Introductions

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Introductions

Post by Robert »

Fidelio wrote:I am new here and was going to start a new topic to introduce myself, but the NEW TOPIC button does not show for me. I am wondering if there is a rule that I have to have a minimum of say 10 posts before it will let me start a new topic? Image
Nope. You have to navigate to the forum or subforum you want to post it in then you will see a New Thread Button.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Fidelio wrote:I am new here and was going to start a new topic to introduce myself, but the NEW TOPIC button does not show for me. I am wondering if there is a rule that I have to have a minimum of say 10 posts before it will let me start a new topic? Image
Why not just introduce yourself here in the introductions thread? That is what it's for, then jump off into some other subjects as you desire.
Welcome!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Hmmm, interesting. I see the NEW TOPIC button in all forums but not in the "Announcements and Introductions" forum. So I guess I can intro myself here.

I grew up outside the Church, so basically a heathen. My mother took me to Sunday school some as a small child and I recall getting a Bible at the end of Sunday school, but don't remember anything else, not even what kind of church it was, but I think she maybe liked Methodist. But the reason we went to church so little (occasionally on Christmas or Easter) I believe is because my dad was not into it and told her to go to the Unity Church. My dad also was into astrology. As kids I remember playing with an Ouija board, which I now realize was a terrible thing to do. One good thing that happened is that I felt that I should read that Bible the church gave me and attempted to do so several times but quit partway in to Genesis. However, that was enough as you will see below.

So fast forward past rebellious, drug and alcohol infested teen years to the 1980s. At some point in the early 1980s I actually picked up a New Testament and read it, but my main pursuit was Native American religion. I had partly cleaned up my act and was in college to "make something of my self." A friend at school was praying for me, and to make a long story short, I heard the gospel for the first time in a way that it clicked and I was born again. Being on a secular college campus steeped in evolution (and myself never questioning it), when I was born again, I instantly realized that evolution is a lie. I think this is a huge plus of having read the first chapters of Genesis so many years ago.

So I was conservative Lutheran since 1984. But I have been on a journey the past year or so that has landed me smack in the middle of the Anabaptists. I have attended a couple of conservative Amish/Mennonite churches on vacation and liked it a lot. Early this year my wife and I discovered a church near home that is much like the conservative Mennonites and we have been attending regularly since March. It is the Apostolic Christian Church of America (http://www.apostolicchristian.org/). While having "apostolic" in a church name often brings up images of speaking in tongues or the idea of apostolic succession, the ACCA has neither of those features. Rather it is "Apostolic Christian" because they follow the teachings of Christ and the Apostles. They got their start in the early 1800s and right away picked up a lot of Mennonite teachings. They are much like conservative Mennonites from what I can see.

I now realize that Lutheranism has a LOT of baggage carried over from the Catholic church and that Luther's reformation went astray when Frederick the Wise took Luther in to Wartburg Castle for protection. Luther then was no longer free to pursue the pure teachings of the Bible, but had to please Frederick. As church and state were one in those days, a lot of politics came into play. Luther also wanted to rejoin with the Catholics and I look at Lutherans now as "Reformed Catholics." I no longer consider myself Lutheran. The reasons are many, including false doctrines (Universal Objective Justification being the major one) and failure to encourage holy living (they seem to despise those who strive for holy living, referring to them as pietistic--what's wrong with being pietistic?). I am very happy and at home with the conservative Mennonites and this ACCA church. I am not officially a member, but a "friend" and we are going regularly since March.

So I am looking forward to a great experience here, sharing and learning with like-minded Christians.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Glad to have you join this forum.

I had supper with a man last week from the Apostolic Nazarene church. He is now attending an Apostolic Faith church. Have you been in the Apostolic world long enough to know the differences?

Ernie
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Ernie wrote:Glad to have you join this forum.

I had supper with a man last week from the Apostolic Nazarene church. He is now attending an Apostolic Faith church. Have you been in the Apostolic world long enough to know the differences?

Ernie
I have not heard of the Apostolic Faith Church, but if this is it (http://apostolicfaith.org/our-faith) then they are different.

I have not been in the Apostolic world long but have done a lot of reading, including a volume on the history of the ACCA Church, where I learned that the Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarene) formed from a split in the early 1900s (primarily 1906-1907) over some cultural differences that came to a head. I think the two ACCA and ACCN are fairly similar with the ACCN being somewhat more conservative. Here is a chart that shows the various Anabaptist groups including ACCA and ACCN:
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
fritzmb
Affiliation: ACCA

Post by fritzmb »

Fidelio wrote:
Ernie wrote:Glad to have you join this forum.

Ernie
I have not heard of the Apostolic Faith Church, but if this is it (http://apostolicfaith.org/our-faith) then they are different.
I'm not a historical expert, but here is my take. Yes, the Apostolic Christian Church Nazarean (or Nazarene) (ACCN) and the Apostolic Christian Church of America (ACCA) split in the early 1900's, and as Fidelio says, it was at least partly due to cultural issues. The issue typically mentioned is the wearing of moustaches. The ACCA, with its mostly Swiss/German background and many former Mennonites and Amish, disapproved of moustaches, while the ACCN, which includes many with Eastern European backgrounds, did not have a problem with moustaches. The ACCN maintained more official ties to the European churches, but the ACCA, being the larger of the two, has maintained unofficial ties with Europe and supports them with humanitarian aid, and has developed closer spiritual ties over the years. The ACCN has two "conferences" one I would say is more liberal than the ACCA and the other is possibly slightly more conservative. The Apostolic Christian Faith (ACF), is a recent conservative split (started in 2012) from the ACCA, which took about 10% of the ACCA membership. I know there are at least a few ACCN who have moved to the ACF, but I don't think very many.
0 x
SJS
Affiliation: BMA

Post by SJS »

I guess I should introduce myself, even though I have posted a few times on this board already. I grew up in Lancaster Co. PA, and currently live in central Virginia, with my husband and six children. I grew up in LMC and then a Keystone church until I was 19. I am currently part of a BMA church.

I have enjoyed this board so far, I have always liked to think through the many things that us Mennonites do, and understand why we do them. I like how a lot of y'all on here dig deep into different issues. I also enjoy the humor that is inserted here and there :lol:
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

SJS wrote:I guess I should introduce myself, even though I have posted a few times on this board already. I grew up in Lancaster Co. PA, and currently live in central Virginia, with my husband and six children. I grew up in LMC and then a Keystone church until I was 19. I am currently part of a BMA church.

I have enjoyed this board so far, I have always liked to think through the many things that us Mennonites do, and understand why we do them. I like how a lot of y'all on here dig deep into different issues. I also enjoy the humor that is inserted here and there :lol:
Welcome.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

SJS wrote:I guess I should introduce myself, even though I have posted a few times on this board already. I grew up in Lancaster Co. PA, and currently live in central Virginia, with my husband and six children. I grew up in LMC and then a Keystone church until I was 19. I am currently part of a BMA church.

I enjoy the humour more than some of the other.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:

I enjoy the humour more than some of the other.
"Some of the other..." people, posts, perspectives, opinions??? :shock: :shock:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth