The Dresden Bombing and Aftermath

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: The Dresden Bombing and Aftermath

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:31 pmDid the bombing of German cities bring the war to a quicker end? Yes, undoubtably.
Yes, perhaps...

However... regarding Dresden...
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... of-dresden
On the evening of February 13, 1945, a series of Allied firebombing raids begins against the German city of Dresden, reducing the “Florence of the Elbe” to rubble and flames, and killing roughly 25,000 people. Despite the horrendous scale of destruction, it arguably accomplished little strategically, since the Germans were already on the verge of surrender.
The Germans were not remotely on the verge of surrender in February 1945

The Dresden bombing happened February 13, 1945. There would be another 2 million more war deaths in Europe before Germany finally surrendered.

The map below shows where the battle lines were in February 1945. The Americans, British, and Canadians were finishing up the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes forest of Belgium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge and the Soviets were wrapping up the Vistula-Oder offensive in western Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistula%E ... _offensive

The Americans had not yet entered Germany at that point of the war. The deadliest month of the war for the US was December 1944 and they expected the fighting to get worse the closer they got to Germany. The Americans did not even cross the Rhine into Germany until March 23, 1945 and the Soviets had just crossed the Oder river into Germany proper from the east and were facing nearly a million German troops defending Berlin.

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:55 pm I was a young lad in Great Britain during the frightening German bombing of our country. Hence I understand how the Israelis felt during the Hamas blitzkrieg.
Last I checked, Hamas isn’t armed with V-2s.

We should also sympathise with how Gazans feel when the Israelis drop bombs on hospitals, mosques, and schools.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 am
MaxPC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:55 pm I was a young lad in Great Britain during the frightening German bombing of our country. Hence I understand how the Israelis felt during the Hamas blitzkrieg.

We should also sympathise with how Gazans feel when the Israelis drop bombs on hospitals, mosques, and schools.
Josh, a bomb is a bomb and we are speaking of WWII in this particular thread. I shared my personal experience.

Israel has texted civilians in Gaza warning them to flee south to Egypt as it prepares for an all-out ground assault to "crush" Hamas. At least they are warning the civilians.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 am

Josh, a bomb is a bomb and we are speaking of WWII in this particular thread. I shared my personal experience.

Israel has texted civilians in Gaza warning them to flee south to Egypt as it prepares for an all-out ground assault to "crush" Hamas. At least they are warning the civilians.
They aren’t allowed in Egypt. Babies and children have already died in the bombing attack.

Frankly I see Israel’s position as indefensible at this point. They can build a wall (and make sure tunnels aren’t dug underneath it). They have an airforce which can patrol against… powered paragliders. They have a navy which can blockade… people in inflatable little boats. They also have allegedly the best intelligence services in the world, which should tip them off when any kind of attack is coming. They have the Iron Dome, which protects against rocket attacks.

Gazans have nothing.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:20 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 am

They aren’t allowed in Egypt. Babies and children have already died in the bombing attack.

Frankly I see Israel’s position as indefensible at this point. They can build a wall (and make sure tunnels aren’t dug underneath it). They have an airforce which can patrol against… powered paragliders. They have a navy which can blockade… people in inflatable little boats. They also have allegedly the best intelligence services in the world, which should tip them off when any kind of attack is coming. They have the Iron Dome, which protects against rocket attacks.

Gazans have nothing.
Indeed violence is non-discriminating in warfare. Those attacked will return the attack as history has proven. While those suggestions may make sense on paper, they have been tried before ... and failed. Israel is also being attacked from the east with mortars and rockets.

Back to the Dresden discussion.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:16 pm It seems from the articles that the far right use this event to minimize or draw false equivalence to the Holocaust. I hope I am allowed to object without being painted as a Holocaust denier.
When I lived in Berlin, I knew people from Dresden. They definitely saw the bombing of Dresden as horrible, but less horrible than the Holocaust, and they welcomed the Allies who freed them from the Nazis.

But many then saw the Soviets as their occupiers. Over time, many did come to believe that "the Young Pioneers of Germany are good friends with the Young Pioneers of Russia". But most East Germans never joined the Party, which was the way to get ahead. They did not believe in the system.

For 8 years, most of my friends were East Germans who would be fine with saying that Dresden was a tragedy and a human rights violation. But they would also say it was good that the Allies overthrew Hitler.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

War is hell. No one wins.

The answer is still blowing in the wind.

The only thing more "foolhardy" than believing in suffering love, pacificism, and nonresistance as a mechanism for justice and peace, is believing that more bombs and more killing and "just war" is a mechanism to make the world safe for democracy...or will end the wars.

