Introductions

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Re: Introductions

Post by puttincomputers »

gcdonner wrote:
puttincomputers wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Welcome back puttin... I see you have been listening to Bart Erhmann.
Some, though I don't completely agree with him.
Nor would I on many things. He did say something that kept me from denying the "faith" and brought to my mind a very important scripture:
"He that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM." Heb 11:6
I see from your post that you have believed some of the very blatant lies that he and others like him enjoy telling. For him, a former evangelical, this "enlightenment" is taken to extremes. The one thing that I do appreciate about him is that he does not intentionally denigrate those who do have faith. Unfortunately, many of the facts that he and other like him use, are suppositions based on rationality, and not always on real hard facts. The modern term for some of it is "fake news".
The idea that first century Jews were by and large illiterate is not factual and flies in the face of documented evidence to the contrary, in fact the vast majority of Jewish boys were required to attend school. They may not all have been proficient readers and writers, but they were by no means ignorant in the modern sense of the term.
Welcome back!
Just an fYI, my program is big on discerning and exposing "fake news," no matter where it comes from. Ironically, it usually, not always, comes from the conservative right wing.

As to whether or not the young men were literate or not, it really doesn't matter. I am far more concerned with the fact that women were not allowed to study at the foot of a Rabbi in the Jewish tradition at the time. This is why the story of Mary and Martha is so remarkable. As are the many other stories of the first people who told the Good News of Christ. There were so many women who got to do things first. Examples include, the woman at the well, the married women who followed Jesus around and supported his ministry financially instead of being keepers at home, and the women who went to the tomb. And there are many others.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

puttincomputers wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
puttincomputers wrote:
Some, though I don't completely agree with him.
Nor would I on many things. He did say something that kept me from denying the "faith" and brought to my mind a very important scripture:
"He that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM." Heb 11:6
I see from your post that you have believed some of the very blatant lies that he and others like him enjoy telling. For him, a former evangelical, this "enlightenment" is taken to extremes. The one thing that I do appreciate about him is that he does not intentionally denigrate those who do have faith. Unfortunately, many of the facts that he and other like him use, are suppositions based on rationality, and not always on real hard facts. The modern term for some of it is "fake news".
The idea that first century Jews were by and large illiterate is not factual and flies in the face of documented evidence to the contrary, in fact the vast majority of Jewish boys were required to attend school. They may not all have been proficient readers and writers, but they were by no means ignorant in the modern sense of the term.
Welcome back!
Just an fYI, my program is big on discerning and exposing "fake news," no matter where it comes from. Ironically, it usually, not always, comes from the conservative right wing.

As to whether or not the young men were literate or not, it really doesn't matter. I am far more concerned with the fact that women were not allowed to study at the foot of a Rabbi in the Jewish tradition at the time. This is why the story of Mary and Martha is so remarkable. As are the many other stories of the first people who told the Good News of Christ. There were so many women who got to do things first. Examples include, the woman at the well, the married women who followed Jesus around and supported his ministry financially instead of being keepers at home, and the women who went to the tomb. And there are many others.
Gal 3:28  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 
The argument for illiteracy tries to point out that the traditions put forth by the early church are not accurate, since they couldn't have been recorded by the early Christians until of course the Gentiles became part of the church and they were much more highly educated.
If you get into prophecy, there certainly is a lot more "fake news" on the right...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i almost fell over in “Welcome to MennoNet” just now.
Page 30
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=290
TruthSeeker:
I want to learn from the interactive dialogues what perspectives are held by persons on this site.
Will likely be a silent observer.
Welcome to MennoNet - :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:i almost fell over in “Welcome to MennoNet” just now.
Page 30
TruthSeeker:
I want to learn from the interactive dialogues what perspectives are held by persons on this site.
I miss dearly the original "TruthSeeker" from MennoDiscuss. RIP
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i almost fell over in “Welcome to MennoNet” just now.
Page 30
TruthSeeker:
I miss dearly the original "TruthSeeker" from MennoDiscuss. RIP
great username.
0 x

UNKNOWN
TruthSeeker
Affiliation: Mystic

Post by TruthSeeker »

Thank You!
0 x
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Post by puttincomputers »

TruthSeeker wrote:Thank You!
Hey, a mystic! :) :wave:
0 x
TruthSeeker
Affiliation: Mystic

Post by TruthSeeker »

Hi. The Liturgists Podcast appears chock full of goodness. Am familiar with many of the "voices." Thanks for the referral!
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart! - :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

I am new here and was going to start a new topic to introduce myself, but the NEW TOPIC button does not show for me. I am wondering if there is a rule that I have to have a minimum of say 10 posts before it will let me start a new topic? Image
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.