Anabaptists and the Underground Railroad

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Anabaptists and the Underground Railroad

Post by Ernie »

Can anybody point me to any writings about Anabaptists helping with the underground railroad, writings or discussions by Anabaptists about whether Christians should help slaves escape, etc.?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Anabaptists and the Underground Railroad

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:05 pm Can anybody point me to any writings about Anabaptists helping with the underground railroad, writings or discussions by Anabaptists about whether Christians should help slaves escape, etc.?
I haven’t found much. Nearly all Anabaptists left slave states (including my Quaker ancestors who along with their Mennonite neighbours left NC in the 1800s). Anabaptists were pretty small populations in the 1860s.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

There is a lot of local lore about the underground railroad in Central PA in the Mifflin County (Belleville) area. My mother grew up with it.

The underground railroad was not simply about helping escaped slaves reach the Mason-Dixon line. It was also about hiding escaped slaves from organized bands of vigilante slave catchers who roamed through northern states catching escaped slaves for bounty. That was what the Fugitive Slave Law was about. So a big part of the underground railroad in the north was simply hiding escaped slaves from slave posses even in places that were hundreds of miles from the border.

How much Mennonites or Anabaptists were involved in any of it I have no idea. But my mother who grew up in Belleville definitely grew up with the local lore that that area farms were involved in the underground railroad.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Here's a historical marker from West Milton, Ohio.

John Mast of N. Carolina was a brother of Jacob Mast, the first Amish bishop ordained in America. John had 12 children, and after his death 10 of them moved to this area of western Ohio. John Mast Jr. is of course his son, and Davenport and Hoover are sons-in-law. The plaque calls them Quakers; they may have been, it's not entirely clear. If not Quakers themselves, they were of one mind with them in participating in abolitionist activities.

One of the 12 stayed in N. Carolina and became a slave owner.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited