Can we make MN less hostile?

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Can we make MN less hostile?

Post by Hats Off »

I feel there is a time on a public forum like this to respond to some things to make sure some other seeker isn't tripped up by what they read here. However i must admit we went well past that point.
1 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

For MN to be less hostile, you would have to address the underlying causes of the hostility percolating under the surface, ready to spew forth under the right conditions. I am not sure those conditions can be addressed constructively in a forum of this sort. Only perimeters put in place by a healthy admin team. The perimeters seem to be decent and for the most part, the admin team seems to be healthy. (not that my opinion on the admin team matters)

If you took a pin and popped the self importance and self righteousness balloons around here, that would go a long ways towards greasing the skids of human relations around here. (Isn't that true for all human relations?) It would also make it less tempting for rabble-rousers, gadflys, and trolls to stir things up, as well as make it harder for them to be effective.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Erika wrote:I am not sure of the legalities of doing this but I want to quote from the book, 'Getting Along With People God's Way', by John Coblentz.
A general rule is quoting a paragraph or two is not infringement as long as it is referenced.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Erika wrote:
ragpicker wrote:For MN to be less hostile, you would have to address the underlying causes of the hostility percolating under the surface, ready to spew forth under the right conditions. I am not sure those conditions can be addressed constructively in a forum of this sort. Only perimeters put in place by a healthy admin team. The perimeters seem to be decent and for the most part, the admin team seems to be healthy. (not that my opinion on the admin team matters)

If you took a pin and popped the self importance and self righteousness balloons around here, that would go a long ways towards greasing the skids of human relations around here. (Isn't that true for all human relations?) It would also make it less tempting for rabble-rousers, gadflys, and trolls to stir things up, as well as make it harder for them to be effective.
If I understand John Coblentz's writings accurately scorn is the cause of a lot of conflict and it is linked to pride. So, yes, I think if we deal with pride and it's self righteousness it could help.
I was wondering if anyone might be interested in doing a online support group ( on this website) to study John Coblentz writings. There is a study guide that goes with that book that we could use. We could discuss our character flaws and work on them with imput from others, using the other books that I have mentioned. Maybe it could even be a closed group to ensure confidentiality.
I am not sure of the legalities of doing this but I want to quote from the book, 'Getting Along With People God's Way', by John Coblentz. " Scorning is rooted in pride - an elevated view of oneself and consequently, looking down on others, their ideas, their mannerisms, their weaknesses, and their strengths. Scorn hurts. And scorn typically fuels conflict". In an earlier paragraph John Coblentz says, " Scorn (includes), subtle insinuations, sarcasm, and prejudice". ( Page 125).
This is good- now i have a question- because I think sometimes 'zeal' and 'scorn' can be confused-
I'm thinking of Apostle Paul who with all his heart and zeal thought he was doing the right thing by trying to destroy 'The Way'- until Jesus met him on the road to Damascus.

I feel like we need to discern these things rightly as we can falsely accuse or apply wrong motives when in reality, a person 'may' have some points to be considered, whether we want to see/face/consider them or not and also- if they are truly on the wrong path but feel they are serving God, let's meet them like Jesus did Apostle Paul, and pray to that end
Whatever happened to "Blessed are the Peacemakers" which is a part of the all important Sermon on the Mount? How can we be a peacemaker?
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote:
Erika wrote: I am not sure of the legalities of doing this but I want to quote from the book, 'Getting Along With People God's Way', by John Coblentz. " Scorning is rooted in pride - an elevated view of oneself and consequently, looking down on others, their ideas, their mannerisms, their weaknesses, and their strengths. Scorn hurts. And scorn typically fuels conflict". In an earlier paragraph John Coblentz says, " Scorn (includes), subtle insinuations, sarcasm, and prejudice". ( Page 125).
This is good- now i have a question- because I think sometimes 'zeal' and 'scorn' can be confused-
I'm thinking of Apostle Paul who with all his heart and zeal thought he was doing the right thing by trying to destroy 'The Way'- until Jesus met him on the road to Damascus.

I feel like we need to discern these things rightly as we can falsely accuse or apply wrong motives when in reality, a person 'may' have some points to be considered, whether we want to see/face/consider them or not and also- if they are truly on the wrong path but feel they are serving God, let's meet them like Jesus did Apostle Paul, and pray to that end
Whatever happened to "Blessed are the Peacemakers" which is a part of the all important Sermon on the Mount? How can we be a peacemaker?
I think the suggestion by Coblentz in one of his books is a worthy start: pray first and avoid an immediate reaction. Wait until the emotion passes. Most problems with conflicts come from reacting on one's emotions.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Erika, I appreciate your post, and please pray for me too.

The way we interact with each other and others on MN really is a test that tells people if we practice what we preach. I think things have improved a LOT since this thread started.

Incidentally, I have been talking to someone else whose posts were sometimes hostile, also going through a lot. We mostly don't know what other people are going through, sometimes their hostility is something else bleeding through. It's better to find that other thing and deal with it directly ...
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I think MennoNet could be a less hostile place if people would not bring up and push provocative subjects, particularly: "what the Eastern Orthodox believe is..." and " Trump is a ... !" - That would eliminate our most volatile discussions.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I think MennoNet could be a less hostile place if people would not bring up and push provocative subjects, particularly: "what the Eastern Orthodox believe is..." and " Trump is a ... !" - That would eliminate our most volatile discussions.
Eastern Orthodoxy does not belong here. Period.

Why would someone come to a mennonite forum and push EO? I suspect I know.

J.M.
1 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps dedicated EO and Trump subforums could be created. Then instead of being confusion and clutter, these threads or derails could end up being a valuable resource.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Josh wrote:Perhaps dedicated EO and Trump subforums could be created.
Or at least Briar Patch-style threads where EO- and Trump-related posts could be sent at the request of the OP.
1 x
"It is a weird" —Ken