Video: Why were Southern Whites so bad at business?

A place to discuss history and historical events.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Video: Why were Southern Whites so bad at business?

Post by RZehr »

If cost of labor is low enough, and in sufficient supply, people won't use technology. It's simple economics. I see this in real time as I watch different customers in a countries around the world make purchasing decisions based on their local labor situation.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:27 pmAre we headed for a time when credit card holders will demand Uncle Sam pay for egregious credit card debt? (As is happening with school loan debt?) In the least, increased foreclosures-bankruptcies. As has happened in the not-distant past.
That would certainly be the Biblical approach. Debt cancellation during the year of Jubilee was the Old Testament commandment from Leviticus. In the New Testament Jesus quoted from Old Testament Jubilee texts and spoke to debt cancellation as a Christian objective and obligation. It is right there in the Lord's Prayer.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:55 pm If cost of labor is low enough, and in sufficient supply, people won't use technology. It's simple economics. I see this in real time as I watch different customers in a countries around the world make purchasing decisions based on their local labor situation.
Slave labor was not free labor though despite the lack of wages. Plantation owners had to buy slaves, feed them, house them, keep them around year-round despite cyclical labor needs for planting and harvests.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:00 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:55 pm If cost of labor is low enough, and in sufficient supply, people won't use technology. It's simple economics. I see this in real time as I watch different customers in a countries around the world make purchasing decisions based on their local labor situation.
Slave labor was not free labor though despite the lack of wages. Plantation owners had to buy slaves, feed them, house them, keep them around year-round despite cyclical labor needs for planting and harvests.
I know, and didn't say free. Cheap. Low cost. If I had to dispatch a messenger to hand you this message, the cost would be prohibitive, so I opt to use cheaper technology. Same thing applies in industry.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:55 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:27 pmAre we headed for a time when credit card holders will demand Uncle Sam pay for egregious credit card debt? (As is happening with school loan debt?) In the least, increased foreclosures-bankruptcies. As has happened in the not-distant past.
That would certainly be the Biblical approach. Debt cancellation during the year of Jubilee was the Old Testament commandment from Leviticus. In the New Testament Jesus quoted from Old Testament Jubilee texts and spoke to debt cancellation as a Christian objective and obligation. It is right there in the Lord's Prayer.
well, cough, i never thought of contemporary unsecured credit card debt as part of the spirit of the Lord’s Prayer.
and, i never thought of seeking out scriptural wisdom from the odd person offering answers to everything on the internet.

i suppose, wrt the Lord’s Prayer, i understood “debts” to be more about personal offenses than financial problems, esp not financial problems often driven by consumerism and greed. and baited by wealthy banks for untold profit.

“i owe a debt of gratitude” .. etc.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:11 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:55 pm
well, cough, i never thought of contemporary unsecured credit card debt as part of the spirit of the Lord’s Prayer.
and, i never thought of seeking out scriptural wisdom from the odd person offering answers to everything on the internet.

i suppose, wrt the Lord’s Prayer, i understood “debts” to be more about personal offenses than financial problems, esp not financial problems often driven by consumerism and greed. and baited by wealthy banks for untold profit.

“i owe a debt of gratitude” .. etc.
Debt forgiveness and Jubilee are most definitely Biblical concepts. Both in the Old and New Testament.

It comes down to a question of how relevant you think Biblical principles are to the modern world. And who gets to decide which ones are relevant to the modern world and which ones are archaic relics of a bygone age.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

^^let’s just say, i’m not relying on you to decide. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:01 pm ^^let’s just say, i’m not relying on you to decide. :)
Nor should you. I'm not one of the ones who comes here to lecture about God's will based on a Bible verse. There are others here who seem happy to do that though.
1 x