Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Introductions

Post by temporal1 »

happymom4

Re: Welcome to MennoNet
by happymom4 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello, an old timer from MD. I have returned after a long hiatus.
well. look what the cat dragged in! :D :mrgreen:

and, higherreach! :D

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
UpperMidWest1
Affiliation:

Post by UpperMidWest1 »

Hi everyone - I recently signed up for the forum and just thought I would say a quick hello. As you probably guessed from my username, I’m in the Upper Midwest - Minnesota to be more specific. My family and I haven’t been regular church goers and I guess you would say that I’ve been a bit of a religious seeker / explorer off-and-on for a long time - actually, several years ago, I had an account on MennoDiscuss, although I mostly read threads and didn’t post a lot.

My wife and I have lately been discussing our family going to / getting involved in a church. Not sure where we’ll land denomination wise though. Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of the forum and look forward to future discussion!
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

UpperMidWest1 wrote:Hi everyone - I recently signed up for the forum and just thought I would say a quick hello. As you probably guessed from my username, I’m in the Upper Midwest - Minnesota to be more specific. My family and I haven’t been regular church goers and I guess you would say that I’ve been a bit of a religious seeker / explorer off-and-on for a long time - actually, several years ago, I had an account on MennoDiscuss, although I mostly read threads and didn’t post a lot.

My wife and I have lately been discussing our family going to / getting involved in a church. Not sure where we’ll land denomination wise though. Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of the forum and look forward to future discussion!
Welcome! I just moved from Minnesota to Tennessee. Wish we could have made the connection earlier for some possible fellowship. Whereabouts in MN do you live? I lived in Dodge Center, about 20 miles from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
UpperMidWest1
Affiliation:

Post by UpperMidWest1 »

gcdonner wrote:
UpperMidWest1 wrote:Hi everyone - I recently signed up for the forum and just thought I would say a quick hello. As you probably guessed from my username, I’m in the Upper Midwest - Minnesota to be more specific. My family and I haven’t been regular church goers and I guess you would say that I’ve been a bit of a religious seeker / explorer off-and-on for a long time - actually, several years ago, I had an account on MennoDiscuss, although I mostly read threads and didn’t post a lot.

Welcome! I just moved from Minnesota to Tennessee. Wish we could have made the connection earlier for some possible fellowship. Whereabouts in MN do you live? I lived in Dodge Center, about 20 miles from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
Thanks for the welcome! We're in the Twin Cities area - we've been here for a few years now and overall like Minnesota...even with the cold winters!
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

UpperMidWest1 wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

Thanks for the welcome! We're in the Twin Cities area - we've been here for a few years now and overall like Minnesota...even with the cold winters!
We liked the area and have family there, but moved because of the cold winters. -30° was getting to be too much for our old bones.
BTW, there was another member of the previous MennoDiscuss who was from the cities area whom I got to meet and fellowship with. Unfortunately all my contact information is still in boxes somewhere...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Welcome to MennoNet, Sarabpeters!

Feel free to tell us more about yourself if you are comfortable doing so. Or you can PM members you trust.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Post by puttincomputers »

Many of you have no idea of who I am, so I shall share just that. I am a former uber-conservative Mennonite and former uber-conservative non-voting right-wing republican. I used to be VERY active on Mennodiscuss.

I am studying for a Dual Masters in Archives Science and Library Science at the University of British Columbia. I also attended Liberty University (thinking it was a liberal school at first) and graduated with an interdisciplinary Bachelors degree in History and Business. While I attended that school, I worked in the Archives and discovered the true racist and otherwise evil foundation of the modern Republican party (DOWN WITH FALWELL).

A number of years ago several things happened that caused me to begin examining my theology to see if it actually matched scripture. I found it did not. However, I went much further than just reading the English words. I also delved into the Greek words for a deeper understanding. The result? Well, I soon discovered many issues with not just my own Theology by the numerous issues within the Bible itself. I discovered despicable things supposedly mandated by God to the Jews (such as s.x slavery of little girls). I also found slavery was still allowed in the New Testament. I wondered how these things could be. I grew to realize that most of scripture is the interpretation of what God told the Jews and early Christians mixed with a lot of myths (many of which originated in other cultures) that had no bearing in reality. (That's the short version).

If it were not for my undeniable spiritual experiences within the context of Christianity, I would likely be an atheist. However, those spiritual experiences proved to me that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are definitely real and that they operate in the world today to help us traverse through our strange world.

Note, I am whole-life. Essentially, I believe in consistent pro-life values from implantation to death. I consider unregulated capitalism to be an anti-life selfish ungodly pox upon humanity. I reject ATHEIST Ayn Rand's assertion that selfishness is the highest moral value that a human can attain. I believe the "love of money" has corrupted Christianity and blinded people to the what Christ taught about looking out for the poor and meeting their needs instead of building wealth.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

puttincomputers wrote:Many of you have no idea of who I am, so I shall share just that. I am a former uber-conservative Mennonite and former uber-conservative non-voting right-wing republican. I used to be VERY active on Mennodiscuss....
Welcome back puttin... I see you have been listening to Bart Erhmann.
0 x
puttincomputers
Affiliation: Red-Letter Anabap

Post by puttincomputers »

gcdonner wrote:
puttincomputers wrote:Many of you have no idea of who I am, so I shall share just that. I am a former uber-conservative Mennonite and former uber-conservative non-voting right-wing republican. I used to be VERY active on Mennodiscuss....
Some, though I don't completely agree with him.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

puttincomputers wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Some, though I don't completely agree with him.
Nor would I on many things. He did say something that kept me from denying the "faith" and brought to my mind a very important scripture:
"He that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM." Heb 11:6
I see from your post that you have believed some of the very blatant lies that he and others like him enjoy telling. For him, a former evangelical, this "enlightenment" is taken to extremes. The one thing that I do appreciate about him is that he does not intentionally denigrate those who do have faith. Unfortunately, many of the facts that he and other like him use, are suppositions based on rationality, and not always on real hard facts. The modern term for some of it is "fake news".
The idea that first century Jews were by and large illiterate is not factual and flies in the face of documented evidence to the contrary, in fact the vast majority of Jewish boys were required to attend school. They may not all have been proficient readers and writers, but they were by no means ignorant in the modern sense of the term.
Welcome back!
0 x