Questions for Anabaptists: Plain or Old Order

Christianity can be taxonomically divided into six main groups: the Church of the East, Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Restorationism. Protestantism includes many groups which do not share any ecclesiastical governance and have widely diverging beliefs and practices. Major Protestant branches include Adventism, Anabaptism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Lutheranism, Methodism, Moravianism, Quakerism, Pentecostalism, Plymouth Brethren, Reformed Christianity, and Waldensianism.
Forum rules
Discussion in this section is to be informative not combative. Ask questions and accept answers. No challenging of others faith or beliefs will be tolerated.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Questions for Anabaptists: Plain or Old Order

Post by Sudsy »

A question I have been asked and I don't know the answer that a Plain or Old Order would give -

Why do those who wear long dresses, head coverings and other non-modern styles of dress in daily wear, also wear the most modern, often quite colourful running shoes ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 pm A question I have been asked and I don't know the answer that a Plain or Old Order would give -

Why do those who wear long dresses, head coverings and other non-modern styles of dress in daily wear, also wear the most modern, often quite colourful running shoes ?
The last two churches I’ve been part of have had a standard against colorful shoewear.
Often though shoes are not considered to be a particular item that attracts attention outside of high heels or boots.
You can also consider the fact that most people can make a dress, a shoe is a completely different story.

Also as a point to the dresses, 90% of the fabric is very modern, Machine made and can handle the washing machine much better than the older ones could.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 pm A question I have been asked and I don't know the answer that a Plain or Old Order would give -

RZehr wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:33 am
Sudsy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:03 am Since I am allowed questions - why do some cape dress Mennonite women wear modern and often quite brightly coloured running shoes that are visible and I have heard laughed at by non-Christians ? To them, they see traditional dress except for the shoes and wonder why shoes can be modern/worldly ?
Because we don’t make our own shoes. Because wearing dress shoes all of the time isn’t real practical. Running shoes are good for running, which we do. Because we wear homemade dresses for tradition, but also for covering the body better than other clothes. Boughten shoes cover the body fine.
I think the more conservative churches would prohibit brightly colored shoes. When I was growing up, there was a brief time where we had to wear black shoes.
Just some thoughts.
mike wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:31 pm It's because conservative Anabaptists don't regulate everything to the nth degree. In the areas where they don't have hard and fast rules, you're going to see a little more individual expression. It's not rocket science.
And much, much more here.
1 x