Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Introductions

Post by Hats Off »

gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:posts
LOL, this ended up at the top of the page, so when I followed the link I had to go back to remember what you were replying to since you didn't quote me. :rofl: :rofl:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

fritzmb wrote:
Fidelio wrote:
Ernie wrote:Glad to have you join this forum.

I had supper with a man last week from the Apostolic Nazarene church. He is now attending an Apostolic Faith church. Have you been in the Apostolic world long enough to know the differences?

Ernie
I have not heard of the Apostolic Faith Church, but if this is it (http://apostolicfaith.org/our-faith) then they are different.
I'm not a historical expert, but here is my take. Yes, the Apostolic Christian Church Nazarean (or Nazarene) (ACCN) and the Apostolic Christian Church of America (ACCA) split in the early 1900's, and as Fidelio says, it was at least partly due to cultural issues. The issue typically mentioned is the wearing of moustaches. The ACCA, with its mostly Swiss/German background and many former Mennonites and Amish, disapproved of moustaches, while the ACCN, which includes many with Eastern European backgrounds, did not have a problem with moustaches. The ACCN maintained more official ties to the European churches, but the ACCA, being the larger of the two, has maintained unofficial ties with Europe and supports them with humanitarian aid, and has developed closer spiritual ties over the years. The ACCN has two "conferences" one I would say is more liberal than the ACCA and the other is possibly slightly more conservative. The Apostolic Christian Faith (ACF), is a recent conservative split (started in 2012) from the ACCA, which took about 10% of the ACCA membership. I know there are at least a few ACCN who have moved to the ACF, but I don't think very many.
It surprises me often at what the issue was that caused a church split. Whether or not a moustache is right for a Christian is one of those issues that scripture has no direct instructions about. I wonder what percentage of church splits have to do with outward appearances.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

gcdonner wrote:
LOL, this ended up at the top of the page, so when I followed the link I had to go back to remember what you were replying to since you didn't quote me. :rofl: :rofl:
So sorry to waste your time. :lol:
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
So sorry to waste your time. :lol:
I enjoyed the journey!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Mrs.Nisly hasn’t posted on forum since last July.
Lots of new members since last summer, too.

Example:
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2073

This is a great thread. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Zoom Bible Study?

Post by betterpromises2 »

Does anyone know of an ongoing weekly Zoom Bible study that is open to visitors? My main interest would be a group that has conservative theology. thanks, Chris.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Not sleeping, I just reviewed every page in this thread. :) Good memories on every page. :D

Page 11:
Dan Z wrote:A few thoughts I've latched on to along the way that would make the MN experience a better one for all:
  • 1) We need to leave our pride at the door - we're likely wrong more than we think we are.

2) Diversity is the spice of life. MN would be thoroughly boring if we all agreed.

3) Come understanding that when our ideas are challenged two things can happen - we can learn to better defend our beliefs and ideas that can stand up to challenge, or we can learn to move on from the weak or faulty beliefs and ideas that don't stand up. Either way is a win for us.

4) Don't label others, or turn them into a caricature of something in your head. They are dearly loved by God, and likely more nuanced and complex and insightful than you are able to discern from MN alone.

5) Don't take things so personally - have fun, learn, test your ideas, be salt & light!

6) Ultimately, remember which Kingdom you are a part of, and which citizenship is of eternal importance.
Another good one: :P
Will Hats Off return? ‘Hope so.
And, why has Gene been so quiet?

Page 8
Hats Off:
When we don't like what you say, we kick you out! :hug:
I do appreciate Dan’s #2. 8-)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
SlickPen50
Affiliation: anabaptist

Post by SlickPen50 »

Well, here goes... It's been years since I was on one of these discussion boards, independent of a social media platform.

I am an organic anabaptist in that I didn't arrive at Anabaptist thinking by reading Anabaptist material. I migrated from a religious conservative Evangelical background to Anabaptism over many years of study in the New Testament. I read two books that are not Anabaptist along with this study and my mind was totally changed in view. Then I read a book called A Third Way, by Paul M. Lederach (a Mennonite) and I realized that I was already "there" in Anabaptist thinking and living.

My wife and I live in a place where there are no Anabaptist of any type. I go to Anabaptist Identity Conferences (Wayne Chesley - who has passed) started me doing that. I also talk on the phone with a whole cadre of plain clothes Anabaptist types from Amish to BMA people.

I am a writer, author, and publisher.

I hope to make a number of friendship here.
4 x
Timothy L. Price
c. 531-217-1212
e. timprice1965@gmail.com
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Welcome on board! You will find a W-I-D-E variation in views here from very conservative to quite liberal as it regards Anabaptist thought. Join in the fun as we wrestle together to understand each other and (try) to influence one another in various ways.
2 x