Can we make MN less hostile?

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Can we make MN less hostile?

Post by Valerie »

Erika wrote:I have to admit I could do better.
In Australia, as you may be aware, we had a same sex marriage debate and vote. ( By the way I voted no to same sex marriage because of the bigotry expressed by the gay lobby). I was mercilessly attacked by members of the LGBTI 'community' on line and in the streets for four months. I gave me a mind set that refuses to allow myself or the Church to be attacked for my and Church beliefs. However, after all that trauma I sought another way to deal with the confrontational tactics used by those who are antagonistic towards the Church, particularly young atheists who are a dime a dozen in this very secular country.
I think, in retrospect I should do as my church teaches and refuse to defend my point of view as those who hate the church seem to feed off it. I need to learn that if I am attacked or if the faith is attacked then perhaps I should simply stand and suffer.
I am still recovering from the trauma that was inflicted on me last year so it will take some time of discipleship to get to where I need to be.
Most of us could do better. We need to take 'time' before we respond, especially if we are offended, hurt, or angered- emotions can affect response. We know how Jesus taught us to respond, as well as His Apostles and of course He was our best example of responding to attacks & insults. Sometimes, He opened not His mouth! Times He slipped away. We can use these times as a test in our own spirit to see what fruit there is. In actuality, the 'world' does want to :see how we respond.
The Holy Spirit should be our guide if we are filled- because sometimes we do need to respond and sometimes we should not, discernment is necessary.

Jude had this to say: (Jude 1:3)

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
2 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Erika, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds really awful.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:Erika, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds really awful.
Yes- I am too-
the reality is these groups can be very viscious in their attacks, it happens on forums, and in real face to face discussions- and it is happening in America as well- both the LGBT community and those that have the atheist agenda.

One thing that helps me is this realization:

Ephesians 6:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

It's not the 'flesh and blood' but the spirit motivating the flesh & blood (the spirit of the antichrist against Christianity and it's values) so we really will begin to know what persecution is like from what I can tell- we have had it very easy in our country (and in yours) but those days of being respected as a Christian are probably going to end in the future as the world gets darker before Christ's return, and then we will know & understand what those who have gone before us endured- for we have not yet resisted unto death-

We're in a spiritual battle, and can get wounded but remember who our Commander in Chief is- and He taught us taking up our cross daily following Him, would be the path we would enter into fellowship with HIS sufferings.
2 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

joshuabgood wrote:Resist the impulse to engage trolls. It was pretty easy to spot from the first post that Spart was unbalanced.

Anyone that refers to his former wife with that language online is in left field somewhere. Yet he was engaged and given 10 plus pages of time...

If you feel trolls must be confronted pm them or only respond once.

And also ban those folks that cross the line.

That would be my vote.
To be fair, I was never quite sure who he was referring to as his first wife, but I think that when he made those really off-color comments, he was referring to a prostitute with whom he had his first sexual experience. (Because he then went into the whole deal about "if you join yourself to a harlot, you have become one flesh with her", and then seemed to be defining that as meaning marriage. I must admit that I have often wondered why a person who has had many illicit relationships is "allowed" to marry, but one who in good faith marries a person who turns out to be untrue, cannot.) Anyway, the first woman to whom he was actually legally married, I don't think he was referring to her.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I think of this from one of my favorite chapters in the Bible:
For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
“Who committed no sin,
Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;
who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously;

I Peter 2:21-23

I have strong opinions on various issues and don't mind a vigorous discussion of them from time to time, but I do try to keep it civil. Sometimes I time myself out or make myself wait overnight before responding. But when I look into the mirror of Scripture I see that it is not just about observing certain debate protocols but our call is to cultivate a gentle and respectful spirit toward each other.
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

James 3:17,18
And here is what I think is a practical tip based on 20+ years of experience in internet discussion forums: one hostile person alone is not enough to spoil a thread as long as the others exercise restraint. It's the second person in who turns it into a scrum.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Erika wrote:I have to admit I could do better.
In Australia, as you may be aware, we had a same sex marriage debate and vote. ( By the way I voted no to same sex marriage because of the bigotry expressed by the gay lobby). I was mercilessly attacked by members of the LGBTI 'community' on line and in the streets for four months. I gave me a mind set that refuses to allow myself or the Church to be attacked for my and Church beliefs. However, after all that trauma I sought another way to deal with the confrontational tactics used by those who are antagonistic towards the Church, particularly young atheists who are a dime a dozen in this very secular country.
I think, in retrospect I should do as my church teaches and refuse to defend my point of view as those who hate the church seem to feed off it. I need to learn that if I am attacked or if the faith is attacked then perhaps I should simply stand and suffer.
I am still recovering from the trauma that was inflicted on me last year so it will take some time of discipleship to get to where I need to be.
Erika, I'm sorry that you had to suffer that persecution. I've heard that Australia is burdened with the same kind of anti-Christian hostility that the faithful disciples here in the US suffer. The pro-homosexual advocates take every opportunity to express their hated of Christ and Christians. If we remain steadfast in the faith we have already been given the victory. Let's keep each other in prayers.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

I just added Spart to my "enemy list" and didn't see any more posts written by him, so that is an option... of course, don't feed the trollz...
2 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Mennogal wrote:I just added Spart to my "enemy list" and didn't see any more posts written by him, so that is an option... of course, don't feed the trollz...
He came as a seeker not a troll, perhaps he is testing us on Jesus words to love our enemy, to turn the other cheek, and to forgive 70 x 7. How we doing on that?
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote:
Mennogal wrote:I just added Spart to my "enemy list" and didn't see any more posts written by him, so that is an option... of course, don't feed the trollz...
He came as a seeker not a troll, perhaps he is testing us on Jesus words to love our enemy, to turn the other cheek, and to forgive 70 x 7. How we doing on that?

If I may comment on that, he may be a seeker, but if a man of such came into any public place and proceeded to act that way he would be thrown out and eventually if persisted he would be barred with penalty of prison to violate that.

One might ask then if being a moderator on a forum is like being in the government :mrgreen:

In all practicality if the forum was ran with continual forgiveness without any consequence, we would soon not have a functional forum. We have mods and admins for a reason.

I would forgive him but I would have no fellowship with him unless he changed his ways.

I can't say everyone here operated with love to the "seeker" but if there isn't an actual dialog then its not worth wasting time on.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Erika wrote:I have found John Coblentz's writings very helpful, particularly, 'Getting Along with People God's Way', un, 'Putting off Anger'. At the moment I am also using Simon Shrock's Ten Step plan, 'Growing in Godly Thinking'. Everything starts in the mind - I think it is Satan's favourite playground, ( 'the devil's playground'). Being attacked for the faith can make one very defensive - a bad habit to fall into.
Sometimes I think we can become the people we argue with - if we follow them down into an argument or battleground of their choosing. Sometimes it is a well set trap and ambush. Our antagonists seem to rehearse their arguement then seek their prey. Be aware, you enemy, the devil is prowling around like a lion.
Amen and amen. Defensiveness is an instinctual emotion that protected our ancestors from predators. It's instinctive but it can be controlled by simply waiting and letting the emotion pass.

BTW those are very good books you've listed. We have all of them and I recommend them.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God