Introductions

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Introductions

Post by KingdomBuilder »

gcdonner wrote:So WHO determines which are "unscriptural beliefs", "ungodly perspectives", and "non-Christ-like behavior"?
Smiles aside, this is a valid question.
Is unscriptural meaning minority or unorthodox perspectives? It usually does.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

gcdonner wrote:So WHO determines which are "unscriptural beliefs", "ungodly perspectives", and "non-Christ-like behavior"?
My advice is to anyone who notices these things and finds themselves becoming cynical or discouraged.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
My advice is to anyone who notices these things and finds themselves becoming cynical or discouraged.
This would have been good advice for me to follow not only on MN but also in real life after I became a Christian.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Ernie wrote:Welcome everybody to Mennonet!

If you haven't discovered yet, Mennonet is a place where you will find some of the best representations of Christianity as well as some of the worst.
So here is a bit of advice...
Life is too short to spend it reacting to the things we don't like. Please don't allow the non-Christlike behavior, unscriptural beliefs, and ungodly perspectives on MN to make you cynical or discouraged. If it does, get contact info for some of the Christlike folks so you can stay in contact with them, and then leave Mennonet. Not everybody is well suited for sorting through the mess and picking out the good.
So WHO determines which are "unscriptural beliefs", "ungodly perspectives", and "non-Christ-like behavior"?
Is this post "Christ-like"? Chapter and verse please... :pray :angel :shock:
Of course none of us are into condemnation or judging others motives or perspectives, right? :mrgreen: :geek:
It is quite apparent that only people who aren't part of a conservative anabaptist group qualify to judge others. You can stick on all the smilies you want. Doesn't change what you're saying. We aren't THAT stupid that we can't read between the lines.
Are you sure about that statement? What about when I was a part of one? Since the forum moderator isn't part of a conservative anabaptist group... BTW, lesterb, I can read between your lines too! :o :dance:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Ernie wrote:
Which includes me, I guess, at least at times.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
Ernie wrote:
So, according to Ernie, we should both leave MN lesterb.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Ernie wrote:
So, according to Ernie, we should both leave MN lesterb.
That would be sad :hug:
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

lesterb wrote:
Ernie wrote:
I have those times also and then I take a break from MN for awhile.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

When someon with "unscriptural beliefs" takes a break from MN and then comes back, is the "return of an unclean spirit" applicable? :? :mrgreen:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

A few thoughts I've latched on to along the way that would make the MN experience a better one for all:
  • 1) We need to leave our pride at the door - we're likely wrong more than we think we are.
    2) Diversity is the spice of life. MN would be thoroughly boring if we all agreed.
    3) Come understanding that when our ideas are challenged two things can happen - we can learn to better defend our beliefs and ideas that can stand up to challenge, or we can learn to move on from the weak or faulty beliefs and ideas that don't stand up. Either way is a win for us.
    4) Don't label others, or turn them into a caricature of something in your head. They are dearly loved by God, and likely more nuanced and complex and insightful than you are able to discern from MN alone.
    5) Don't take things so personally - have fun, learn, test your ideas, be salt & light!
    6) Ultimately, remember which Kingdom you are a part of, and which citizenship is of eternal importance.
0 x