Can we make MN less hostile?

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Can we make MN less hostile?

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:47 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:35 am So when you say "there is a refusal by several members to actually answer questions", I suspect you may be thinking of examples of the kind of bad behavior that Szdfan is talking about. I think those examples exist, but I also doubt that anything good happens if we dredge up examples, people will just double down and take sides.
Then think of a way to rephrase the question so the other person is willing to answer. Maybe it is the WAY the question is being asked. Log in eye and all.
Yes, that's quite likely. Perhaps I can ask for help rephrasing a question when this comes up?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:05 am

So just to be clear, Szd can call me a toxic bigot
Show me where this happened. If he did, then it will be addressed. If you are reading into what he said, there is little we can do.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 am

I'm still laughing. I may borrow that for facebook.
Need me to edit it so it is Steve?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:19 am
Robert wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:47 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:35 am So when you say "there is a refusal by several members to actually answer questions", I suspect you may be thinking of examples of the kind of bad behavior that Szdfan is talking about. I think those examples exist, but I also doubt that anything good happens if we dredge up examples, people will just double down and take sides.
Then think of a way to rephrase the question so the other person is willing to answer. Maybe it is the WAY the question is being asked. Log in eye and all.
Yes, that's quite likely. Perhaps I can ask for help rephrasing a question when this comes up?
I was speaking in a general sense, but many would help with rephrasing as needed. Many here can be quite kind and respectful in their questioning.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Robert wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:20 am

Show me where this happened. If he did, then it will be addressed. If you are reading into what he said, there is little we can do.
You locked the thread, so I can't directly quote it.

http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p160224
Szdfan wrote:Trans teenagers have some of the highest suicide homeless rates, not because of gender affirmation treatment or that there is something intrinsically wrong with them, but because they live in a world that despises and rejects them. My students need protection from toxic bigots like you.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sure, here’s a few examples:

“I don't think that everyone who opposes LGBTQ rights is homophobic. I do think that if someone uses slurs like "trannie," repeats lies that LGBTQ people are more likely to abuse children and demonize people who are still on the margins, they are a homophobe. You're a bigot. You obviously hate queers.”

“My students need protection from toxic bigots like you.”
2 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:27 am

You locked the thread, so I can't directly quote it.

http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p160224
Szdfan wrote:Trans teenagers have some of the highest suicide homeless rates, not because of gender affirmation treatment or that there is something intrinsically wrong with them, but because they live in a world that despises and rejects them. My students need protection from toxic bigots like you.
Then it was handled and addressed.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:30 am

“I don't think that everyone who opposes LGBTQ rights is homophobic. I do think that if someone uses slurs like "trannie," repeats lies that LGBTQ people are more likely to abuse children and demonize people who are still on the margins, they are a homophobe. You're a bigot. You obviously hate queers.”

These are good examples of when to hit the ! button in the upper right. This flags the post so the Mods can see it and address it. Retaliating back just means both are doing it and both have to be dealt with.

I can not speak for the rest of the Mods, but I DO NOT READ every thread. When I do, I have a bad eye and can easily miss things. Flagging PERSONAL INSULTS will allow us to target in and address it. We do, and will.

There have been times that both sides were attacking each other. Kind of hard to dig in and find the start. If you want the Mods to address it, then do not address it yourself. When you do, it makes it almost impossible to sort through the attacks and counter attacks, and I, personally, just get tired of babysitting toddlers.

Stop retaliating, let us know and move on. This is how you make things less hostile. It will not always end the way you want it, so move on and be who Christ calls us to be.

Love out enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Nowhere is there does He say counterattack on the forum just to put them in their place or show how tough/smart you are.

Josh, this is not targeted to you specifically. This is a general response to the attacks and counter attacks that keep happening. Just using your post as a launch point to comment on.
3 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Robert wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:43 pm , I have a bad eye and can easily miss things.
We have plenty of folks available here who are experts at removing moats from eyes.
3 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Robert wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:43 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:30 am

These are good examples of when to hit the ! button in the upper right. This flags the post so the Mods can see it and address it. Retaliating back just means both are doing it and both have to be dealt with.

I can not speak for the rest of the Mods, but I DO NOT READ every thread. When I do, I have a bad eye and can easily miss things. Flagging PERSONAL INSULTS will allow us to target in and address it. We do, and will.

There have been times that both sides were attacking each other. Kind of hard to dig in and find the start. If you want the Mods to address it, then do not address it yourself. When you do, it makes it almost impossible to sort through the attacks and counter attacks, and I, personally, just get tired of babysitting toddlers.

Stop retaliating, let us know and move on. This is how you make things less hostile. It will not always end the way you want it, so move on and be who Christ calls us to be.

Love out enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Nowhere is there does He say counterattack on the forum just to put them in their place or show how tough/smart you are.

Josh, this is not targeted to you specifically. This is a general response to the attacks and counter attacks that keep happening. Just using your post as a launch point to comment on.
Ok, I appreciate that, but it doesn't really bother me to be personally attacked. My motive in my responses to that thread was not retaliation. it did get personal, and I didn't start that, but it did drastically change how I view szd now.

What does bother me is that after he started throwing around personal insults, that he now refuses to respond to me specifically, and his excuse is that I'm toxic.

If he's upset with himself for what he said, he should apologize and move on, not blame me for somehow drawing it out of him.
1 x