Can we make MN less hostile?

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Can we make MN less hostile?

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:03 pm
QuietlyListening wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:21 pm
Colossians 4:6 tells us to "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."
See there, salty language is sanctioned by scripture. What's the problem? :ugeek:
What is 'salty language' ? Mark 9:50
Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another.”
Having salt in ourselves includes being at peace with one another. Having a spirit of gentleness and forgiveness.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

QuietlyListening wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:21 pm

I must say I get frustrated at the name calling and those same people don't see it in themselves but think 'others' are doing it. It applies to many here - no matter what your opinion is and where you want to categorize yourself.
I don't read everyone's posts, but I haven't seen name calling. I see lots of disagreement, but no name calling. Maybe I could be classified as "reading impaired". I read very little of what Ken writes and rarely look at all his charts and graphs.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Now, almost five years "down the pike" on this thread, I'd say 'we' COULD, but 'we' won't.
Sometimes when I make a retort, I have a "check in my spirit". Sometimes I listen to it, and erase it all. Sometimes I listen, and put it in a document file, to be considered later. Sometimes I never bother looking at that document again, maybe because enough of the "heat" has dissipated. Sometimes I go back to it, and re-word it till I feel OK to post it. Sometimes I don't listen at all, and just slap it up on the "board". Occasionally when I do that I manage to come back within the allotted time, and cut out the worst of it. Sometimes I push it all down, that little voice inside me. Those are the times I resent having written and hastily posted. Sometimes when I don't come back in time I realize that I was wrong, and actually come back and admit it.
(Sometimes I also wonder if dealing with machines on the telephone a lot dulls my senses - because I know there actually isn't a living, breathing soul on the other end, one for whom Christ died --- like there is here.)
4 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:13 am Whether we like it or not the modern world classifies much of the New Testament as "hate speech", in particular, statements about immorality and statements that those who don't believe in Jesus and reject him will perish in hell. There is really no way to have any compromise between these two very different positions.
Nobody who posts regularly in MN sees the New Testament as hate speech. Most see it as our source for what love is and how to live our lives.

I think that's one source of unity to build on.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:56 am
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:13 am Whether we like it or not the modern world classifies much of the New Testament as "hate speech", in particular, statements about immorality and statements that those who don't believe in Jesus and reject him will perish in hell. There is really no way to have any compromise between these two very different positions.
Nobody who posts regularly in MN sees the New Testament as hate speech. Most see it as our source for what love is and how to live our lives.

None of us see Trump, Biden, or any politician as our savior. We can build on that too.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Robert wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:34 am
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:56 am

None of us see Trump, Biden, or any politician as our savior. We can build on that too.
If only, the Saviour got as much attention.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:34 am
If only, the Saviour got as much attention.
That’s why church is not a forum.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Lex has been banned. I am not a babysitter.
12 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Robert wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm Lex has been banned. I am not a babysitter.
Something tells me he'll try to come back. I get that vibe from him/her/it.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm Lex has been banned. I am not a babysitter.
I think that it might be good to post an Admin notice on the worst of his threads, to advise anyone who wanders onto the forum, that these kinds of attitudes are not approved of or tolerated here.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.