should be returned to normal functioning, hopefully. If you are part of the "No Politics" group and can see it, or part if the normal groups and can not see it, please let me know.
0 x