Palestine - (non-eschatological)

A place to discuss history and historical events.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Palestine - (non-eschatological)

Post by barnhart »

I had an Arab friend who expressed distain for Key Foods grocery stores because he said it was created by Palestinians who sold their land around 1949 and emigrated to the US. According to him they tried to "have it both ways" by selling their birthright land and simultaneously supporting Palestinian resistance.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:49 pm And after 1922, the British closed off the eastern portion of the Mandate (east of the Jordan River) to any Jewish settlement which in effect forced all Jewish settlement into the the areas that now compose the state of Israel.

As it stood, Mandatory Palestine was to be divided between Jewish settlement areas and Arab ones. The fly in the ointment is that the British promised Palestine to Emir Faisal, King Hussain's great Grandfather, in exchange for his help in kicking the Ottoman's out during World War I. What was promised in the oddly worded Balfour Declaration was that such a "National Homeland" would not prejudice the rights of those people already living there. Typical British colonial double dealing. Which is exactly what the Zionist settlement efforts did, and soon what they could not buy, they took. It would likely surprise you that most of the "trouble" in Ottoman and early mandatory Palestine was between Muslims and Christians, the largest groups present. It also started the myth that the land of Palestine was "empty" when Jewish settlers arrived (Last repeated by president Clinton, as far as I have heard) which is far from the truth.

I have even heard some say that "Palestine does not exist!" Tell that to Hadrian.

Both sides have a "from the river to the sea" mentality. I see no hope for peace. Come Lord Jesus. (But that is eschatological)
1 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

barnhart wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:58 pm I had an Arab friend who expressed distain for Key Foods grocery stores because he said it was created by Palestinians who sold their land around 1949 and emigrated to the US. According to him they tried to "have it both ways" by selling their birthright land and simultaneously supporting Palestinian resistance.
I have heard of some such people in Jordan meeting an unfortunate end. The penalty for such was, at one point, death.
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:01 pm It would likely surprise you that most of the "trouble" in Ottoman and early mandatory Palestine was between Muslims and Christians, the largest groups present. It also started the myth that the land of Palestine was "empty" when Jewish settlers arrived (Last repeated by president Clinton, as far as I have heard) which is far from the truth.
Would not surprise me in the slightest.

The Crusader wars over that same territory lasted what? 200 years or so?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr