Archaeologists need to quit being so quick to…

A place to discuss history and historical events.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Archaeologists need to quit being so quick to…

Post by RZehr »

…speculative attribute unknown artifacts to “religious rituals” or “ceremonial”.
Take a look around us. Most artifacts that mankind makes are not for these purposes. I suppose in the far distant future, kitchen spatulas and spark plugs will be in a museum and described as “ceremonial artifact”. The god of Champion, and the cult of NGK.

This behavior of linking religion with artifacts is stupid, and is poor science, and is demeaning to religion by constant association antiquity. Which I’m sure many archaeologists are perfectly okay with. But I find it bafflingly ridiculous.
2 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Archaeologists need to quit being so quick to…

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 pm …speculative attribute unknown artifacts to “religious rituals” or “ceremonial”.
Take a look around us. Most artifacts that mankind makes are not for these purposes. I suppose in the far distant future, kitchen spatulas and spark plugs will be in a museum and described as “ceremonial artifact”. The god of Champion, and the cult of NGK.

This behavior of linking religion with artifacts is stupid, and is poor science, and is demeaning to religion by constant association antiquity. Which I’m sure many archaeologists are perfectly okay with. But I find it bafflingly ridiculous.
Can you give a specific example that gave rise to this post?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 pm …speculative attribute unknown artifacts to “religious rituals” or “ceremonial”.

i enjoy reading about archaeology, i expect you’re right about the zeal to find what is wanted to be found.

a couple of questions i’ve had, one about unusual finds in odd locations .. often, the possibility of simple trade doesn’t seem to be considered. people managed to travel a lot, objects are carried, traded, left, lost, dropped, gifted, etc.

recently, it seems “all things found” demonstrate matriarchies/women warriors where not before considered.
presuming genders, eh?

digs must be funded. :mrgreen:
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I think it is common today for people to treat objects in a ritual, ceremonial or religious way.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:58 am I think it is common today for people to treat objects in a ritual, ceremonial or religious way.
An anthropologist would be justified in believing people worshipped cars, smartphones, computers, and TVs.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

barnhart wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:58 am I think it is common today for people to treat objects in a ritual, ceremonial or religious way.
Can you explain?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:47 am

No. I must be clicking on archeological discovery articles on Yahoo, because it seems to feed me a regular supply of them. And this tendency to speculate about rituals and ceremonies, is something that I started noticing. The most recent article was one where a tusk or board had three holes in it. And now some are saying they think it was used for rope making instead of ceremonial purposes.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:59 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:47 am

No. I must be clicking on archeological discovery articles on Yahoo, because it seems to feed me a regular supply of them. And this tendency to speculate about rituals and ceremonies, is something that I started noticing. The most recent article was one where a tusk or board had three holes in it. And now some are saying they think it was used for rope making instead of ceremonial purposes.
"Roman dodecahedrons" would be another example.
Stonehenge
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Cape dresses? :lol:
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:36 pm
Can you explain?
How many people do you know who's behavior says they believe money will make them happy.
0 x