Train history

A place to discuss history and historical events.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Train history

Post by temporal1 »

i wasn’t sure if this fits in any of steve’s train threads .. if it does, relocating it is fine. :mrgreen:
My father, 1916-1996, was a train buff. He would recognize all of this.

IT’S HISTORY / Chicago's Lost California Zephyr / 21min
✏️ Description:
Unearth Chicago's Lost California Zephyr!
Dive into the forgotten legacy of this iconic train route in our latest episode.

Join us as we rediscover the allure of vintage rail travel, exploring its history and significance in shaping Chicago's transportation.
Get ready for a nostalgic journey through the golden age of railways!
✏️ Found in Comments:
@johndonlon1611 WROTE: 20 hours ago (edited)
Having lived my entire life along the CB&Q I can say I saw all of it--all the named trains, mainline steam, speeding mail trains, FT Graybacks pulling livestock trains.

However, the California Zephyr was truly the jewel as it blasted through LaGrange Road (Illinois).
Very fond memories only found today on photos and grainy movie film.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Train history

Post by ohio jones »

All is not lost! Amtrak still operates the route, and it's widely recognized as the most scenic train journey in the country. Especially the section west of Denver. Perhaps not quite the classic experience it once was, but still worth taking.

1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i know about So Cal to Seattle, didn’t know about Chicago-SF.
i sometimes dream of train traveling with my grdaughter.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

You do know about Chicago to Seattle, right? Empire Builder.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Chicago was and is a major railroad hub and one of the dividing points between trains out East and trains out West.

The CB&Q had a major presence in Colorado, also because they owned the standard gauge and narrow gauge Colorado & Southern.

I live near the former Chicago-Los Angeles mainline of the Santa Fe. Amtrak’s Southwest Chief is the last remnant of the Santa Fe’s classic passenger operations, deriving it’s name from the Chief and Super Chief trains. During its heyday, the Super Chief was known as the “Train of the Stars” due to the amount of celebrities that traveled it between LA and Chicago.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 am Chicago was and is a major railroad hub and one of the dividing points between trains out East and trains out West.
It still is. Many of the container trains we see go though the area either start or terminates in Chicago.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:13 am You do know about Chicago to Seattle, right? Empire Builder.
yes. i’ve sometimes wistfully purused Amtrak’s website, sometimes even dreaming of the more northern route that goes through the Canadian Rockies. sometimes dreaming of meeting my family in Banff.

usually dreaming in winter when northern trains aren’t passing.
Banff station is a railway station in Banff, Alberta, Canada. It is used by Royal Canadian Pacific and the Rocky Mountaineer, and previously by Canadian Pacific Railway and Via Rail. The station is on a Canadian Pacific Kansas City line.
It's actually surprisingly difficult to get to Banff by train. You can ride the luxurious rails with Rocky Mountaineer. VIA Rail (Canada's national passenger rain service) stops in Jasper to the north, but not in Banff. Transfers are available between Jasper and Banff, though.

.. to sleep ~ perchance to dream ..
shakespeare
0 x

UNKNOWN