What is happening in Israel and Gaza is a tragedy of untold proportion. As is what happened in Dresden and Tokyo.
4 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:02 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:16 pm It seems from the articles that the far right use this event to minimize or draw false equivalence to the Holocaust. I hope I am allowed to object without being painted as a Holocaust denier.
When I lived in Berlin, I knew people from Dresden. They definitely saw the bombing of Dresden as horrible, but less horrible than the Holocaust, and they welcomed the Allies who freed them from the Nazis.

But many then saw the Soviets as their occupiers. Over time, many did come to believe that "the Young Pioneers of Germany are good friends with the Young Pioneers of Russia". But most East Germans never joined the Party, which was the way to get ahead. They did not believe in the system.

For 8 years, most of my friends were East Germans who would be fine with saying that Dresden was a tragedy and a human rights violation. But they would also say it was good that the Allies overthrew Hitler.
I tend to think that if you are going to fight a war the more humane approach is to get it done quickly or not at all. The state of war itself is a horrible place to be for any society and it is generally best to be done with it quickly rather than let it draw out for years or even decades.

So, in a WW2 context, the Allies and Axis powers were at war due to overt aggression by Germany and Japan. There was very little question about who started the war. The only real question for the Allies was their overall strategy for victory.

Could the Allies have prosecuted the war without aerial bombing of German cities? Certainly. They didn't have to bomb Germany. Neither did the Germans have to bomb the UK or Russia. But both sides chose to use aerial bombing as a tool of war.

How would the war have progressed without aerial bombing? Most certainly much slower. The Allies used aerial bombing to directly attack military formations, bases, and so forth which reduced the mobility of German forces and degraded their ability to fight. Aerial bombing also destroyed German industry which reduced Germanies ability to supply and resupply its armies with weapons, fuel, and the means to fight a modern war. Unfortunately at that point in the development of aerial warfare, targeting was pretty crude. The British bombed mainly at night which was by definition less accurate than daytime bombing. And the Americans mainly bombed during the day which was somewhat more precise but not always as Germany was cloudy much of the year. And they bombed from as high as possible to avoid anti-aircraft fire and German fighter planes which made things less accurate still. So, in effect, the limits of technology meant that aerial bombing of German industry was largely done by carpet bombing German cities. Smart bombs that could GPS target specific buildings down to the inch did not exist.

The Allies also did mass bombing raids for protection. A small isolated squadron of bombers was liable to be wiped out. A massive convoy of bombers with massive fighter protection was more likely to get through. So that also meant big bombing raids compared to how things are done today.

What would the war have looked like without aerial bombing of German cities?

1. The war most certainly would have lasted much longer, into 1946 or even 1947
2. The Holocaust would have gone on for an additional year or two with millions more deaths
3. The cost of fighting the war in terms of blood and treasure would have gone way up for the Allies as they would have had to fight their way across Europe against larger and much better equipped German armies meaning the deaths of thousands upon thousands of more American soldiers.

Those are the costs of fighting the war without aerial bombing. A longer war and many many more deaths on the Allied side.

The price paid by conducting a war of aerial bombing of German cities was unavoidable destruction of civilian cities and unavoidable deaths of German civilians.

Either choice has costs in terms of lives. Did the Allies make the right choice? I tend to think so, at least in overall strategy as everything that degraded Germany's ability to fight brought the war to a quicker end with less Allied death.

So when it comes to Dresden specifically, the real question is whether or not bombing Dresden was a legitimate decision that fit into overall Allied war strategy. Or whether it was a gratuitous and unnecessary act. Hindsight is always 20/20. But the generals who made that decision did not know how the war was ultimately going to play out. The war was becoming deadlier as it progressed and 1945 was the deadliest year of the war in many ways. The upcoming invasion of Germany might have cost millions more lives according to some estimates. So they made the decision to bomb. Was it the right one in that context? I've seen it argued both ways and don't have enough expertise to really say. Did it shorten the war? Probably to the extent that German mobility was diminished as Dresden was a major rail hub. But how much? I don't think anyone can say.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

So, in a WW2 context, the Allies and Axis powers were at war due to overt aggression by Germany and Japan. There was very little question about who started the war. The only real question for the Allies was their overall strategy for victory.
Polish Guarantee
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:51 pm I tend to think that if you are going to fight a war the more humane approach is to get it done quickly or not at all. The state of war itself is a horrible place to be for any society and it is generally best to be done with it quickly rather than let it draw out for years or even decades.
That's exactly the excuse Russia is using to target the most populous civilian areas of Ukraine. Still.

I am not a military strategist. I think I have seen people rise up against people who flagrantly mow down innocent civilians and children. Particularly when they believe that their cause is righteous.

Regardless, I really grieve when I see so much loss of innocent life, with so much intentional cruelty.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?