Welcome to MennoNet

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Welcome to MennoNet

Post by Robert »

We welcome you to MennoNet(MN). It was created after a fatal crash of MennoDiscuss.com(MD).

You can get here by using MennoNet.com or forum.MennoNet.com. In the future I may be building a full website at MennoNet.com to include many of the added links and resources. Right now, it just redirects here. If you don't understand anything I just posted, don't worry. Just use forum.MennoNet.com unless you are really lazy and just want to use MennoNet.com. If I build the main website, it will have a link to here anyway. So did I clear that all up for you? ;) By the way, capitalization doesn't matter in the address, I just capitalize to make it easier to read.

For those who are new to MN, relax, and just be yourself. Our request is that you treat each other with kindness and respect.

See you in the forums.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Re: Welcome to MennoNet

Post by Robert »

A few tips for using the site:

Many of us work from the "Active Topics" feature. This will give you a list of the most recent posts each time you access it. They are listed in descending order so you can follow the most recent posts of others. To access it, click the Quick Links icon at the upper left of any page.

You will see a drop down menu. Click the "Active Topics" link from this list. This will refresh the page and show you the list of recent posts on the forum. There are also other links there to assist you as needed.

If you are using a computer with a web browser, once the Active Topics page displays, you can create a bookmark, or favorites and start the forum at that location if you so choose. If you are using a cell phone to access the site, you can still access the Active Topics link, and then sort out how your phone browser allows you to save pages and links. Each is a little different. If you are not sure, feel free to post in the TechTalk section and ask for help or guidance. I suspect there will be someone who is using your phone or system that could lend a hand. Most are very friendly and helpful here. We are a community and do not mind helping each other.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

On the other side of the header, you will find links to Notifications, Private messages, and another drop down menu of links.

This will give you access to your User Control Panel where you can add a small avatar picture, edit your "Signature" which will be automatically placed at the bottom of every post you make.

For those using cell phones or smaller screens it will look more like this:

Now you can post a silly or serious avatar and act like an old pro at this. The avatar picture size needs to be quite small. If you have a picture and it is rejected because of size there are sites on the internet that will shrink it for you. You can also contact me and I would be happy to downsize it for you. Click the Contact icon under my, or any member you want to contact and click the Private Message(PM) Icon.

This will start a new page with the context of the post you clicked the contact button in and add the person you want to contact into the "To:" line. Just add what you want to say then hit submit. It will sit in your outbox until the recipient reads it. This will tell you that they actually opened the PM. On smaller screens, this feature is not as easily accessible, but you can click the poster's name at the top and view their profile and find a link to PM them.

Again, do not be shy to ask if you need help figuring things out and/or making things work. We a small group and help each other often. It is the core reason for the site, to build community. So, welcome the our little corner.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Guidelines for reporting offensive posts.

1. If the post offends you theologically, ignore and more on.
2. If the post has abusive, profane, or insulting words, click the ! icon in the upper right of the specific offending post.

This will notify the Moderators, those that have bold names, of the exact post and allow us to read it in context to evaluate.

There will be times we will need to discuss among the moderator team how to handle the issue. This could take several days depending on when the moderators visit and enter into a mod only discussion.

There are times that any moderator can take immediate action if they feel they are clear in what needs to happen.

Sometimes we will reply to the one posting the report. Other times we will close the report, do nothing and not respond.

Again, this is not for reporting a post that you disagree with theologically, ideologically or dislike the tone.

It can also be used to request posts moved, threads moved, or other maintenance wanted in a thread. The rule of thumb is the one who started the thread or Original Poster (OP) can request maintenance in the thread they started to help keep it on topic or something edited after the edit window has closed.
0 x