Questions for Protestants: Mainline and Evangelical

Christianity can be taxonomically divided into six main groups: the Church of the East, Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Restorationism. Protestantism includes many groups which do not share any ecclesiastical governance and have widely diverging beliefs and practices. Major Protestant branches include Adventism, Anabaptism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Lutheranism, Methodism, Moravianism, Quakerism, Pentecostalism, Plymouth Brethren, Reformed Christianity, and Waldensianism.
Forum rules
Discussion in this section is to be informative not combative. Ask questions and accept answers. No challenging of others faith or beliefs will be tolerated.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Questions for Protestants: Mainline and Evangelical

Post by Ernie »

Have a question you would like to ask a Mainline or Evangelical Protestant?

This is a place you can do it.

Please do not answer questions if you are not a Protestant.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Questions for Protestants: Mainline and Evangelical

Post by barnhart »

What are your three most significant objections to Anabaptism?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 am What are your three most significant objections to Anabaptism?
First I want to say I admire so much about the people and their pursuit of pious life unconfirmed to the world

1. In my studies, I do not agree with some of their interpretations (I do agree with others where the differences are.

2. Too skeptical of Hy Spirits involvement & gifts. I love the focus on Jesus but find focus on what we believe about the Holy Spirits role to be much less in Anabaptism

3. Too difficult to determine a sect for a seeker as they are so divided & the emphasis on making those certain sect divisions even more distinct by regulating dress rules. Covering types
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I grew up protestant and as I talk to friends now the biggest thing is non resistance- whether it is applying to war or an intruder in your home, just the whole idea of not fighting back, turning the other cheek. It was a new concept to me when I married my husband.
You get into discussions about pro life and once you finish talking about abortion- that is it for them and not only is it a new thought but many are appalled by it. The first argument they will bring up will be but what about WWII.

Not sure of other issues.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

How do you justify Christians taking part in killing in self-defense and war given the teachings of Jesus and Paul regarding love for one's enemies and not resisting evildoers or taking vengeance?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Are there Mainline Protestants here to answer these questions? Are there Evangelicals here that believe in the justified use of violence?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I am no longer mainline protestant and actually you have more mainline protestants that are pacifists as opposed to non resistant then you have either in the Evangelical circles. Many of my friends are Evangelical and they talk about just wars and you end up talking across each other and getting no where.
So I hear just wars, defending your family even if not yourself and many other thoughts tho no biblical back up.
Many say that the part in the Sermon on the Mount that is related to turning the other cheek, loving your enemy - nonresistance - is hyperbole or for a future kingdom not now. And you get no more.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Several of us converted… but I don’t know we fit to answer questions.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

What do you think your group will look like or be doing in 500 years?
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Question for those who see themselves as 'Mainline' - What do you think it means to be 'born again' ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit