Tips

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Tips

Post by lesterb »

Could we revive the Tips thread we had in MennoDiscuss?

For instance, I'd like to know what the Code function can be used for. Josh used it recently to build a table. That's a great function because MN doesn't have a table function. But are their other things we can use it for?

Code: Select all

Josh    Hi
Boot    Hi
Lester  Hi
Amos    N/A
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Tips

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:Could we revive the Tips thread we had in MennoDiscuss?

For instance, I'd like to know what the Code function can be used for. Josh used it recently to build a table. That's a great function because MN doesn't have a table function. But are their other things we can use it for?

Josh    Hi
Boot    Hi
Lester  Hi
Amos    N/A
Well, that's a poor man's table. The code tags just format everything at fixed width and then I used spaces.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

The Code feature is so you can enter phpBB or any code and it not be executed. This allows you to display things that the forum would normally interpret to mean something else.

Like this:

:)

:) 
I clicked the same smilie. Whenever the forum sees the : followed by the ), it places the smilie image in its place.

It also allows you to have multiple spaces and they not get removed. All web browsers remove extra spaces. This is why you can not tab or space over and it display the way you want it. You can within the Code brackets.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

So is there some way to embed html code?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:So is there some way to embed html code?
Not easily. I could create buttons to create tables, but the user would have to understand how tables are created in HTML to use it easily.

I could also add and [IFrame] tag. This would allow a page elsewhere on the internet to be displayed within the forum post. I have been very slow to add something like that or the [video] tag since it could be used and post content that would not be comfortable to many. We may have a tight enough handle on things now that they could be added, since the two step registration really reduces the trash that can be posted.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I personally prefer the environment here where we don't have much embedded beyond images; embedded videos or embedded Twitter, etc makes it a lot harder to screen what is posted here for appropriateness of content.

Embedding HTML is hard to do from a technical perspective without it being possible for a poster with bad intentions to disrupt the whole experience of the site, or post spam or post something that is capable of easily tracking visitors to MN.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Question: why do some PMs go to outbox instead of sent messages? How do I fix this? (If it's even an issue...)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Question: why do some PMs go to outbox instead of sent messages? How do I fix this? (If it's even an issue...)
I believe they sit in your outbox until the recipient receives or opens it, then they will be viewed as sent.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wade wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Question: why do some PMs go to outbox instead of sent messages? How do I fix this? (If it's even an issue...)
I believe they sit in your outbox until the recipient receives or opens it, then they will be viewed as sent.
Oops.. I thought it was an issue so I resent them :?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Wade wrote:
Oops.. I thought it was an issue so I resent them :?
If they are still in your outbox you can delete them too without the recipient seeing them.
0 x